It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS: Caution Urged Over Portrayal of Wicca in Popular Teen Magazine

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2005 @ 02:00 AM
link   
A story about Wicca in Seventeen magazine has come under attack from the Christian right. In the article, titled "My Religion Isn't Evil", a girl describes her disillusionment with her parent's Evangelical beliefs, and how she eventually sought fulfillment in Wicca. Dr. Walt Larimore of the Christian Medical Association acknowledges the subtle appeal of Wicca, but believes that it is actually "Satanism or occultism at its very worst."

headlines.agapepress.org
(AgapePress) - The February edition of Seventeen magazine has a feature in its religion section about a girl who abandoned Christianity to practice Wicca. A Christian doctor is warning of the subtle appeal of the so-called "religion."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

In his article, Dr. Larimore relates a story about a patient of his who had entered into this "secret society", thinking it was good magic/white magic, who then came into contact with an "evil spirit guide" who "literally scared her to death." (Or perhaps not so literally, as the next line states: "Fortunately, she was able to escape.")

Most of my knowledge of Wicca has come from the various postings on this board; from those, it's clear that Wicca is, in fact, all about "natural" magic, being in tune with natural forces, and developing personal spiritual awareness. It’s difficult to see anything dangerous about that. But of course the forces of religious intolerance have no interest in facts; it's all about the usual, increasingly tiresome "our way or the highway" point of view.

Related News Links:
www.madghoul.com
www.cmdahome.org

posted on Jan, 24 2005 @ 03:17 AM
link   
Wow you know when I was younger my girlfriend had piles of seventeen magazine and I'd thumb through them when I was over at her place and bored. Compared to some of the articles I have seen in there on sex and other risque topics, worrying about a story about Wiccans is pretty stupid.

People don't know alot about them and believe they are devil worshippers and so forth. I know a few and that is so far from the truth it's obcene. It's funny that its ok to give teenage girls sex tips and encourage them to dress like their in their 20's but trying to educate them about an alternative religion is taboo.

posted on Jan, 24 2005 @ 03:24 AM
link   
OMG!

Do I smell another sticker comming along?

Has there ever been a sticker-burning bonfire?

posted on Jan, 24 2005 @ 04:14 AM
link   
The more people know about other religions the better, again the Christian right rears its ugly intollerent head......

Although IMHO young girls etc. are only getting into Wicca because of all the TV programs....because its 'the in thing' to do.

Spacemunkey

posted on Jan, 24 2005 @ 04:22 AM
link   

the medieval church of the 15th through 18th centuries created these myths to convert the followers of the old nature based religions to the churches way of thinking. By making the Witch into a diabolical character and turning the old religious deities into devils and demons, the missionaries were able to attach fear to these beliefs which aided in the conversion process.

Wicca.com article

I am not a Wiccan scholar but I have read up on it a little. The first thing I must say is that Chrisianity, not Wicca, believes in the devil/satan, therefore, Wicca cannot possibly be a devil/satan worshipping religion. Wicca is the worship of the lord and the lady (the god and the goddess of nature, i.e. mother earth) as one divine union; much like the holy trinity but in a duality.

I have come across a web-pamphlet on Wicca that has been put out by a Christian church that states that Wicca is the worship of satan because it is not the worship of the Christian God. This is load of #. It's almost invigorating for me to see how much the Church hasn't changed. It is still a controling political group that demands the world pay attention to its 6-year-old-like temper tantrums because they can't get past the fact that some people have an ounce of reason and sensibility and prefer to think for themselves.

Wiccan Holidays Index

Christianity actually adopted many pagan holidays and traditions to make the conversion easier on the converted. Holidays such as Christmas and Easter are actually based upon the "old religion's" celebrations of nature.

Yule (Christmas):

Known as Solstice Night, or the longest night of the year, much celebration was to be had as the ancestors awaited the rebirth of the Oak King, the Sun King, the Giver of Life that warmed the frozen Earth and made her to bear forth from seeds protected through the fall and winter in her womb.

The birth of a king huh? The frozen earth making this womb "impregnable" (virgin) and yet the ground still bears fruit - this is cause to celebrate.

