It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WAR: Germany Arrests 2 Suspected al-Qaeda Members

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2005 @ 10:57 PM
link   
German authorities have arrested two men in Mainz, Germany on suspicion of planning a suicide bombing in Iraq and trying to obtain uranium in Luxembourg. The two men had trained in Afganistan at al-Qaeda camps prior to the Sept. 11, 2001 terrorist attacks in the U.S. and may have been involved in communication between al-Qaeda leadership in Afghanistan and the Hamburg cell thought to have carried out the 9/11 attacks. The Iraq attack was to be financed by insurance fraud.

www.nytimes.com
MAINZ, Germany, Jan. 23 - The police arrested two men here on Sunday who are suspected of being members of Al Qaeda, saying they were planning suicide bombings in Iraq.

The arrests occurred a month before President Bush is scheduled to visit this southwestern German city, though German authorities did not cite any link between the events.

They said the suspects had also tried to buy a small amount of enriched uranium from a contact in Luxembourg for undisclosed purposes.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I'm amazed these two individuals hadn't been caught earlier given their history of al-Qaeda involvement. Still, I'm glad that Germany, despite its rhetoric, is still a partner in the War Against Terror, at least in keeping terrorists from operating within its borders. The most interesting part of the story is the uranium deal, details of which are still sketchy.

Related News Links:
www.guardian.co.uk
www.washingtonpost.com
www.reuters.com

posted on Jan, 24 2005 @ 02:44 AM
link   
Yes, this looks like a very serious attempt to construct a dirty bomb. I'm sure this story is going to develop further over the next few days.

posted on Jan, 24 2005 @ 02:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by lister
Yes, this looks like a very serious attempt to construct a dirty bomb. I'm sure this story is going to develop further over the next few days.

Yes, a lot of people are saying dirty bomb. But actually it could be worse than that. You don't need enriched uranium to make a dirty bomb -- that could be made with much more readily available radioactive material. Enriched uranium could be used in a Hiroshima-type nuclear weapon.

posted on Jan, 24 2005 @ 12:52 PM
link   
German newspapers reported about 50 gramm and no more uranium. That's too much to be nothing but not enough for a hiroshima bomb

posted on Jan, 24 2005 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by mahsa
German newspapers reported about 50 gramm and no more uranium. That's too much to be nothing but not enough for a hiroshima bomb

Yeah, but we don't know how many purchases such as this are going on, they may be combining small purchases to make a supercritical mass.

top topics

join