It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Air-to-Air refueling over the Tikaboo campsite

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 17 2016 @ 09:11 PM
link   
www.lazygranch.com...

First of all, I don't encourage anyone to drive 26 miles on a dirt road to hang out by the Tikaboo campsite on the off chance of catching aircraft.

This page is collection of what I spotted from this "hole" surrounded by pine and juniper. You really have a small window to the sky.

I haven't mentioned this yet, but the road to Tikaboo isn't suitable for cars at the moment. Perhaps not even suitable for small SUVs like RAV4. I've never see this much loose dirt on the road. Going up hill, don't stop. Going down hill, think twice about braking.

posted on Oct, 17 2016 @ 09:30 PM
link   
a reply to: gariac

hmmm...more to come?

posted on Oct, 17 2016 @ 09:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: LetsGoViking

hmmm...more to come?

From that spot no. More photos, yes.

posted on Oct, 17 2016 @ 10:00 PM
link   
thank you for sharing. Really cool pics.

posted on Oct, 18 2016 @ 11:48 AM
link   
Love the ALQ-188 pod on the F-16. Wonder what he's doing out there?
edit on 18-10-2016 by cosmania because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 18 2016 @ 03:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: cosmania
Love the ALQ-188 pod on the F-16. Wonder what he's doing out there?

You don't just pod up a plane with a wrench. You need techs. So just who did the install? And why not just get a OT out of Nellis where they have the techs?

Obviously there is much we don't know about Groom operations.

posted on Oct, 19 2016 @ 02:19 PM
link   
Great pictures.

I believe most people assume that Groom is connected to Nellis AFB due to the close proximity. Not true - Nellis AFB and Creech AFB are asssigned to ACC (Air Combat Command) and Groom (AFTC Det.3 from Edwards AFB) is assigned to AFMC (Air Force Material Command) as is Hill AFB - thus the close connection. Hill does have 2 ACC fighter wings as tenants - one is active Air Force (tailcode HL) and the other is Reserve Air Force (tailcode HI). Hill AFB (tailcode HAFB) also supports Ogden Air Logistics Center (also AFMC) that is thought to "own" the USAF aircraft at Groom. At one time the helicopters at Groom were spotted with the HAFB tailcode but when that became publicized the tailcodes dissappeared. The whole Janet fleet (owned by the USAF) has strong ties back to Utah also.

Currently, scramble.nl lists Groom as having 4 HH-60U helicopters and 4 F-16D aircraft assigned. I find this a little confusing since I have never seen any images supporting more than 3 of each type. I suppose it is possible that one of each type could be in a hanger undergoing periodic inspection or maintenance?. The F-16 in your picture is one that is on the Groom list. I believe that while the F-16's at Groom could be used defensively, if needed, they have a primary role as chase planes for projects (just as the F-101's did in the early days) and ferrying pilots as well as getting "podded up" for some special tests. And let's not forget, the pilots assigned to Groom also have to get in monthly flight time. As far as "podding" up, I am sure Groom has all the "techs" they need to get whatever job done whether they are military or civilian.

Bottom line is ACC and AFMC are "apples and oranges". Both have completely different missions.

posted on Oct, 19 2016 @ 03:16 PM
link   
a reply to: zipper104

Note that when Groom had the EDACS radio repeater and Nellis was P25, there was an EDACS system at Nellis as well. (Both EDACS encrypted.) So there is some Nellis/Groom connection, even with a few degrees of separation. It wouldn't surprise me if the IDIQ paving contracts of 99 CONS were used to pave the Groom roads.

I'm not a regular reader of the F-16.net forum, but from someone who is, the idea behind the suspected Groom F-16s is that they were the planes with unknown bases, so by default they were though to be at Groom. Scramble.nl on the other hand claims the 383 was seen at Groom in 2012, but no attribution to the claim.

I'm not arguing against the AFTC/EDW/Det3 connection, but I think some Nellis handiwork is occasionally involved.

posted on Oct, 19 2016 @ 06:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: zipper104
Great pictures.

I believe most people assume that Groom is connected to Nellis AFB due to the close proximity. Not true - Nellis AFB and Creech AFB are asssigned to ACC (Air Combat Command) and Groom (AFTC Det.3 from Edwards AFB) is assigned to AFMC (Air Force Material Command) as is Hill AFB - thus the close connection. Hill does have 2 ACC fighter wings as tenants - one is active Air Force (tailcode HL) and the other is Reserve Air Force (tailcode HI). Hill AFB (tailcode HAFB) also supports Ogden Air Logistics Center (also AFMC) that is thought to "own" the USAF aircraft at Groom. At one time the helicopters at Groom were spotted with the HAFB tailcode but when that became publicized the tailcodes dissappeared. The whole Janet fleet (owned by the USAF) has strong ties back to Utah also.

Currently, scramble.nl lists Groom as having 4 HH-60U helicopters and 4 F-16D aircraft assigned. I find this a little confusing since I have never seen any images supporting more than 3 of each type. I suppose it is possible that one of each type could be in a hanger undergoing periodic inspection or maintenance?. The F-16 in your picture is one that is on the Groom list. I believe that while the F-16's at Groom could be used defensively, if needed, they have a primary role as chase planes for projects (just as the F-101's did in the early days) and ferrying pilots as well as getting "podded up" for some special tests. And let's not forget, the pilots assigned to Groom also have to get in monthly flight time. As far as "podding" up, I am sure Groom has all the "techs" they need to get whatever job done whether they are military or civilian.

Bottom line is ACC and AFMC are "apples and oranges". Both have completely different missions.

Nice quote from DLR there

posted on Oct, 24 2016 @ 05:51 AM
link   

Love the air to air shots Gariac, thanks once again for making the effort to take these brilliant and technically awesome shots!

Cheers
Robbie

posted on Oct, 29 2016 @ 06:52 AM
link   

some really good shots there mate

top topics

join