It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Trump calls for congressional term limits

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Oct, 18 2016 @ 04:53 PM
link   
I believe trump as much as I wish I had his hair and not sure I take him seriously in doing anything about Congregational term limits.

However FWIW. at least he is talking about a valid issue that just about every other politician including the Clintons and Bush haven't done anything about besides ignore it along with the GOP,DNC, and the MSM .

ClintonNewsNetwork
Colorado Springs, Colorado (CNN)Donald Trump called Tuesday for limiting the number of terms members of Congress can serve, a proposal he argued would help Washington run more effectively.

"If I am elected President, I will push for a constitutional amendment to impose term limits on all members of Congress," Trump said at a campaign rally here. "Decades of failure in Washington and decades of special interest dealing must and will come to an end."

Look over there the Russians ,sexism,racism,immigration,ss,medicaid,jobs,economy. lets just keep hitting our heads in an endless cycle with the same issues over and over despite no accomplishments.

Then expecting the corrupted congress to fix the system it created.
edit on 461031America/ChicagoTue, 18 Oct 2016 18:46:49 -0500000000p3142 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 18 2016 @ 05:00 PM
link   
a reply to: interupt42

Apparently he's not aware that the only ones who can set congressional term limits is....

...Congress.

And he's alienated half the Republican Party and most of the Democrats. They'd balk at it just to spite him.

I don't see any way he can accomplish that or any of the other "Five points" he's presented. (Plus, he doesn't really talk about them in his speeches. He's more interested in yelling about the sex scandals.)

posted on Oct, 18 2016 @ 05:02 PM
link   
No, no, no to a constitutional convention. We could lose the Bill of rights. I don't trust anyone enough for a connstitutinal convention right now and probably never will.

posted on Oct, 18 2016 @ 05:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Byrd

He's getting into office.
We know that.

posted on Oct, 18 2016 @ 05:08 PM
link   

No doubt , he would not have the power to make those changes but I would be happy just to have him bring attention to that EXTREMELY important issue.

If he brings attention to it, maybe the political cheerleaders will realise that you can't fix anything in gov't until you get corruption under control .

We need to stop talking about racism.sexism,jobs,economy,ss,medicare,welfare,religion,abortion, and everything that the GOP,DNC, and MSM has hyper focused on for the last 5 decades, which are the symptoms or directly impacted by the REAL problem . The REAL problem is blatant corruption in DC .

We need to focus on the following issues ONLY:

1. Congregational term limits

2. campaign financing reform.

3. Lobbying reform

4. doing away with super-pacs

5. Revolving door between gov't and private sector

6. Transparency

edit on 141031America/ChicagoTue, 18 Oct 2016 17:14:36 -0500000000p3142 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 18 2016 @ 05:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nickn3
No, no, no to a constitutional convention. We could lose the Bill of rights. I don't trust anyone enough for a connstitutinal convention right now and probably never will.

I agree. There's no telling what these corrupt politicians would put in there.

posted on Oct, 18 2016 @ 05:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Byrd

Apparently he's not aware that the only ones who can set congressional term limits is....

...Congress.

apparently your not aware of executive orders

posted on Oct, 18 2016 @ 05:27 PM
link   

True. This issue is SO big in the scheme of things.

What's the opposite of Congress? Progress!

posted on Oct, 18 2016 @ 05:31 PM
link   

POTUS can't do sh*t about congressional term limits... just like Gary Johnson - if supporters use this as a reason to vote for him, they're idiots plain and simple

posted on Oct, 18 2016 @ 05:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: interupt42
I believe trump as much as I wish I had his hair and not sure I take him seriously in doing anything about Congregational term limits.

Just more Trump "game playing" IMO.

posted on Oct, 18 2016 @ 05:38 PM
link   

So just just ignore the problem? That's the answer?

A lot of longtime respected posters here are losing their credibility this election cycle.

It's disappointing...

Edit:
Congress sure isn't going to push the issue. It's going to take a President getting the People to put pressure on them to make something like that happen. But, hey whatever let's keep it going. Why not Lifetime terms, that way they can focus all their efforts on getting rich and screwing everyone and not have to bother campaigning anymore.
edit on 18-10-2016 by watchitburn because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 18 2016 @ 05:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: NobodiesNormal

originally posted by: Byrd

...Congress.

apparently your not aware of executive orders

Executive orders have nothing to do with congressional term limits. It would take a new amendment to the US Constitution to create them, just as it took the 22nd Amendment to create presidential term limits.

posted on Oct, 18 2016 @ 05:40 PM
link   
a reply to: NobodiesNormal

If POTUS even could make such an executive order, I'm quite convinced that Congress would pass legislation to negate the order.

Then, as POTUS would probably do, they might veto that.

Then, as Congress would very, very likely do, 2/3 of them would vote to override his veto. Executive orders are useless when it comes to this topic. We would need a Constitutional Convention, and Congress won't vote themselves out.

We would need 75% of Americans to demand this, and even then it's not a sure thing (especially with all of the corruption and voter fraud that's running rampant in this country)
edit on 18-10-2016 by FamCore because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 18 2016 @ 05:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: watchitburn

So just just ignore the problem? That's the answer?

A lot of longtime respected posters here are losing their credibility this election cycle.

It's disappointing...

LOL How so? By pointing out that Presidents literally don't have the power to add constitutional amendments?

posted on Oct, 18 2016 @ 05:41 PM
link   
term limits is a winner

does anyone actually oppose term limits?

posted on Oct, 18 2016 @ 05:42 PM
link   
a reply to: shooterbrody

Congress does, their financial contributors also do. That's much of the problem

posted on Oct, 18 2016 @ 05:45 PM
link   
a reply to: FamCore

so typical voters have no opinion on term limits?

posted on Oct, 18 2016 @ 05:47 PM
link   

I don't and have no qualms saying I agree with Donald here.
But that won't make me vote for him.

And IMHO this is just an empty promise.

posted on Oct, 18 2016 @ 05:50 PM
link   

We would need a constitutional amendment, or Congress makes a law that imposes a limit, but let me ask you this:

How effective are "we the people" at actually even "voting" to elect representatives we truly believe in? If you are a Hillary or a Trump supporter, don't bother answering. Both of these candidates have been "selected" to be frontrunners.

"If voting changed anything, they would make it illegal"

posted on Oct, 18 2016 @ 05:54 PM
link   

so Trump can't set up term limits because of congress, but somehow he'll be able to ban everyone, build walls, kill small kittens, start wars, abolish women's rights, and destroy America.

I really like the idea of term limits for congress and the supreme court.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join