It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russian border patrol opens fire as North Korean fishing vessel crew resists search – FSB

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 17 2016 @ 06:12 AM
link   
I remember viewing a video a few years back when some pirates attacked a Russian vehicle. They the pirates were hunted down tied to their boat and sunk. Put it this way the Russians are the last one I would give any lip to.

The vessel had 48 North Korean crew members on board.

After a search group was dispatched to the vessel, the ship attempted to leave Russia’s exclusive economic zone towards North Korea, FSB announced.

The Russian border guard vessel fired several “warning shots to stop” the North Korean ship, yet the vessel still continued its maneuver.

The crew of the North Korean vessel also tried to attack the FSB members already on board their vessel. As a result “one of the members of the search team sustained a head injury.”

In the immediate aftermath Russian FSB agents fired shots at the North Korean crew to prevent them from “obtaining weapons” from the border guards and further “harming them.”

“Nine crew members of the intruder-ship were injured, one of them later died,” the FSB stated.

After treating the injured, the North Korean crew was taken to the Russian border guard ships.

Well at least someone is serious about the territorial waters and borders.

www.rt.com...

posted on Oct, 17 2016 @ 06:25 AM
link   
North korea really know how to make freinds.......

posted on Oct, 17 2016 @ 06:29 AM
link   
if things kicked off between Russia and N. Korea.. Would be interesting to see what stance China would take..

posted on Oct, 17 2016 @ 06:49 AM
link   
a reply to: Misterlondon

I think they would almost certainly side with Russia to oust Kim Jong Un and try their best to revamp North Korea.

posted on Oct, 17 2016 @ 06:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: Atsbhct
I think they would almost certainly side with Russia to oust Kim Jong Un and try their best to revamp North Korea.

Agreed. North Korea has become more of a liability than they are worth to China. It would be a good excuse to oust the current regime.

posted on Oct, 17 2016 @ 07:21 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

I think china are literally on the verge of forcing a regime change by force.

North korea outlived there use two decades ago.

They are little more than a useless cold war hold over .

posted on Oct, 17 2016 @ 07:36 AM
link   
North Korea is the kind of place that would attack Japan and South Korea even if just Russia attacked them alone. As soon as those bombs start dropping they'd get excited and press the buttons on all of their missles already aimed at strategic targets throughout Asia and the Pacific. That would bring us into the conflict and we all see how we're getting along great in Syria right now so I guess that'd be no problem.

posted on Oct, 17 2016 @ 07:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: Misterlondon
if things kicked off between Russia and N. Korea.. Would be interesting to see what stance China would take..

Already known. The Chinese officials were the ones that drafted the current sanctions against NK. Also , the Chinese have been moving warships toward NK as a warning for them to calm their asse(t)s down. Almost seems as if they are as concerned about NKs nuclear capability as the rest of the world (well almost)
Peace

posted on Oct, 17 2016 @ 08:01 AM
link   
Well that's what happens when you don't do what the coast guard say. Maritime sovereignty is serious business.

I don't expect much to come of this at all

posted on Oct, 17 2016 @ 10:55 AM
link   
so a fishing boat, probably for famished people, somehow represents NK's as a political state basing from the replies...

posted on Oct, 17 2016 @ 09:20 PM
link   
a reply to: odzeandennz

Fishing boats would heave to and allow a search. Spy ships, posing as fishing vessels would attempt to flee.

Haven't been following NK long, have you.

posted on Oct, 17 2016 @ 09:24 PM
link   
I remember in the 70s when the Glomar Explorer was hanging around. Seemed the Russian fishing fleet found the waters around Hawaii very productive. Odd though, the locals never were very successful with trawlers.

edit on 10/17/2016 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 17 2016 @ 09:35 PM
link   
a reply to: crazyewok

I think China will file a "protest", Russia will ignore it, NK will threaten Russia, SK, Japan and the US. Russia, SK, Japan and the US will support Russia's protest and all will go on as before.

posted on Oct, 17 2016 @ 09:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

Right on. They are always "fishing" in interesting waters.

posted on Oct, 17 2016 @ 10:24 PM
link   
a reply to: 727Sky

FSB.... I'm absolutely shocked these koreans are not boxed up in neat little packages and on their way to the local Mac donalds here in the good ol U ESSS EY! I can't imagine the FSB are this friendly under normal circumstances... must have something to do with uncle Sam putting his pecker where he wouldn't stick his finger...

NK is chinese friendly, Russia is Chinese friendly, US is not korean friendly, China doesn't supply a dating service, Russia is happy to put it in anyone who's taking. Russia doesn't poke China's retarded cousin NK and everybody is happy....

posted on Oct, 18 2016 @ 05:05 AM
link   

An EEZ is international and not sovereign territory.

posted on Oct, 18 2016 @ 06:38 AM
link   

Detention of poachers in the Southern Kuriles. Typical situation.

www.youtube.com...

posted on Oct, 18 2016 @ 09:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Xcathdra

An exclusive economic zone (EEZ) is a sea zone prescribed by the United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea over which a state has special rights regarding the exploration and use of marine resources, including energy production from water and wind.[1] It stretches from the baseline out to 200 nautical miles (nmi) from its coast. In colloquial usage, the term may include the continental shelf. The term does not include either the territorial sea or the continental shelf beyond the 200 nmi limit. The difference between the territorial sea and the exclusive economic zone is that the first confers full sovereignty over the waters, whereas the second is merely a "sovereign right" which refers to the coastal state's rights below the surface of the sea. The surface waters, as can be seen in the map, are international waters.[2] Link

So, the NK "fishing" boat was on international waters, but if they were fishing, the fish belonged to Russia and Russia had the right to search the ship.

posted on Oct, 19 2016 @ 09:24 AM
link   
a reply to: LetsGoViking
I was responding to the op where he used the term territorial waters.

He/She stated -

originally posted by: 727Sky
Well at least someone is serious about the territorial waters and borders.

www.rt.com...

An EEZ is not territorial waters. They are international waters. The actions of the Russians were valid and im not disputing that. I was pointing out the difference in the term used and the implications a wrong term can have.
UNCLOS
edit on 19-10-2016 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2016 @ 09:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Xcathdra

Thanks for clearing that up.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join