It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

As climate change floods Florida, Marco Rubio refuses to acknowledge science

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 19 2016 @ 10:16 AM
link   
Senator Marco Rubio is denying Climate Change in favor of continuing the use of Fossil Fuels. He says that he supports efforts to mitigate Carbon output but he opposes any laws aimed at cutting carbon emissions.

Sen. Marco Rubio (R-FL) reinforced his support for fossil fuels and his opposition to slashing carbon emissions, saying climate policy will hurt jobs, as he faced Democratic challenger Patrick Murphy in a debate Monday. Asked about sea level rise now affecting Florida, Rubio, a longtime climate denier, said he supports mitigation efforts but opposes laws that aim to cut carbon emissions. “If in fact sea levels are rising… we should spend money to mitigate that,” he said, but added that “as a policy maker, you have to show me whether the laws you want me to pass will actually impact the issue that you are raising. I have people that come to me and say: we want you to pass these laws on carbon emissions, and I ask them, well how many inches of sea rise will it prevent?” Miami, Rubio’s hometown, has been suffering from flooding as sea level rise, linked to the greenhouse gas emissions that drive climate change, continues. In fact, storm surges and higher tidal flows worsened by climate change could gobble 30 percent of Miami houses in the next 75 years, according to a recent study.

So, Rubio is saying that he doesn't think that any laws passed will affect the Sea levels that much. In fact he says "If in fact sea levels are rising...." which tells me that he doesn't believe they are rising. There has been a lot of back and fourth here on ATS around this issue; whether the seas are rising or not and who or what is responsible, but they way I see it is that they are rising. Sure, other countries emit carbon unregulated but I think that as long as we have the power to do something about it, we should. What does ATS think?

thinkprogress.org...
edit on 19-10-2016 by lostbook because: edit

+6 more 
posted on Oct, 19 2016 @ 10:23 AM
link   
a reply to: lostbook

I think the seas have been rising for thousands of years. And at a pretty steady pace. So climate change or not, building next to the ocean is something a historically challenged person might do.

It's a shame that the AGW crowd has just about erased those facts from view and now, all people see is fear mongering. If more truth was discussed and less hyperbole, I would think many more people would be on board with carbon mitigation.

posted on Oct, 19 2016 @ 10:26 AM
link   
The same climate change that was suppose to spawn powerful hurricanes left and right? Whoops, wrong on that one too.

posted on Oct, 19 2016 @ 10:28 AM
link   
Its sort of true.
Look, We here with our population of 300m can do whatever we want. go green, live like a amish. We are the worlds 2nd biggest energy user.

China has a population of nearly 1.5 billion people and they are coming up rapidly in the world. capitalism is driving industry there and every month it becomes more industrious. People are having higher wages and therefore buying more stuff, making industry fire up even more, etc.
There are entire areas (the size of states) that the air is soo bad they have hazard warnings for just going out..and its only getting worse.

So we can recycle, do whatever, and it wont make much difference with China who in a few years may be double where they are at now.

Then we look at a upcomer in 3rd place but will no doubt start down the same path, India, another billion + population.

carbon tax and such is a band aid on a cut neck overall when you consider the problems. Innovation is what is gonna sort us out. It is the only thing that is going to because people dont want to lose luxury.

There are various "artificial tree" atmosphere scrubbers being worked on. What is needed is heavy funding by all governments working with each other to get this technology up and running rapidly. This will be the only solution, and will also get us moving along to becoming a type 1 planet
edit on 19-10-2016 by SaturnFX because: did a mistake

posted on Oct, 19 2016 @ 10:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: lostbook
So, Rubio is saying that he doesn't think that any laws passed won't affect the Sea levels that much.

I don't have an opinion one way or the other on the guy, but from what I'm reading he is not saying that. He is asking for verifiable proof of a cause and effect before making a decision, something that all laws should need before they are enacted.

Obviously this type of proof would be very difficult to obtain for climate change, but he is not saying what you said and I don't believe in putting words in someones mouth.

posted on Oct, 19 2016 @ 10:38 AM
link   
I remember when they built a break wall and boat Barbour near me
The effects on the tide made a beach near a fishing club wash away
They all blamed it on global warming, rising seas and all that
Nobody explained the obvious

We do damage the environment.
Anyway, the water, the beach, those islands, not much has changed since the first warnings

posted on Oct, 19 2016 @ 10:42 AM
link   

I've done extensive research on this subject..years worth..I'm no scientist though.

There are papers I will link later that will show fossil fuels plays a very small roll in climate change.

Fact of the matter is they are still trying to blame it on man ...for political reasons!!

So many factors as to why the climate has always changed but many researchers are leaning toward our Sun and or space weather as the main culprit.

Have to ask yourself why is ExxonMobile on board with carbon tax? They see this as a money making opportunity... with ...natural gas maybe?

posted on Oct, 19 2016 @ 10:51 AM
link   
I live on Lake Michigan and it's risen 2' or more in the last 3 years just because of rain and snow. Not global whatever it is this week.The places that they put breakwalls in are really getting chewed up. Losing houses and businesses. But if you go to the undevoloped areas you will see the water has been a lot higher in the past like another 15'.

Don't mess with mother nature

Go to a map program and look at Weko Beach Michigan. The water inlet was high and dry 2 years ago now it's in 5' of water and a couple hundred feet of beach is gone.

But not global anything.

PS we are somewhere abouts 580' above sea level.

posted on Oct, 19 2016 @ 10:52 AM
link   
a reply to: MamaJ

exxon mobil fund all the deniers dodgy science too.

posted on Oct, 19 2016 @ 10:57 AM
link   
a reply to: jjkenobi

Ummm...and now that the hurricanes aren't cooperating with the Anthropogenic global warming crowd...they want to change the classification system so that mere rain showers are considered hurricanes...

