It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Has America turned into the land of the victim?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 17 2016 @ 11:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: iTruthSeeker

originally posted by: zosimov

originally posted by: iTruthSeeker

originally posted by: Bluntone22
a reply to: iTruthSeeker

Bwwahahahaha!
That was good...

Lol it is true! I have seen first hand in 4 different cities in Florida when my National Guard unit was activated for the hurricanes. 4 cities, same ole thing.

That's interesting because when I visited the 9th Ward in New Orleans, 6 years after the hurricane, I personally saw houses being built by black people who I assumed were from the neighborhood. It really cheered me to see them rebuilding, even if it was in a place that could potentially be flooded again. I suppose it's all about perspective, huh? (And I suppose you had no black people in your National Guard unit at all?)

OP, what you are saying is 100% true but many don't want to hear it because acting the victim is perversely pleasurable, as is assuming that it's everyone else who is in the wrong.

We saw some rebuilding, but we also saw an equal amount not helping or complaining the victim card, and a segment taking advantage of the situation. Most expected someone else to do it all, which is true for things like electricity, but when you scare them out of the area than it might take longer to turn it back on. The blacks in the middle class areas were all helping together with everyone else. I am talking about many of the ghetto element.

Yes we had a couple black guys in our unit. One was in my squad and he was Jamaican. He was one of the funniest and coolest guy's we knew.

I appreciate your response and think it better approximates the truth, which is that, in any given neighborhood you will find those with the will and/or knowledge to rebuild and also those with more destructive and selfish motives. I for one do not have the knowledge to build skyscrapers or to provide electricity to my neighborhood. The only thing differentiating me from people living in the ghetto is that I have the means to pay someone else to do it for me

for an honest and fair reply.

posted on Oct, 17 2016 @ 11:59 AM
link   
a reply to: zosimov

Yea most of the stuff people were doing really required no skill as far as clearing streets and yards from fallen branches, where safety permitted due to power lines and all that.

posted on Oct, 17 2016 @ 12:09 PM
link   
a reply to: IsntLifeFunny

Good post.

It's all about responsibility. Americans, for some time, have not been taught to be accountable and responsible for their own actions. Everyone's a winner, or so they are taught. They expect gain, but without sacrifice. They expect accolades, but reject criticism. They want so much to be a victim that they invent circumstances in which they are victims.

It's a sad state of affairs really. But the USA can do better...it just doesn't.

posted on Oct, 17 2016 @ 02:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: kelbtalfenek
a reply to: IsntLifeFunny

Good post.

It's all about responsibility. Americans, for some time, have not been taught to be accountable and responsible for their own actions. Everyone's a winner, or so they are taught. They expect gain, but without sacrifice. They expect accolades, but reject criticism. They want so much to be a victim that they invent circumstances in which they are victims.

It's a sad state of affairs really. But the USA can do better...it just doesn't.

It is what it is. I don't see it changing anytime soon. Hopefully I'm wrong. The people of this country have a giving heart, I just think we are at a place where a lot of people are constantly looking for approval and to justify their actions instead of doing just to do.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join