Caroling, wassailing the trees, burning the Yule log, decorating the Yule tree, exchanging of presents, kissing under the mistletoe, honoring Kriss Kringle the Germanic Pagan God of Yule

So it appears that Christians took advantage of there being no copyright laws; they took the entire Yule holiday, threw a baby in a manger and called it Christmas.

Ostara (Easter):

As Spring reaches its midpoint, night and day stand in perfect balance, with light on the increase. The next full moon (a time of increased births) is called the Ostara and is sacred to Eostre the Saxon Lunar Goddess of fertility (from whence we get the word estrogen, whose two symbols were the egg and the rabbit.

Eostre, or should I say Easter has its roots in the "old religion's" traditions as well.

Two of the most fundamental events in the Christian religion have roots in the "old religion's" traditions - hmm, Christianity seems to be loosing a little bit of credit, agreed?

Before Christians begin to "cast stones", maybe they should make sure their closets are locked and all skeletons are accounted for!

posted on Jan, 24 2005 @ 04:30 AM
link   
Well said Howard.

Indeed, Christianity is a mish mash of other older religions.

posted on Jan, 24 2005 @ 04:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Howard the Dolphin
I have come across a web-pamphlet on Wicca that has been put out by a Christian church that states that Wicca is the worship of satan because it is not the worship of the Christian God. This is load of

The Church really has no choice, though.

They can't say that worshipping a different God is ok, when one of the main tenets they hold dear is 'worship none but the one true God.' With this logic, worshipping another god, or a god/goddess duality, or anything else is, if not actual worship of Satan, than false worship brought upon by Satan's deceptions.

It would be like saying, "All our beliefs, everything we hold to be true, and tell you to believe is a load of -."

Of course, it may seem rigid and closeminded and all that.
Then again, they could be right - in which case the Wiccans, the other religions, and all the 'openminded people' are screwed.
Or rather, damned.

posted on Jan, 24 2005 @ 04:36 AM
link   
Ironic that it's even called the "Religion" section of the magazine. It sounds to me like it should really be called the "Christian Religion" section instead since that is apparently the only Religion that is allowed (without controversy) to be written about.

A common mistake that seems to be "Hardwired" into most peoples heads is that when someone speaks of Religion they are automatically speaking of Judeo-Christian Religion, but that is a bad assumption on their part. There are many, many others that have existed throughout history. Out of all of them, even now, there is still a small handfull that exist and our being practiced. Out of that handfull too, there is about 3 considered to be the "Major World Religions".

You know, it's funny that the most offensive sore within the Christian Religion just happen to be the "Self Proclaimed" Christians themselves. Atleast the most Active and Outspoken ones anyway.

posted on Jan, 24 2005 @ 04:37 AM
link   
Parents should have the right to know what their children are getting into especially if will damn their souls to hell forever. It wasn't those "intolerant" parents that made the rules:

Be careful not to make a treaty with those who live in the land where you are going, or they will be a snare among you. Break down their altars, smash their sacred stones and cut down their Asherah poles. Do not worship any other god, for the LORD , whose name is Jealous, is a jealous God.

Exodus 34:12-14 (NIV)

If I had a child, I'd do all I could to make sure she/he didn't get involved this. I feel sorry for any adults who choose to follow it, but that's their own decision and all I can do is pray that God will have mercy on their souls.

posted on Jan, 24 2005 @ 04:55 AM
link   

originally posted by djohnsto77
Parents should have the right to know what their children are getting into especially if will damn their souls to hell forever. It wasn't those "intolerant" parents that made the rules:

Be careful not to make a treaty with those who live in the land where you are going, or they will be a snare among you. Break down their altars, smash their sacred stones and cut down their Asherah poles. Do not worship any other god, for the LORD , whose name is Jealous, is a jealous God.

If I had a child, I'd do all I could to make sure she/he didn't get involved this. I feel sorry for any adults who choose to follow it, but that's their own decision and all I can do is pray that God will have mercy on their souls.