YouSir

posted on Oct, 19 2016 @ 11:00 AM
link   
More hype.

As populations increase, the need for industry does as well. That means more water is drawn from the ground for industrial purposes. Add the weight of an increasing population and you have a recipe for subsidence. Water that once filled areas underground is now gone, and the land settles into these new hollow spaces.

Andrew Kiernan, a real estate expert from Franklin Street, makes the point that Miami Beach was built on sand, something that would lend itself to subsidence.
Source: dailycaller.com...

Miami is sinking; sea level isn't rising. Sea level cannot rise in certain places only, It either rises everywhere or it doesn't rise. That's simple physics.

TheRedneck

posted on Oct, 19 2016 @ 11:09 AM
link   
a reply to: TheRedneck

It's safe to say Florida will be living with the effects of climate change before the rest of us. How much is the State of Florida already spending on rising sea levels?? Rising sea levels that isn't happening?

posted on Oct, 19 2016 @ 11:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: network dude

I think the seas have been rising for thousands of years. And at a pretty steady pace. So climate change or not, building next to the ocean is something a historically challenged person might do.

It's a shame that the AGW crowd has just about erased those facts from view and now, all people see is fear mongering. If more truth was discussed and less hyperbole, I would think many more people would be on board with carbon mitigation.

Yes, I agree. However, I think we have the power to make change; no matter who or what is the cause.

posted on Oct, 19 2016 @ 11:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: scojak

originally posted by: lostbook
So, Rubio is saying that he doesn't think that any laws passed won't affect the Sea levels that much.

I don't have an opinion one way or the other on the guy, but from what I'm reading he is not saying that. He is asking for verifiable proof of a cause and effect before making a decision, something that all laws should need before they are enacted.

Obviously this type of proof would be very difficult to obtain for climate change, but he is not saying what you said and I don't believe in putting words in someones mouth.

He said: “If in fact sea levels are rising… we should spend money to mitigate that,”

The fact that he says IF tells me that he doesn't believe that Sea Level is rising. I get that he wants proof before acting on it. I, however, question his motives in his statement. Is he in someone or some organization's pocket?

posted on Oct, 19 2016 @ 11:25 AM
link   

This is a conspiracy with tens of thousands of scientists and people who rely on oceans and the environment for sustainability.....didn't you get the memo?

posted on Oct, 19 2016 @ 11:28 AM
link   

I don't understand why we want to continue to interfere with mother nature.

We have raped and pillaged her enough with our will to bring about change that suits us.

If my area gets bad...I will move. The ancient people did that and so can we. We will be forced to.

If you want change start with yourself and go green, drive on ethanol or battery operated car. Plenty you can do to help Mother Earth.

This planet has ALWAYS maintained itself and will continue.

Climate has always changed this is nothing new..what's new is how man can maker a dollar off the climate changing.

Follow the money. The trail starts on the late 1800's early 1900's. Begin with the name John D. Rockefeller. You will find the many interests of our world today even in science but it all began with OIL.

posted on Oct, 19 2016 @ 11:28 AM
link   
a reply to: SaturnFX

China has started doing what the US did back in the day when air pollution was a big problem . Coal was and still is being used and until it can be replaced it will probably stay as a source of energy . But the numbers for Russian coal going to China has dropped in the past few years

At first sight, coal trade with the People’s Republic of China is currently facing a challenging period. In recent years, China has started to focus on environmental protection. Air pollution in China has become an actual threat to the citizens’ health. The country has therefore decided to reduce its coal consumption. In April 2016, The Chinese government took a decision to postpone the construction of about 200 new coal-fired power stations. Coal imports, including those from Russia, were reduced. China acquired about 25 million tons of Russian coal in 2014. In 2015, however, it only bought 15 million tons. The same procurement has been preserved at the same level in 2016. However, this reduction is most likely temporary. Russian coal mining business has good prospects in China. Despite all the measures to reduce coal consumption, China still remains its largest consumer. journal-neo.org...

posted on Oct, 19 2016 @ 11:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: MamaJ

I don't understand why we want to continue to interfere with mother nature.

We have raped and pillaged her enough with our will to bring about change that suits us.

If my area gets bad...I will move. The ancient people did that and so can we. We will be forced to.

If you want change start with yourself and go green, drive on ethanol or battery operated car. Plenty you can do to help Mother Earth.

This planet has ALWAYS maintained itself and will continue.

Climate has always changed this is nothing new..what's new is how man can maker a dollar off the climate changing.

Follow the money. The trail starts on the late 1800's early 1900's. Begin with the name John D. Rockefeller. You will find the many interests of our world today even in science but it all began with OIL.

I wish more people could make this distinction. Some believe because the profiteering is going on that means we arent destroying our habitat....

The same guys talking about carbon trading and caps are taking money from companies making sure the actual artifacts that would help us dont get out.

posted on Oct, 19 2016 @ 11:34 AM
link   
a reply to: TheRedneck

Sea level cannot rise in certain places only, It either rises everywhere or it doesn't rise. That's simple physics.

That is false. There is localized subsidence and uplift of land masses but the rotation of the Earth, the effects of currents and winds, gravity variations, all contribute to variations in rate of sea level rise in different locations.

Average sea level is rising. How it affects different areas varies.

edit on 10/19/2016 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2016 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Do you really believe a few laws are going to keep the climate from changing? Why don't we stop the rotation of the Earth. Climate change is NORMAL.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join