It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump calls for congressional term limits

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 18 2016 @ 06:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: NthOther
I'm not sure term limits are such a good idea.

Millennials will get into power that much faster.

Do you really want that?

I don't. That's simply accelerating Idiocracy. But hey, the sooner we get it over with, right?

i dont know about that. The Millennials parents and gramdparent who raced them have been in charge with nothing but corporate success. i would be willing to have chimps in congress and bet we wouls be better off.

posted on Oct, 18 2016 @ 06:42 PM
link   
This would have to be a grass roots movement started at the local level. Individual teams in each state gathering signatures and beginning the push. It would realistically take 4-8 years to accomplish..maybe more. The only thing I could see Trump doing to aid in this cause is to get the word out and outline a plan that would work. This is not a top down issue...by design.

posted on Oct, 18 2016 @ 07:11 PM
link   
He might be trying to court Ron Paul.

posted on Oct, 18 2016 @ 08:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: NobodiesNormal
a reply to: enlightenedservant

not only could an executive order make such a change, a second executive order could restrict congresses ability to undo such a change, so yes executive orders do have everything to do with this. and definitely do give the president such ability

peopleof.oureverydaylife.com...

That's simply not true. It will take an amendment to the US Constitution to add congressional term limits, just as it took the 22nd Amendment to add presidential term limits.

In fact, in the 1990s, a lot of States had passed term limits for federal Congressmen coming from their States. So the Supreme Court ruled even that to be unconstitutional in the 1995 case "U.S. Term Limits, Inc. v. Thornton".

Why No Term Limits for Congress? The Constitution

posted on Oct, 18 2016 @ 08:38 PM
link   
a reply to: JinMI

That's the only way something like this will work.

Congress surely won't do it themselves. Term limits are a constitutional thing. It'll require 2/3 of the states approval. ...and that's a tough row to hoe.

posted on Oct, 18 2016 @ 08:48 PM
link   
a reply to: seagull

It would be a long tough battle as it was surely meant to be. Given enough time and information, I'm sure that this would be something most Americans could agree on however. It just needs attention.

posted on Oct, 18 2016 @ 08:53 PM
link   

Yep.

It's supposed to be hard, changing the constitution.

Given the attention span of the average American voter? Maybe too hard.

posted on Oct, 18 2016 @ 08:58 PM
link   
a reply to: seagull

I can't disagree with any of that response.

I would like to add that marijuana is being legalized in various places on a regular basis. Despite little if any support, Americans are fighting for this and to me this speaks volumes on the level people will go if you can get a proper backing in your cause.

posted on Oct, 18 2016 @ 09:12 PM
link   
a reply to: interupt42

Why have artificial term limits? Let voters limit terms of Congressmen at the ballot box. Why is Trump going off on this tangent? It will take him an entire first term just to get 3 or 4 of his already announced big items through the morons in Congress...even if it's Republican controlled.

posted on Oct, 18 2016 @ 10:28 PM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

Cause term limits makes it harder for lobbyest to buy our govt.

The ballot and the system isn't working for the people , hence we have senators reaching 100 years old and dying while in office of old age.

posted on Oct, 18 2016 @ 10:33 PM
link   

The Marijuana legalization is being pushed by key special interest groups, they are not legalizing it for everyone and its for medical reasons as a form of control.

posted on Oct, 18 2016 @ 10:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: FamCore

POTUS can't do sh*t about congressional term limits... just like Gary Johnson - if supporters use this as a reason to vote for him, they're idiots plain and simple

You know you say that but - this is something almost all the voters actually agree on.

Truth is the people could force it to happen if enough of an issue was made of it, because they could simply vote against anyone in office past the term, eventually it could be passed.

Really the only thing preventing it is the people not demanding it, and with the right push this could actually happen - not easily and definitely not by a president for sale like Hillary but everyone knows it needs to happen, next step is just getting voters to make it a priority.

posted on Oct, 18 2016 @ 10:43 PM
link   

Admittedly, I don't know the ins and outs of what transpired. What I do know is it had backing and was fairly organized and is being legalized recreationally and medically around the US.

I was just using that the rough outline on what it would take to get something rolling.

posted on Oct, 18 2016 @ 10:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: JinMI

Admittedly, I don't know the ins and outs of what transpired. What I do know is it had backing and was fairly organized and is being legalized recreationally and medically around the US.

I was just using that the rough outline on what it would take to get something rolling.

Two entirely different issues.

The Right To Marijuana (or non-right) is not something discussed in the Constitution.

The nature and rules of the legislative body called "Congress", however, is spelled out in the Constitution. To get that, you'd need a huge grassroots movement with a number of organizations making it a prime policy. One or both major political parties would have to put "term limits" on their party platform (check into the history of the repeal of Prohibition) -- and it would go from there.

But the thing is, Congress really didn't have any real vested interest in this... Senators and Representatives weren't distillery owners and brewers. However, they all are getting nice salaries and other perks (and staff) and may not have a ready job once they leave government. I don't see career politicians giving more than lip service to this.

They might. But in any case, a President can't simply say 'we're gonna do it' and have it done. Presidential powers are actually fairly limited (the founding fathers didn't want to give the President powers equal to the King of England or other royal rulers.)

posted on Oct, 18 2016 @ 11:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Byrd

Yes, I know that marijuana legalization and a constitutional amendment aren't the same. I'm referring (pun HA) to the type of movement it would take to even get something like this off of the ground.

Grass roots or from the ground up is how this will have to happen. I'm well aware that a POTUS could not do this alone, they could only be a mouthpiece (as previously mentioned). Also yes, by design.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join