It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Army to Deploy 1st Infantry Division Soldiers to Iraq

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 15 2016 @ 10:35 AM
link   
a reply to: Quetzalcoatl14

I respect your service.

No need to qualify this good sir. It feels weird to me anyway.

One thing though, never underestimate the use of military for political purposes, "optics" (the visual impact and appearance of things), etc. So it may be that for example a certain army group didn't "do anything," but there was a political purpose of some kind, or show of strength.

I get that. I also believe this is optics...Or more to the point, an optical illusion.

posted on Oct, 15 2016 @ 11:06 AM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Um like this guy?

posted on Oct, 15 2016 @ 11:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: hounddoghowlie
a reply to: projectvxn

yep if we had a real commander and chief during the last eight years,

Dont you mean the last 16 years?

posted on Oct, 15 2016 @ 11:11 AM
link   
a reply to: starwarsisreal

Please.

I was a blackhawk crew chief and door gunner. Hollywood does a pretty good job of not telling the truth because it is boring.

We couldn't even shoot back when we were shot at from a building because there might be innocent people in there.

We took a lot of rounds out there, and even lost an entire crew to a remote detonated IED.

posted on Oct, 15 2016 @ 11:37 AM
link   

Actually my point is to cowboy was why does he want to have our armed forces be perverted into an instrument of murder? Hitler did that when he made Germany's armed forces into fighting a war of aggression and also participating in the Holocaust.

It wasn't directed toward you though.

posted on Oct, 15 2016 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Actually my point is to cowboy was why does he want to have our armed forces be perverted into an instrument of murder?

Killing is what ARMED forces do.

What the hell do you think military forces are for? Spreading peace?

posted on Oct, 15 2016 @ 11:48 AM
link   

I know the military is for killing but from what I'm seeing cowboy wants to make our armed forces go and wage a pointless war that will cost the lives of both our forces and Iraqis.
edit on 10/15/2016 by starwarsisreal because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 15 2016 @ 11:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: starwarsisreal

I know the military is for killing but from what I'm seeing cowboy wants to make our armed forces go and wage a pointless war that will cost the lives of both our forces and Iraqis.

That's not what he said or meant.

You're trying to infer meaning on something that isn't there.

posted on Oct, 15 2016 @ 12:00 PM
link   

Ah well I messed up then.

Regardless though I don't think our boys and girls should ever go back to Iraq after the mess Bush and other war criminals made.

posted on Oct, 15 2016 @ 12:06 PM
link   

Tell that to king Obama.

posted on Oct, 15 2016 @ 12:52 PM
link   
I go and get a hair cut and miss all of this?

projectvxn answered the questions far more eloquently than I.

Thank you.

posted on Oct, 15 2016 @ 02:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: projectvxn
a reply to: Quetzalcoatl14

I respect your service.

No need to qualify this good sir. It feels weird to me anyway.

One thing though, never underestimate the use of military for political purposes, "optics" (the visual impact and appearance of things), etc. So it may be that for example a certain army group didn't "do anything," but there was a political purpose of some kind, or show of strength.

I get that. I also believe this is optics...Or more to the point, an optical illusion.
Right, agree. I'm not a supporter of much of it. I'm always interested to hear what people with military exp think of all that's going on.

posted on Oct, 15 2016 @ 03:00 PM
link   

Presumably the headquarters staff was sent over to advise the headquarters staff of Iraqi divisions to improve their...unique approach to commanding military formations.

Really they shouldn't see combat at all, not being combat personnel.

Unless the divisional headquarters is totally overrun, which I admit is a possibility given the breathtaking incompetence on the part of the leadership of the New Iraqi Army.

At least they're not as bad as the Afghan National Army though

posted on Oct, 15 2016 @ 03:12 PM
link   

That's, one can only imagine, a tangled and convoluted mess.

posted on Oct, 15 2016 @ 03:13 PM
link   

Not necessarily do that, but train to do that, and just that. Leave this damned "nation building" crap for the folks living there.

posted on Oct, 15 2016 @ 04:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Ohanka

At least they're not as bad as the Afghan National Army though

I started laughing my ass off when I read this line...So damned true.

They are better now than they were though.

And the ANSF dudes were pretty solid.

posted on Oct, 15 2016 @ 05:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: projectvxn
From Military.com

The U.S. Army announced Friday it will deploy about 500 soldiers from the Big Red One to Iraq this fall.

The 1st Infantry Division Headquarters troops will assume the role of Combined Joint Forces Land Component Command-Iraq in support of Operation Inherent Resolve, according to an Oct. 14 Army press release.

The Fort Riley, Kansas, unit will replace soldiers from the 101st Airborne Division (Air Assault), providing command and control of coalition troops training, advising and assisting Iraqi Security Forces.

This is the second deployment of 1st Infantry Division HQ soldiers to Iraq in the last 2 years.

Currently, the Combat Aviation Brigade, 1st Infantry Division is deployed to Afghanistan. My old unit.

1ID HQ is headed to Iraq to relieve the 101st ABN Div.

But remember folks, no boots on the ground, ISIS is the JV team, and so forth and so on.

Look I'm a Big Red One soldier. I'm all about bringing the fight to whatever enemy we may face. But at the end of the day this situation is a failure in leadership. There is no clear goal, and no strategy to win the fight. There is no greater disservice to soldiers than not providing direction and PURPOSE.
Great Post! And thank you for your service. One of my best friends Dad was Big Red One in Nam. And you are absolutely right about the failure in leadership. We should leave Iraq and Afghanistan imo. Enough is enough and why are we even there when there is NO clear cut goal? #IT'SAMADMADMADWORLD

posted on Oct, 15 2016 @ 06:16 PM
link   
a reply to: 191stMIDET

Enough is enough and why are we even there when there is NO clear cut goal?

That is a very good question. That there is an agenda behind it all seems obvious, doesn't it? It's identifying that agenda that's been the problem...

Enough is more than enough. It's been a decade plus. Enough of our blood, and treasure has been spent over there. Time and past, to come home.

Our men and women in uniform aren't babysitters. Nor are they bank guards. Their job, as nasty as it sounds, is to destroy our nations enemies, then come home. If you want to train an "ally" (though I have to wonder how much of an ally these two countries truly are...), hire some mercs to do it. I'm just grateful, and I never thought I'd ever hear myself say this, or even contemplate saying it, I don't have any more family in the armed services. They've all retired in the past couple of years.

Misused. Abused. This is not what they signed up for. Garrison duty? Enabling nasty skanks like Clinton to pretend that she's tough, or socially retarded misogynists like Trump to act all manly. F that. Bring 'em home. Yesterday.

Congress needs to grow a set, and cut funding for these two excursions into madness. Force whichever administration is in office to bring them home. But that seems unlikely, doesn't it?

posted on Oct, 15 2016 @ 06:22 PM
link   

Remember this?

LANGUAGE WARNING ...little wussies

www.youtube.com...

posted on Oct, 15 2016 @ 06:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: cavtrooper7

Remember this?

LANGUAGE WARNING ...little wussies

www.youtube.com...

I wish I could have said the same # to ANA pukes.

This is so common in Iraq which is the reason ISIS was able to roll right over those wimps. The Iraqi army is by and large a bunch of useless cowards who deserve what they get when the bad guys come to kill them and take their women.
edit on 15 10 16 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join