It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Has America turned into the land of the victim?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 17 2016 @ 05:58 AM
link   
There are many victims in this world. There are sex slaves, children without parents, untouchables, those in war zones with no way out, cancer patients, mentally handicapped, and the list goes on for hundreds of millions of people around the world and here in the US. I've noticed a strange trend developing lately in the United States: the people who are facing little persecution are acting as if they're the most persecuted of all.

I met someone the other day who was the first I would ever consider a 'special snowflake'. He told me he quit his job, while living with his mother, all because his job had invaded his 'safe place'. Hmm interesting.

I speak with my father, who lives well, works hard, and is a Trump supporter. He constantly is telling me about how the system is designed to get over on him, and how various factions are perpetrating this design upon him. I think to myself 'well your kids went to nice schools, had the opportunity to go to college, and you're living quite nice while also now taking Medicare'. Hmmm.

I look at Facebook from time to time and I hear people screaming about the terrible plight of the nation. Then I see they're driving cars, usually nice ones, raising children, watching football on Sundays on big screen plasmas, with fairly nice furniture, in homes most in the world would die to have an opportunity to call their domecile. Strange.

I see college kids not celebrating the idea of free speech. I see them complaining that others have crossed their psychological bounds and should be restrained. I always thought university was about crossing thresholds and finding a niche. Interesting.

I see the black community, who I have always considered to be the strongest of our society with such figures as Booker T Washington, Garvey, King, Malcolm X, Ali...etc as absolutely exceptional. I see them constantly pointing fingers without pointing one at themselves. There are plenty of victims of poverty inside of this stratosphere, more than any in every paragraph but the first.

However, listen to the music now. They have blended pop music with the idea of selling coc aine, denigrating women to a degree of seeing them as objects, glorifying violence in such a manner that there is really no point to the music. I love hip hop. I love rap. Kendrick Lamar is my favorite, along with Outkast, Childish Gambino, and really anyone with a message to deliver. But this is not the mainstream I hear, and it is a microcosm of what music has become on the whole. It is sad. These are the people who are burning down their own cities while celebrating the idea of selling crack, rioting and looting, and provoking people at Trump rallies. Of course this isn't all of them, and neither is it all peoole in any part of the story. Still, 6 out of 10 black kids don't have fathers. Thousands are being murdered by gang violence, and I hear very little on these matters. All I hear is about people pointing the finger at the other. It's all slightly disturbing, but it's painting a picture.

Then I see the Trump supporters. Man, what is going on here? These people say they're anti-establishment, but follow someone who comes from the elite, has screwed over workers, women, and is now calling the very fabric of our society into question by claiming the elections are rigged. These people geniuenly feel they are oppressed. Who is oppressing them exactly? Most of them have jobs, and live fairly nice lives. Compared to the people in the first paragraph I would say they have it pretty peachy. Compared to the Mexicans here illegally, they're living like royalty. Face it, your candidate is an awful person. It isn't hard to see. Look at the video, view his personality, put it all together and quit bitching that people are calling him out. These people are fear and distrust incarnate. Are we that separated from one another?

Then we have the Clinton supporters. These people thumb their nose at so many it is mind numbing. They've accepted that the new normal is Clinton is corrupt. Enough said. They're the victims of their inability to believe a dialoogue is even possible.

Society has lost its ability to have a conversation. Social media, television, music, and ideology rule the day. It is undenaible.

So hey, instead of defending one side or the other it would be nice to see people stop pointing the finger. There are real victims in the world, people who literally do not have opportunity to better their lives, and I guarantee you the massive majority of you acting like one are merely posing to get attention. If you have the opportunity to produce a better life for yourself then you're not a victim unless you have had situations affecting you in a personal way that were outside of your control to such a degree it has stopped you from moving forward, and this can come in many ways, but in reality the main source of victim is belittling the actual victims.

People who come from alcoholic parents are victims. People who have been molested or raped are victims. People who live in a perpetual state of poverty, like can't get your next meal because your conditions won't allow you to have a chance, are victims. Kids with cancer are victims.

You aren't likely a victim.

Judging by the front page, and the bull# rhetoric I see on this board constantly, I would say plenty here fall into this victim mentality. Don't feel too bad, so does a good bit of the rest of our society.

Hopefully you all take a different route. Maybe then you could have a conversation with one another about how we start to begin helping the real victims of the world find some peace while rebuilding a society that works for all of us instead of promoting posers shouting at one another.
edit on 17-10-2016 by IsntLifeFunny because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 17 2016 @ 06:11 AM
link   
Everyone in America hasn't had to struggle to survive for basic needs in a long time now. Ever since WWII and the depression. The sense of entitlement and the plights of the comfort lifestyle has become the norm now.

Anything that would happen such as a nationwide catastrophe many would die at the fact they would be unwilling to accept the new reality of having to survive for basic needs once more.

So many people would struggle at trying to maintain their creature comforts of luxury in a world where non would exist. Only the strong and the ones who will adapt will live.

