It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Outrage After Pedals the Bear Apparently Killed In NJ

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 17 2016 @ 11:38 AM
link   
I just had to share this sad story of Pedals the Bear. His was a be-pedal bear who walked very human-like after an injury to his front paws. He was well known in the area and never hurt anyone.

This past week he was apparently killed by a hunter with a bow and arrow. It was a legal hunt, however i believe he was probably targeted because he was an easy kill. This is so awful.

Humans are taking over the habitats of animals and although bears are dangerous, this one never hurt anyone and was loved.
www.foxnews.com...

posted on Oct, 17 2016 @ 11:44 AM
link   
Oh dear, sick..bear is not good eating..why do assholes hunt bears?
This bums me out

posted on Oct, 17 2016 @ 11:54 AM
link   
Hunters are a sick bunch.

posted on Oct, 17 2016 @ 12:00 PM
link   
Well this hunter would have let him walk on past...

Unique critters that have survived to adult hood deserve to keep living in my book.

But something to consider... was it a sport kill or a hunt for food?

I ask because I have known people that hunted to keep meat on the table... in that case I have no problem with the kill, if he did it just for the credit of the kill that bothers me.

posted on Oct, 17 2016 @ 12:01 PM
link   
a reply to: EchoesInTime

Sighhhhh....
Fracking hunter needs an internet bashing!
This is both sad and sickening.
Bad enough it's bear season, let's target the weak.

I understand population control. But this is depressing.

Giving the choice, this bear would and looks like arthritis in the left rear leg.
It's questionable how many seasons he would survive befor his back finally give out and can't hunt for food.
They sould have taken him to a sanctuary. 😢

edit on 17-10-2016 by Bigburgh because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 17 2016 @ 12:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: EchoesInTime
It was a legal hunt

Case closed. Outrage is misplaced and meaningless to most logical minded individuals.

posted on Oct, 17 2016 @ 12:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Irishhaf

Ever eat bear? I guess some can stomach it.
I agree in general with putting "good healthy" meat in the freezer. I have no use what so ever for trophy hunters.
This is pretty shameful.

posted on Oct, 17 2016 @ 12:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bigburgh

Sighhhhh....

That's actually responsible hunting. You remove "the weak" from the gene pool to ensure the stronger genes remain dominant and the species thrives.

posted on Oct, 17 2016 @ 12:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: vonclod
a reply to: Irishhaf

Ever eat bear? I guess some can stomach it.
I agree in general with putting "good healthy" meat in the freezer. I have no use what so ever for trophy hunters.
This is pretty shameful.

Fall black bear is delicious. Black bears enjoy a mostly vegetarian diet in the Fall if conditions allow it. Lots of berries, fruit, nuts, etc. The meat is excellent. Spring bears... not so much.

posted on Oct, 17 2016 @ 12:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6

Sighhhhh....

That's actually responsible hunting. You remove "the weak" from the gene pool to ensure the stronger genes remain dominant and the species thrives.

Bear suffered injured front paws and learned to walk upright.

Those aren't weak genes.

posted on Oct, 17 2016 @ 12:12 PM
link   
Practically a mercy kill.

People are only outraged because they're anthropomorphizing.

Besides, Ranger Smith warned him like a gazillion times.

posted on Oct, 17 2016 @ 12:13 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

I can honestly say i've never eaten a bear, but Venacin is delicious!

posted on Oct, 17 2016 @ 12:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: eNumbra

Sighhhhh....

Those aren't weak genes.

Did walking upright help the bear survive all threats? No? Darwin was right and we appreciate him for it.

You're not going to win this argument. Remove the misplaced emotions from the situation... It's a wild animal. It did not have a name, it had dumbasses around it that decided a wild animal was cute, dubbed it "Pedals," and most likely contributed to it's demise by making it associate humans to food and safety rather than fear and danger. Yes, each and every human being that cooed at that bear can go find a mirror, if they're so outraged, and stare directly into the face of the human largely responsible for this bear being an easy target for a hunter.

Regardless, hunt was legal, outrage is silly.

posted on Oct, 17 2016 @ 12:16 PM
link   
This is why I only hunt humans, less emotional attachment.

posted on Oct, 17 2016 @ 12:17 PM
link   

RIP Pedals... I'm sorry to hear he was killed prematurely. I wish professionals could have rehabilitated him or at least saved him from this fate

posted on Oct, 17 2016 @ 12:18 PM
link   

Truth, sadly.

posted on Oct, 17 2016 @ 12:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: Encryptor

I can honestly say i've never eaten a bear, but Venacin is delicious!

Virtually any wild game can be delicious if properly prepared. That said, Spring black bears eat a lot of winterkill and can have a pungeant taste. Similarly, Fall brown bears (at least here in Alaska) have gorged themselves on salmon so much that their fat has a fishy essence to it... certainly not as tasty as the fall black bears (though it's still edible.)

posted on Oct, 17 2016 @ 12:20 PM
link   

It was a legal kill but not a good one. He was harmless and known around the neighborhood. The hunter knew who he killed as he identified him when he turned in the body.

It was just cruel and unnecessary. I'm not against hunting but this was a handicapped bear who deserved to live.

posted on Oct, 17 2016 @ 12:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: eNumbra

Sighhhhh....

Those aren't weak genes.

Did walking upright help the bear survive all threats? No? Darwin was right and we appreciate him for it.

You're not going to win this argument. Remove the misplaced emotions from the situation... It's a wild animal. It did not have a name, it had dumbasses around it that decided a wild animal was cute, dubbed it "Pedals," and most likely contributed to it's demise by making it associate humans to food and safety rather than fear and danger. Yes, each and every human being that cooed at that bear can go find a mirror, if they're so outraged, and stare directly into the face of the human largely responsible for this bear being an easy target for a hunter.

Regardless, hunt was legal, outrage is silly.

I didn't mention anything about outrage; Darwin was also all about environmental adaptation, learning to continue surviving without his front paws is exactly that. He could have laid immobile and starved to death in the woods but he didn't, he adapted.

The only reason I wouldn't win this argument is because you would refuse to admit you were wrong - I'm not arguing he shouldn't have been killed, or that the hunter is a bad man.

I made one statement.
The bear had strong genes, his ability to adapt and survive despite his injury is proof of that.

posted on Oct, 17 2016 @ 12:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: EchoesInTime
It was a legal hunt

Case closed. Outrage is misplaced and meaningless to most logical minded individuals.

Why, because of arbitrary hunting regulations? Killing him a week earlier would be a totally different moral landscape? That's the theatre of the absurd, every animal wants to live.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join