It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Designing a Mech

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2005 @ 10:33 PM
link   
Okay. Since there are so many artistic people on the ATS forum, I thought I would share an ongoing thread of the evolution of creating a 3D mech. I was inspired by the guy who built his own, see this thread:

ATS thread link

I stated that I would get out my CAD software and design one, but knowing I wouldn't actually have the money to build it, I thought it would be better to build a virtual model can be animated to do anything and to show off one of my favorite pieces of software, Blender, a free 3D graphics and animation suite that can do many things. I started work on one of the mech' feet and started with a theme of creating a basic construction grade mech or one that can do material handling. Here is the foot design after about 10 hours work:

Comments and suggestions are welcome.

posted on Jan, 24 2005 @ 08:18 PM
link   
Both feet planted on the virtual ground:

posted on Jan, 24 2005 @ 08:57 PM
link   
What class of mech are you looking at? A specific model? It's looking great so far.

DE

posted on Jan, 24 2005 @ 10:18 PM
link   
To be honest, I know nothing about the types of mechs in the games. I always thought a balanced walking machine that mimicks the human torso kinda neat. This is really a commercial piece of heavy equipment but could be adapted into an armored version with weapons instead of utillity devices like construction implements. Any suggestions on what you would like to see?

posted on Jan, 25 2005 @ 09:08 AM
link   
Me? I'd love to see a Timber Wolf...seventy-five tonnes of beauty. Maybe a Nova Cat. I'm an old-school Mechwarrior fan. I don't expect you to know what those are...

ppc.warhawkenterprises.com...

This site has plenty of info, though.

NOVA CAT

Timber Wolf

DE

[edit on 25-1-2005 by DeusEx]

posted on Jan, 31 2005 @ 08:58 PM
link   
Been a little sick, so I didn't do too much, but here are the lower legs:

posted on Feb, 21 2005 @ 09:26 AM
link   
Yeah, it definitely seems your going for the western style mech. I prefer more sleek, agile mechs. Do a google search for 'Zone of the Enders', apart from the cockpits, they look really cool. (if somewhat japanesey)

posted on Mar, 6 2005 @ 02:05 PM
link   
by the legs, it seems like you'll end up with a scout mech

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 02:16 PM
link   
Here's one i drew. It's a little different than what you might be used to.
mech

new topics

top topics

join