Pick up a book other than that Bible of yours and do a little objective research. Once done, look at yourself in the mirror and say "I am a dunce" three times in a row. Then proceed to pick up another book and repeat the same steps until you have become open to the fact that the Bible is a big book of Aesop's fables and lacks the credentials to be considered divine (besides the fact that some loonies added some stuff to it and proceeded to fool and control the mindless people of this world).

posted on Jan, 24 2005 @ 05:15 AM
link   
When a story comes out of Christians ministering to young people, the left gets all hot and bothered. But Christian parents are supposed to sit back silently and watch their own children being converted to a pagan religion? That's the height of stupidity and hypocrisy.

posted on Jan, 24 2005 @ 05:33 AM
link   
djohnsto77.....

But Christianity is borne from Pagan religion. Would you only have Christianity taught in schools?

posted on Jan, 24 2005 @ 05:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by spacemunkey
djohnsto77.....

But Christianity is borne from Pagan religion. Would you only have Christianity taught in schools?

I'm not for any religion being taught in school.

Christianity is not from a pagan religion, it is from Judaism. Yes some ancient Roman and other European pagan holidays and rituals got incorporated into Christian holidays, but that doesn't mean Christianity came from pagan religions. It was a sect of Judaism which accepted Jesus as the messiah and later universalized to accept all not only Jews.

posted on Jan, 24 2005 @ 05:53 AM
link   
ok, let me re-phrase......

Christanity incorporates a lot of Paganistic beliefs and idea's directly taken from Paganism.

posted on Jan, 24 2005 @ 06:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77
When a story comes out of Christians ministering to young people, the left gets all hot and bothered. But Christian parents are supposed to sit back silently and watch their own children being converted to a pagan religion? That's the height of stupidity and hypocrisy.

"But I say to you who hear: love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, bless those who curse you, and pray for those who spitefully use you."

"Judge not, and you shall not be judged. Condemn not, and you shall not be condemned. Forgive, and you will be forgiven"

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct your paths"

I'm not so sure you have any idea of what a "Christian", parent or otherwise, is supposed to do.

posted on Jan, 24 2005 @ 06:42 AM
link   
Being a Wiccan myself I have to say that not only is the Religious Right, WRONG, but their own religion was based on a history book written 60 years or so AFTER, their supposed Savior died and was, according to them,
resurrected. Every time I turn around the History Channel, or one of the brain channels, are proving time and time again that the Bible is only correct about 25% of the time. Just as they found the Dead Sea Scrolls, and the four books missing in the Bible today that are present in the two oldest Bibles known to man. These Bibles are on display in London at the museum. The Old religion has been around many years before any of the bible was written or even actuallly happened. We know that from caves and writings older than 4000 years ago. Man wrote the bible from recollections, not facts, they took what they wanted to hear, and left out more than we know. Wicca is not about being religious, for religion separates people and causes disputes and wars over who is right. Instead, Wiccans, in my case, feel more spirtiual, more in tune with all that is....whether its in the trees, wind, or stars. The Wiccan rule requires us to
DO NO HARM, for what you put out into the universe will come back three fold on you. As long as it does no harm, do as ye will. Can any RELIGION
out there claim that? If they have such a loving single entity like God, why is the world always fighting about who's religion is the right one and new ones are popping up everyday. We are not Satinists, we do not worship him, praise him or do his work since we really don't believe in him. We believe in Lord God and Lady (mother) Goddess. Without the female there is no male and if we were all created in his image what does that make him? Half male and half female? I think not. The article in seventeen was a honest and good lesson for young women and men, who knows in their hearts that there is more to it than man made religions admit to. Three years of one mans life does not make a religion.

Love, Light and Wisdom,
Blessed Be,
Mija

posted on Jan, 24 2005 @ 06:45 AM
link   

the medieval church of the 15th through 18th centuries created these myths to convert the followers of the old nature based religions to the churches way of thinking. By making the Witch into a diabolical character and turning the old religious deities into devils and demons, the missionaries were able to attach fear to these beliefs which aided in the conversion process.

