It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Donald Trump thinks SNL is rigging the election and should be canceled

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 16 2016 @ 01:34 PM
link   
Trump states opening up libal laws.

Good luck Mr Trump...

Donald Trump's latest threat against the media came Friday at a rally in Texas. Once elected president, Trump promised, he will "open up" federal libel laws to make it easier to sue news outlets like The Washington Post and New York Times

Link

edit on 10/16/2016 by roadgravel because: fix link

posted on Oct, 16 2016 @ 01:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Kali74

Yep.

That is why Donalds is call for drug testss before the debate.

He knows he has nothing to hide.

posted on Oct, 16 2016 @ 01:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
a reply to: UKTruth

So, no negative Op-eds in newspapers anymore?
So, no need for a plaintiff to prove that the paper lied? He just automatically wins lots of money because...why?

Your argument is nonsense because Trump said he wants to open up libel laws - he did not say he wants to be the judge in such a case. He did not say there would not be any legal representation or process.
Op-eds do not need to accuse people of crimes without any evidence.
edit on 16/10/2016 by UKTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2016 @ 01:39 PM
link   

Trump said he wants to open up libel laws - he did not say he wants to be the judge in such a case.

Trump says a lot of things. Most, like this, are nonsensical.

What does he mean by "open up libel law?" How would he have them changed. (Putting aside for the moment, that they are for the most part state statutes.) How are current laws preventing anyone from suing the NYT?

edit on 10/16/2016 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2016 @ 01:41 PM
link   

What does he mean by "open up libel law?" How would he have them changed. (Putting aside for the moment, that they are for the most part state statutes.)

You'd have to ask him. I am just stating that the false accusation that he wants to close down the media for writing things that he doesn't like are complete nonsense, peddled by both those who know better and also by fools who jump to the first anti-Trump conclusion they can think of.

posted on Oct, 16 2016 @ 01:43 PM
link   

I am just stating that the false accusation that he wants to close down the media for writing things that he doesn't like are complete nonsense,
Who said he wants to close down the media? He just wants to automatically get lots of money if they write something he doesn't like.

He wants to "open up" libel laws. It's such typical Trump blather.

edit on 10/16/2016 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2016 @ 01:43 PM
link   
Trump did not say anything about SNL "rigging the election."

He said they are biased in favor of hillary. That is an indisputable fact.

He said the showis bboring and unfunny. Another fact.

What abunch of thin-skinned hillbots who can't handle criticsm of their propaganda machine!

edit on 16-10-2016 by Deny Arrogance because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2016 @ 01:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: UKTruth

originally posted by: underwerks

originally posted by: ManBehindTheMask

originally posted by: Gryphon66
A "man" who wants to be President is fighting with a television show.

If you want to give this "man" the nuke codes, for whatever reason, you're as nutty as he is.

Not only would he have the Nuke codes, this idiot and his temper tantrums is doing exactly what hes done before........

Advocating shutting down forms of media that says things he doesnt like......

A few years ago when Obama was picking and choosing media to let in on meetings, Conservatives like myself were APPALLED that anyone in that position of power would stifle any media outlet.......

Now Trump supporters are advocating for it, or outright ignoring Trumps repeated threats of doing just that.....

They have lost their damn minds

Trump has said he would open up liable laws so people could sue the media more easily if they slandered and lied. That has nothing to do with shutting down the media in some Dystopian future you are trying to scare people with.

What kind of effect do you think it would have on what writers write if there's always a possibility that thanks to Trump "opening" up libel laws (whatever that really means outside of TrumpSpeak) they may get arrested and fined for writing something that is actual truth but doesn't go along with what Trump wants to hear about himself? This is one of the most insidious forms of censorship. He's in effect using his power to squash any opinion he doesn't agree with.

No, any reporter who actually tells the truth and has the required evidence for any claim against another person would be safe from any problem. That is how it should it be. You are effectively saying it's insidious to hold the press to account and ensure they report the truth. Everyone should be free to say whatever they want, but not free from the consequences.

We already have libel laws that take care of everything you just posted. Trump wants to go further, and make it easier to sue for news coverage that's unfavorable even if it's true. I never stated it's insidious to hold the press to account and ensure they report the truth. Quite the opposite. I'm talking about opinion pieces, which Trump wants to be able to silence if they aren't Trump-positive. Any further "opening" of our libel laws by a Trump admin would be government censorship, headed towards fascism, plain and simple.

Totally untrue -

Please link me any statement from Trump that says he wants to open libel laws for people to sue just because they don't like what is written about them even if it is true.

Lol. What do you think Trump means when he wants to "open up libel laws"? If you print falsehoods about someone you can already be sued and possibly go to jail. What you're talking about Trump meaning is already covered under existing laws. I'm by no means an expert in TrumpSpeak, so maybe you can explain it to me.

edit on 16-10-2016 by underwerks because: (no reason given)

link   

What does he mean by "open up libel law?" How would he have them changed. (Putting aside for the moment, that they are for the most part state statutes.)

