It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Media Hoaxed After Magazine Prints Interview with Trump that Never Happened

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 17 2016 @ 12:41 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

The thing is, we got where we are by discovering the benefits of widening the family circle. Bestow on everyone the same altruism you extend to genetic kin and expect -- even demand -- the same in return.

I'm no Christian, but this was Christ's great insight. He expressed it in a way anybody could understand. It took millennia for evolutionary biology and political science to catch up.

Nationalism is, to my mind, is a way-station along the road he lighted -- a road we had already, by his time, come far along since the old hunter-gatherer days when you automatically killed anyone you met who wasn't at least a second cousin.

But nationalism is a station the most civilized constituents of humanity passed a while back; nations have been superseded by multi-ethnic nation-states, and we now have transnational groupings of nation-states that work well enough (though they don't seem to make anybody happier, quite the reverse if anything).

I think this is as good as it's going to get. I've made a case for world government in the past, but on reflection I don't think having a single authority and standard for everybody is either practical or desirable. If we want to keep making things better it can't be through further integration but through allowing for more variation within the large integrated community. Tolerance. Acceptance. Embrace.

Metamorphosis.

Gives some folks the creeps. Not you, I know. But hell, I can understand why.

posted on Oct, 18 2016 @ 11:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Astyanax

A good case for nationalism, and even better when it is well written.

Up until now the nation-state is the best model for peace, prosperity, and trade. Hopefully one day a better nation will be synonymous with a better neighbor.

posted on Oct, 18 2016 @ 11:36 PM
link   

My education comes from living life and being good at what I do and I've come across so many pompous arrogant "educated" folks that would have no idea doing what I do.
We will just have to disagree on things if you honestly think big players aren't making big moves to ensure the masses stay in line and they most certainly have a secret agenda. You think the opposite and that's your opinion too. With all your education you still don't know a fraction of the truth, I admit the same but the evidence I see tells me not to trust those in power.
I suppose in your world jfk was shot by a lone wolf and 9/11 was as the official story says wars for profit don't happen and the Americans are the good guys?

posted on Oct, 18 2016 @ 11:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan

Indeed, nationalism is racism.

The notion that a birthright (where you are born, the religion you are born into, the skin you are born into, etc) makes you superior to another persons birthright is the essence of racism.

How does being proud of being a Canadian make me racist? I wish prosperity and peace for everyone as long as they have no ill will towards me.
I think you're confusing nationalism with racism. I'm proud that Canada is very multi-cultural and that last thing I'd want is to see that ruined by inviting people who don't share or integrate into our culture.

posted on Oct, 18 2016 @ 11:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: Astyanax
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

The thing is, we got where we are by discovering the benefits of widening the family circle. Bestow on everyone the same altruism you extend to genetic kin and expect -- even demand -- the same in return.

I'm no Christian, but this was Christ's great insight. He expressed it in a way anybody could understand. It took millennia for evolutionary biology and political science to catch up.

Nationalism is, to my mind, is a way-station along the road he lighted -- a road we had already, by his time, come far along since the old hunter-gatherer days when you automatically killed anyone you met who wasn't at least a second cousin.

But nationalism is a station the most civilized constituents of humanity passed a while back; nations have been superseded by multi-ethnic nation-states, and we now have transnational groupings of nation-states that work well enough (though they don't seem to make anybody happier, quite the reverse if anything).

Gives some folks the creeps. Not you, I know. But hell, I can understand why.

This post reminds me of the saying "the road to hell is paved with good intentions".
I'd love to see a social utopia but it's not going to happen on our life time. I hope I'm wrong.

posted on Oct, 19 2016 @ 12:41 AM
link   
a reply to: TheTory

I think, dear Edmund, that you have mistaken nationalism for the final destination on this journey. As I said before, it is only a way-station, and those who insist on stopping the train there would deny others the benefits of travelling on.

posted on Oct, 19 2016 @ 12:45 AM
link   
a reply to: Slickinfinity

How does being proud of being a Canadian make me racist?

Pride in being Canadian is patriotism, not nationalism.

Nationalism is pride in one’s ethnicity, not (strangely enough) in one’s political nationality.

I think you're confusing nationalism with racism.

Racism becomes nationalism when one ethnic group tries to hijack the nation-state.

I'm proud that Canada is very multi-cultural and that last thing I'd want is to see that ruined by inviting people who don't share or integrate into our culture.

Priceless. The Ministry of Truth would have loved to hire you as a publicist.

posted on Oct, 19 2016 @ 12:48 AM
link   
a reply to: Slickinfinity

I'd love to see a social utopia but it's not going to happen on our life time.

It will never happen.

But consider the political significance of the asymptote

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join