Wicca.com article

I am not a Wiccan scholar but I have read up on it a little. The first thing I must say is that Chrisianity, not Wicca, believes in the devil/satan, therefore, Wicca cannot possibly be a devil/satan worshipping religion. Wicca is the worship of the lord and the lady (the god and the goddess of nature, i.e. mother earth) as one divine union; much like the holy trinity but in a duality.

I have come across a web-pamphlet on Wicca that has been put out by a Christian church that states that Wicca is the worship of satan because it is not the worship of the Christian God. This is load of #. It's almost invigorating for me to see how much the Church hasn't changed. It is still a controling political group that demands the world pay attention to its 6-year-old-like temper tantrums because they can't get past the fact that some people have an ounce of reason and sensibility and prefer to think for themselves.

Wiccan Holidays Index

Christianity actually adopted many pagan holidays and traditions to make the conversion easier on the converted. Holidays such as Christmas and Easter are actually based upon the "old religion's" celebrations of nature.

Yule (Christmas):

Known as Solstice Night, or the longest night of the year, much celebration was to be had as the ancestors awaited the rebirth of the Oak King, the Sun King, the Giver of Life that warmed the frozen Earth and made her to bear forth from seeds protected through the fall and winter in her womb.

The birth of a king huh? The frozen earth making this womb "impregnable" (virgin) and yet the ground still bears fruit - this is cause to celebrate.

Caroling, wassailing the trees, burning the Yule log, decorating the Yule tree, exchanging of presents, kissing under the mistletoe, honoring Kriss Kringle the Germanic Pagan God of Yule

So it appears that Christians took advantage of there being no copyright laws; they took the entire Yule holiday, threw a baby in a manger and called it Christmas.

Ostara (Easter):

As Spring reaches its midpoint, night and day stand in perfect balance, with light on the increase. The next full moon (a time of increased births) is called the Ostara and is sacred to Eostre the Saxon Lunar Goddess of fertility (from whence we get the word estrogen, whose two symbols were the egg and the rabbit.

Eostre, or should I say Easter has its roots in the "old religion's" traditions as well.

Two of the most fundamental events in the Christian religion have roots in the "old religion's" traditions - hmm, Christianity seems to be loosing a little bit of credit, agreed?

Before Christians begin to "cast stones", maybe they should make sure their closets are locked and all skeletons are accounted for!

And my friend make sure they don't live in glass houses....you may not be a scholar on the subject but you've done well....

[edit on 24-1-2005 by Mija]

posted on Jan, 24 2005 @ 06:48 AM
link   

Wicca.com article

Wiccan Holidays Index

Yule (Christmas):

Ostara (Easter):

I have to give you a standing ovation on this reply. Well Done My Friend
Mija

posted on Jan, 24 2005 @ 06:59 AM
link   

whoever you are, you are brainwashed by a book....a HISTORY BOOK, who's history is being torn apart daily. Proven wrong, and finding the things the CHRISTAN MEN left out purposefully. Please watch another channel, or open another religious book and see what your missing by blinding yourself to a phony religion written by men who wanted the power that belonged to the woman to begin with and rule the world by spreading their message. Christians have killed and made obsolete many other races and religions to aquire what they wanted, Gold, power, land and rule over everyone because it's their "God given right!" Thats so much bull that most christians should be wearing hip waders to get through it. Go to the HistoryChannel.com and search pagans, wicca, and their ways and you'll see your religion has taken from us more than you know. Christian parents are the ones you see in church on sun. morning and in the liquor stores and country clubs and private bars and clubs on friday and saturday night.

posted on Jan, 24 2005 @ 07:04 AM
link   

Be careful not to make a treaty with those who live in the land where you are going, or they will be a snare among you. Break down their altars, smash their sacred stones and cut down their Asherah poles. Do not worship any other god, for the LORD , whose name is Jealous, is a jealous

Wiccans do not believe in hell. life on earth right now is hell. if it's been proven that most of this book is wrong and all of you so called Christians can't even get together, you have split into so many other
so called religions most kids are confused anyway. How can your soul be dammed to a place that does not exist? We do not need your prayers, since you pray to no one really. It's you who needs our help and prayers.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join