Sad state of affairs if that ever happens. The average person in the United States has become too used to entitlement.

I am speaking in terms of the victimization as a whole.
edit on 17-10-2016 by 4N0M4LY because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 17 2016 @ 06:12 AM
link   

Then I see the Trump supporters. Man, what is going on here? These people say they're anti-establishment,

Trump's millions of supporters are fed up with politics as usual. They are anti establishment in that sense.

but follow someone who comes from the elite, has screwed over workers, women, and is now calling the very fabric of our society into question by claiming the elections are rigged.

Ask Bernie Sanders how he feels about election rigging.

Rigged nominations.

posted on Oct, 17 2016 @ 06:17 AM
link   
Speaking of politics the above poster is correct, Many of people as a whole are anti-establishment and are tired of the lies and see the daily censorship. It's truely sickening.
edit on 17-10-2016 by 4N0M4LY because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 17 2016 @ 06:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: ColeYounger

Then I see the Trump supporters. Man, what is going on here? These people say they're anti-establishment,

Trump's millions of supporters are fed up with politics as usual. They are anti establishment in that sense.

but follow someone who comes from the elite, has screwed over workers, women, and is now calling the very fabric of our society into question by claiming the elections are rigged.

Rigged nominations.

Okay. Feel like adding anything not discussed ad naseum on this board?
edit on 17-10-2016 by IsntLifeFunny because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 17 2016 @ 07:22 AM
link   
It's the instant burrito participation trophy mentality catching up and biting us on the butt.

posted on Oct, 17 2016 @ 07:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: IsntLifeFunny

originally posted by: ColeYounger

Rigged nominations.

Okay. Feel like adding anything not discussed ad naseum on this board?

.....he said, while adding nothing himself.

Like several I've talked to, it's not that they think Trump is the best choice, it's just the best from what is given us. Clinton is, without a question, the worst choice for President ever presented to the American people. Obviously, undeniably corrupt, willing to subvert the justice system to get her way, more than willing to sell out to the highest bidder and in my honest opinion, a danger to the people of this country.
Trump is not a good choice, but a Clinton administration and the Liberal policies that will follow, should make any thinking person very, very nervous.

posted on Oct, 17 2016 @ 07:37 AM
link   
a reply to: IsntLifeFunny

I see the black community, who I have always considered to be the strongest of our society

The sky scrapers in their "neighborhoods" and the technological feats they have built and accomplished are amazing. Their civil and community duties and "strong" family values exceed the rest of the world's and should be an example for everyone to follow. In times of disaster or mental distress, they are the first (and strongest) to come together in a peaceful manner as a whole and rebuild. Without their immense strength and enthusiasm, we would have no other people's to look to as an example on how to live and thrive in a civilized society. The world should take note.

posted on Oct, 17 2016 @ 08:03 AM
link   
a reply to: iTruthSeeker

Bwwahahahaha!
That was good...

posted on Oct, 17 2016 @ 08:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

Bwwahahahaha!
That was good...

Lol it is true! I have seen first hand in 4 different cities in Florida when my National Guard unit was activated for the hurricanes. 4 cities, same ole thing.

posted on Oct, 17 2016 @ 08:30 AM
link   
That went racist quick enough.

White mans burden, keeping the black man down.

In other news, this lament sounds like it comes from people that never had anything bad happen to them.

posted on Oct, 17 2016 @ 08:30 AM
link   

More than one thing can be true at the same time.

I think on the one hand, this world will be whatever you want it to be. My wife and I both were born into financially poor families and so we started our joint journey in this world very financially poor. Over the years we managed to build careers and create a life where we were able to purchase a home of our own, drive late model cars and send our son to private school. So in that sense, this is not the "Land of Victimization." This is, in fact, the "Land of Opportunity."

On the other hand, despite our successes, we are fully aware that at every turn, the cards are stacked against us. We make enough income to pay taxes (in an amount that I find sickening based on return on investment) yet we don't make enough to "shelter" our income to avoid said taxes like the "rich" folks do. We also make enough where we pay our own way and don't have other people paying for our healthcare, nor do we have free "Obama-phones". We also pay our mortgage and don't have "other people" subsidizing our housing costs (nor do we have people paying for our groceries) as so many others do.

So, if my wife and I wanted to consider ourselves victims, we certainly would have an argument (because the rich people AND the poor people are getting over on us). However, that is not the mentality we choose to have. We aren't victims. We are our own champions.

To the general point I think you were making. Although we hear more from the crybabies than we do those who just get up and go to work and take care of our families.... in some ways we are a nation of self-proclaimed victims.

posted on Oct, 17 2016 @ 08:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: iTruthSeeker

I see the black community, who I have always considered to be the strongest of our society

The sky scrapers in their "neighborhoods" and the technological feats they have built and accomplished are amazing. Their civil and community duties and "strong" family values exceed the rest of the world's and should be an example for everyone to follow. In times of disaster or mental distress, they are the first (and strongest) to come together in a peaceful manner as a whole and rebuild. Without their immense strength and enthusiasm, we would have no other people's to look to as an example on how to live and thrive in a civilized society. The world should take note.

