It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Another High Attitude Landing Record by India's cheetal

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2005 @ 03:40 AM
link   
Helicopters of Hindustan Aeronautics Limited – the Public Sector Aeronautical giant literally scaled new heights on 2nd November 04 by setting new records of high altitude flying. Braving the icy mountain tops and strong winds HAL’s helicopters set new records in high altitude operations.

An Indian Air Force Cheetal, a derivative of Cheetah with a new engine and systems, piloted by HAL’s test pilot Group Captain A.S.Butola and Squadron Leader S.Sharma landed at ‘Saser Kangri’ in Ladhak region at a density altitude of 25,150 feet or 7670 metres above mean sea level at 8.45 AM setting a world record of high altitude landing ! Highly rarified atmosphere, strong winds and glare of blazing sun did not deter the agile & mighty Cheetal and its crew in executing a safe landing at this awesome altitude for the first time in the history of aviation.

While the Cheetal was executing its epoch making landing – one Indian Air Force Advanced Light Helicopter (ALH) ‘Dhruv’(J 4041) set another record by flying at a density altitude of 27,000 feet or 8230 metres above mean sea level in the same region ! The mission was flown by HAL’s Chief Test Pilot Wg.Cdr.C.D Upadhyay – a retired veteran of IAF and a winner of Vir Chakra. He was accompanied by his co-pilot – another test pilot Wg.Cdr.Unni Pillai. This is the highest altitude ever attained by an intermediate class helicopter. Its a rare tribute to Indian endeavour made possible by the rich contribution of HAL designers, engineers, technicians and Indian Air Force pilots who have carried out these missions with total dedication. An excellent team effort to touch the sky with glory

Excellent indigenous design, perfect engineering and highly skilled flying are the ingredients of such remarkable success – all honed to perfection by HAL and Indian Air Force.

source www.aeroindianews.com...

posted on Jan, 24 2005 @ 08:52 AM
link   
I thought a therad on this was already active?

posted on Jan, 27 2005 @ 02:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Daedalus3
I thought a therad on this was already active?

no no, then the IAF chopper broke the USAF record. now it bettered its previous feat

posted on Jan, 27 2005 @ 12:16 PM
link   
This is a useless and obscure record that I don't think anyone cares.

Highly rarified atmosphere, strong winds and glare of blazing sun did not deter the agile & mighty Cheetal and its crew in executing a safe landing at this awesome altitude for the first time in the history of aviation.

A little dramatic don't you think? Sound a bit like propoganda to me.

[edit on 27-1-2005 by nyoneway]

posted on Jan, 27 2005 @ 01:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by nyoneway
This is a useless and obscure record that I don't think anyone cares.

Highly rarified atmosphere, strong winds and glare of blazing sun did not deter the agile & mighty Cheetal and its crew in executing a safe landing at this awesome altitude for the first time in the history of aviation.

A little dramatic don't you think? Sound a bit like propoganda to me.

[edit on 27-1-2005 by nyoneway]

Th e1st record was in relation to a rescue attempt..so thats got to count for something..and there's a certain degree of skill involved in controlling a craft in such locations..

posted on Jan, 27 2005 @ 11:09 PM
link   
Guys,

Nothing wrong with a little patriotism.. but really this is as over the top as the pro-American flag waiving $hit that CNN does. Please stop. You hate it when American's do it (and #itch about it) and then you go and do the same thing.

Please.. exercise a little restraint. All these articles do is clutter the thread... When not have an 'Indian Aero-Space Achievements' thread and keep it all in one place.. it would make a much more compelling statement anyway.

Regards,

Osiris
(Not American, nor Indian)

posted on Jan, 28 2005 @ 12:23 AM
link   
^^^ Ancient egyptian ??

Yeah ..this is a little dramatic...maybe the thread should be directed at the technicalities of flight at high altitudes in mountainous regions where buffettnig winds can impair rotor craft..lets talk about that..

posted on Jan, 28 2005 @ 02:56 AM
link   
Originally posted by otlg27
When not have an 'Indian Aero-Space Achievements' thread and keep it all in one place

I agree.

[edit on 28-1-2005 by rajkhalsa2004]

new topics

top topics

join