It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do Atheist believe we cease to exist at death?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 18 2016 @ 07:13 PM
link   
That never made any sense to me. When I was a kid we learned in Science class how things transform but they don't cease to exist. Water transforms into ice if it get too cold. You later learn that neither mass nor energy can be created or destroyed. You then learn information can't be destroyed or what Susskind calls distinctions between things.

So life is just part of a cycle of life and death and it never ceases to exist. Your thoughts and memories are energy and information. This is what makes me distinct from you. How can this cease to exist?

You can say a person dies but that doesn't mean the person or the energy and information that's needed for every thought and memory ceases to exist. So death is just part of the life death cycle and saying you cease to exist doesn't make much sense. This is why reincarnation makes a lot of sense. A person's energy and information which contains all of their thoughts and memories is transformed to a new body. Saying you cease to exist has no scientific basis. Saying die is scientific but saying you cease to exist isn't.

There's also growing evidence of a quantum mind. Which would explain why when people have near death experiences they usually become more aware when they go through this experience. This is because the information that makes you, you would be spread out to all points in space. I was reading a case recently where a women got into a bad car accident. She saw them putting her body into the ambulence and when she thought about the Hospital she was there in the waiting room. Her mind wasn't entangled to her material brain and therefore she wasn't confined to the locality of her body.

So again, if there's scientific evidence that shows we cease to exist at death I would like to see it.
edit on 18-10-2016 by neoholographic because: (no reason given)

edit on 18-10-2016 by neoholographic because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 18 2016 @ 07:14 PM
link   
"We" cease to exist and turn to dirt, just like science says. Depends on your belief system I suppose. To each their own.

posted on Oct, 18 2016 @ 07:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: Atsbhct
"We" cease to exist and turn to dirt, just like science says. Depends on your belief system I suppose. To each their own.

Where does science say this?

posted on Oct, 18 2016 @ 07:17 PM
link   
a reply to: neoholographic

Because we do.

posted on Oct, 18 2016 @ 07:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Encryptor

Because we do.

And why should anyone blindly believe you?

posted on Oct, 18 2016 @ 07:18 PM
link   

My webbrowser history and cache is my legacy!

posted on Oct, 18 2016 @ 07:21 PM
link   

Who told you that?

posted on Oct, 18 2016 @ 07:22 PM
link   

I believe our body is a lifeboat for our being. At death we return to death.

posted on Oct, 18 2016 @ 07:24 PM
link   

Humanity blindly believes everything else, what's the difference? One set of beliefs vs another set.

posted on Oct, 18 2016 @ 07:24 PM
link   

I died twice in life and you do not cease to exist. Your energy form (spirit) or consciousness goes on. Everything in the universe, in existence is connected through this field of energy. It is an amazing experience and ended any apprehension of death of the physical body. I learned new things in death that I had not known in this existence in this body. It was kind of like being in a dark room with a fish tank full of life and no light either. Then the light in the tank clicks on and you are instantly aware of everything in the tank. That was the way the universe was. I became aware of everything. I also connected to a universal consciousness that was like receiving terabytes of information every second. It was overwhelming and you couldn't analyze it. Like you said, you can neither create nor destroy energy. The physical body is history.

posted on Oct, 18 2016 @ 07:25 PM
link   
a reply to: spirit_horse

Please continue!

posted on Oct, 18 2016 @ 07:25 PM
link   

If you don't cease to exist because your energy is eternal then that would also mean you always existed right??? So where were you before you were born in this physical body???

If Reincarnation is true then why don't you have any knowledge of who you were in the past??? If you were someone else then that wasn't you know so at some point that old you ceased to exist in place of the new you.

BTW not all atheists think the same thing about death either.

While nobody can say for sure what happens, there is simply no logical reason or example anyone can give for how you could still exist after death. What would you be??? Would you still feel anything??? What do you think with without a brain?? Or senses??? Where are your memories stored at without a brain??? Those and a million more questions would have to be answered before you could possibly make a case for what you're saying.

posted on Oct, 18 2016 @ 07:26 PM
link   
The body is only a container, when it decompose there is nothing left to contain consciousness, it all evaporate in to energy...We are simply just being recycled in the form of energy.

We are also just living because of electricity, when the power is turned off there is nothing to run the motor anymore, and like a computer it stays dead till someone is switching power back on, though the body can not be turned back on as the body decompose, it's a one shot...enjoy it while it last
edit on 18-10-2016 by Mianeye because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 18 2016 @ 07:27 PM
link   

That is quite general.

I don't believe in God; which would make me an Atheist.
I do believe our souls linger on; which would make me spiritual.

"We", our bodies, decompose and thus are recycled, cycle of life and nature renewed.
"We", our souls, are recycled, life reborn.

(in my opinion.)

edit on 18 10 2016 by kaelci because: clarification

posted on Oct, 18 2016 @ 07:28 PM
link   
We continue after death and all our energy returned to its source, nothing is lost or destroyed just transformed in whatever form it's ment to, guess we will all find out sooner or later.
edit on 18-10-2016 by DarkvsLight29 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 18 2016 @ 07:29 PM
link   
To an atheist there is nothing other than the physical which, when it dies, decomposes into its component parts. To an atheist, such things as "personality" and thoughts are nothing more than results of a physical person caused by chemical reactions and the like. To an atheist there is no evidence of anything other than physical stuff so when you say things like "We survive death" the question becomes; What precisely survives when literally everything either decays or is burned up? To an atheist the onus is upon you, the believer, to prove there is something more than the physical. It's not up to the atheist to prove nothing comes after to your satisfaction.

The logic is not hard to understand. Why people believe the crazy things they do is much more difficult to fathom.

posted on Oct, 18 2016 @ 07:37 PM
link   
Also, what you think of as you. As the You that will continue on that is. Why is that you??? Are you sure that you are what you think you are???

Because anything from a good bump on the head to severing a part of the brain or brain damage can completely change what and who you think you are right now. You wouldn't even be the same person who you think you are now.

Because let's face it. You are the product of everything you've that has happened up until now in your life. Your memories, feelings, experiences, etc. Even false memories and dreams. That's why you are who you are and not someone else. But what happens if you erased half of those memories and experiences?? Would you still be you??? Or would you be totally different without them??

The case could be made that "You" aren't what you think "You" are and never have been. That there never was a "You" because "You" is always changing. You aren't who you were 20 years ago and you won't be who you are now 20 years from now. Something could happen today that radically changes who you think you are tomorrow. You are not the same as what other people see you as either. So You is something that is always changing in various degrees from moment to moment and what you think you are at any particular moment is really just a myth based on a few ever changing details.
edit on 18-10-2016 by mOjOm because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 18 2016 @ 07:43 PM
link   
Again I ask, where's the scientific evidence that we cease to exist at death?

If there's no scientific evidence that supports such a notion why do Atheist believe it?

posted on Oct, 18 2016 @ 07:44 PM
link   
Because people have been so caught up in the material world that they fail to see that they are more than just a material body, they fail to see that they are also a spirit that is eternal.

We live in a materialistic society/world and material things perish so those who are fixated on what they see (the perishable material) miss what they do not see within themselves (the imperishable spirit).

Everything works in cycles, we as conscious beings are no different. Death is only the beginning of the next cycle/life.

posted on Oct, 18 2016 @ 07:46 PM
link   

Well, it does exist energy

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join