One of the reasons for my post was to bring this out. This is what I'm talking about. This exact language is the prerequisite.

posted on Oct, 17 2016 @ 08:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: eluryh22

in some ways we are a nation of self-proclaimed victims.

I believe you had the internal dialogue that brought you to this through your own post.

We are all victims. Maslow's hierarchy of needs is a very real philosophy and understanding of how people interpret the world. It is when a society loses context that the walls of conversation break down.
Look nothing further than the posts above my friend.

I personally believe the pendulum will swing back the other way at some point. I've begun to see it with people randomly talking to one another, almost with the subconscious reasoning of stating their humanity to have it recognized without the need to be making a point.

posted on Oct, 17 2016 @ 09:19 AM
link   

Bwwahahahaha!
That was good...

Lol it is true! I have seen first hand in 4 different cities in Florida when my National Guard unit was activated for the hurricanes. 4 cities, same ole thing.

That's interesting because when I visited the 9th Ward in New Orleans, 6 years after the hurricane, I personally saw houses being built by black people who I assumed were from the neighborhood. It really cheered me to see them rebuilding, even if it was in a place that could potentially be flooded again. I suppose it's all about perspective, huh? (And I suppose you had no black people in your National Guard unit at all?)

OP, what you are saying is 100% true but many don't want to hear it because acting the victim is perversely pleasurable, as is assuming that it's everyone else who is in the wrong.

edit on 17-10-2016 by zosimov because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 17 2016 @ 10:27 AM
link   

Very well written,

I would also make a case for "The Land of Entitlement"

S+F

posted on Oct, 17 2016 @ 10:27 AM
link   
Double
edit on 17-10-2016 by frostie because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 17 2016 @ 10:28 AM
link   
Triple
edit on 17-10-2016 by frostie because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 17 2016 @ 10:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

That went racist quick enough.

White mans burden, keeping the black man down.

In other news, this lament sounds like it comes from people that never had anything bad happen to them.

What is racist? I pointed out facts and real life observations that I have witnessed many times over. I have seen first hand, neighborhood A, tons of people out in the street with chainsaws, axes, hand saws, shovels and trucks, clearing branches from their neighbors cars and houses.
I have seen first hand, neighborhood A, stand in line in and orderly fashion while we handed out water. People shared and rebuilt and relied on each other. The people of neighborhood A do not really see themselves as victims, but more as a stroke of bad luck and they go on to effectively and logistically clean up and fix things together.

Neighborhood B see's themselves as victims, but in a different way. Not just victims of the storms, but victims of the aftermath. We had to enforce a curfew at night that was set up by the Police, because of some "incidents" that were caused by the people from neighborhood B. Some people in our unit were assigned to help pull security for the electric company trucks. One or two were stolen and a couple were shot at, by the people from neighborhood B. Crime was an every night things in areas that were not heavily protected.

No matter where we were assigned, we always had at least one LEO with us, so we heard all of the radio traffic. The very vast majority of it was being caused by the people from B. Trying to get supplies or help in a neighborhood B is a feat in and of itself. On the one hand, since they believe they are "victims" want the water and MRE's, and they want them NOW. Orderly fashion? I don't think so. It was almost like on TV when you see relief aid being dropped in a 3rd world country, and the pickup truck full of criminals fight for control, rather than civilly dispersing the goods.

Keep in mind this was 4-5 different cities that we were ultimately called into, stretching from central Florida all the way to the panhandle. We didn't just get unlucky and hit a bad one.

My observations from first hand experience on what happens after a disaster are just that, observations. If what I saw is somehow racist than how do you suggest that I "un-see" it?

posted on Oct, 17 2016 @ 10:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: zosimov

Bwwahahahaha!
That was good...

That's interesting because when I visited the 9th Ward in New Orleans, 6 years after the hurricane, I personally saw houses being built by black people who I assumed were from the neighborhood. It really cheered me to see them rebuilding, even if it was in a place that could potentially be flooded again. I suppose it's all about perspective, huh? (And I suppose you had no black people in your National Guard unit at all?)

OP, what you are saying is 100% true but many don't want to hear it because acting the victim is perversely pleasurable, as is assuming that it's everyone else who is in the wrong.

We saw some rebuilding, but we also saw an equal amount not helping or complaining the victim card, and a segment taking advantage of the situation. Most expected someone else to do it all, which is true for things like electricity, but when you scare them out of the area than it might take longer to turn it back on. The blacks in the middle class areas were all helping together with everyone else. I am talking about many of the ghetto element.

Yes we had a couple black guys in our unit. One was in my squad and he was Jamaican. He was one of the funniest and coolest guy's we knew.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join