You'd have to ask him. I am just stating that the false accusation that he wants to close down the media for writing things that he doesn't like are complete nonsense, peddled by both those who know better and also by fools who jump to the first anti-Trump conclusion they can think of.

To this day, people still bring this up as a reason to avoid Trump. Of course, he is not going to open up any libel laws. It was simply a threat to a lying media.

link   
The only positive I can see if Trump wins is that we will have tons of great comedy to cheer us up as the country is ruined.

I can't figure out a positive if she wins. Election day should be renamed as pick your poison day.

posted on Oct, 16 2016 @ 01:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Deny Arrogance

Trump did not say anything about SNL "rigging the election."

Actually, he did.

posted on Oct, 16 2016 @ 01:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope

Of course, he is not going to open up any libel laws. It was simply a threat to a lying media.

You mean, as usual, he's talking out of his ass? That, I would believe.

posted on Oct, 16 2016 @ 01:47 PM
link   

I am just stating that the false accusation that he wants to close down the media for writing things that he doesn't like are complete nonsense,
Who said he wants to close down the media. He just wants to automatically get lots of money if they write something he doesn't like.

Read up.
Your second point is also nonsense. Where has the word 'automatically' come from and how did you reach a conclusion this mythical automatic payout would be base don whether he liked the article or not?

link   
a reply to: LesMisanthrope

So, typical Trump blather.

link   

To this day, people still bring this up as a reason to avoid Trump. Of course, he is not going to open up any libel laws. It was simply a threat to a lying media.

Translation- He was lying.

The irony.

posted on Oct, 16 2016 @ 01:48 PM
link   

a reply to: LesMisanthrope

So, typical Trump blather.

If you want to call it that. He calls it "truthful hyperbole".

posted on Oct, 16 2016 @ 01:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

No he said "the media is rigging the election."

There is no denying the media is blatantly biased for Hillary and against Trump,

he is not talking about them rigging voting machines or messing with the official tallying of ballots.
edit on 16-10-2016 by Deny Arrogance because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2016 @ 01:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: Grimpachi

Translation- He was lying.

The irony.

Except he was making the point that the media is writing hitpieces.

posted on Oct, 16 2016 @ 01:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: ManBehindTheMask

originally posted by: Gryphon66
A "man" who wants to be President is fighting with a television show.

If you want to give this "man" the nuke codes, for whatever reason, you're as nutty as he is.

Not only would he have the Nuke codes, this idiot and his temper tantrums is doing exactly what hes done before........

Advocating shutting down forms of media that says things he doesnt like......

A few years ago when Obama was picking and choosing media to let in on meetings, Conservatives like myself were APPALLED that anyone in that position of power would stifle any media outlet.......

Now Trump supporters are advocating for it, or outright ignoring Trumps repeated threats of doing just that.....

They have lost their damn minds

Trump has said he would open up liable laws so people could sue the media more easily if they slandered and lied. That has nothing to do with shutting down the media in some Dystopian future you are trying to scare people with.

What kind of effect do you think it would have on what writers write if there's always a possibility that thanks to Trump "opening" up libel laws (whatever that really means outside of TrumpSpeak) they may get arrested and fined for writing something that is actual truth but doesn't go along with what Trump wants to hear about himself? This is one of the most insidious forms of censorship. He's in effect using his power to squash any opinion he doesn't agree with.

No, any reporter who actually tells the truth and has the required evidence for any claim against another person would be safe from any problem. That is how it should it be. You are effectively saying it's insidious to hold the press to account and ensure they report the truth. Everyone should be free to say whatever they want, but not free from the consequences.

We already have libel laws that take care of everything you just posted. Trump wants to go further, and make it easier to sue for news coverage that's unfavorable even if it's true. I never stated it's insidious to hold the press to account and ensure they report the truth. Quite the opposite. I'm talking about opinion pieces, which Trump wants to be able to silence if they aren't Trump-positive. Any further "opening" of our libel laws by a Trump admin would be government censorship, headed towards fascism, plain and simple.

Totally untrue -

Please link me any statement from Trump that says he wants to open libel laws for people to sue just because they don't like what is written about them even if it is true.

Lol. What do you think Trump means when he wants to "open up libel laws"? If you print falsehoods about someone you can already be sued and possibly go to jail. What you're talking about Trump meaning is already covered under existing laws. I'm by no means an expert in TrumpSpeak, so maybe you can explain it to me.

You don't have to be a Trump expert - you just have to know the law.
The current law makes it harder for a public figure to sue.

Here it is again - regarding defamation:

Statements made about a public person (political candidates, governmental officeholder, movie star, author, celebrity, sports hero, etc.) are usually exempt, even if they are untrue and harmful. However, if they were made with malice – with hate, dislike, intent and/or desire to harm and with reckless disregard for the truth – the public person may have a cause of action. This was determined by the U.S. Supreme Court and has been re-interpreted various times.

posted on Oct, 16 2016 @ 01:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: kaylaluv

Of course, he is not going to open up any libel laws. It was simply a threat to a lying media.

You mean, as usual, he's talking out of his ass? That, I would believe.

Specifically it was out of his mouth.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join