It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Space Geeks Rejoice! President Obama Issues ‘Interplanetary Frontier’ Directive

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 14 2016 @ 06:24 PM
link   
Well ATS, I gotta admit that this news has me really excited for the future! Today, President Obama set a plan in motion to advance humans throughout the solar system. The bold 50 year plan will include NASA and private industry partners in several aspects of Space exploration including: habitation systems, life support systems, and propulsion. 6 companies are already involved in this endeavor including: Sierra Nevada Corporation, Boeing, Orbital ATK, NanoRacks, Lockheed Martin and Bigelow Aerospace! This announcement is being made at the first ever White House Frontiers Conference in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania to promote advancements across the “Personal, Local, National, Global, and Interplanetary Frontiers.”

Today, President Obama is hosting the first-ever White House Frontiers Conference in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania to promote advancements across the “Personal, Local, National, Global, and Interplanetary Frontiers.” The President will set ambitious goals for the next 50 years in hopes that the American people will be inspired and strive to accomplish them. According to a pre-release from the White House, one of the President’s goals to be discussed in Pittsburgh today will involve expanding human presence throughout the solar system. He hopes that with the leadership of NASA and their private industry partners, humanity can achieve this by pushing innovation and harnessing the spirit of exploration. ADVERTISING Making good on his CNN op-ed published earlier this week, the President will enable NASA to send humans to Mars by the 2030’s by allowing them to focus on deep space exploration while private companies take over operations in low-Earth orbit or specifically, the International Space Station. The President will highlight the commercial contracts already in place for SpaceX to ferry astronauts to the ISS with their upcoming Crew Dragon vehicle and for Boeing to do the same with the CST-100 Starliner spacecraft. Dragon is on display at the conference while a Starliner simulator will be available for participants. The Obama administration has directed NASA to start working with the commercial space industry to also develop deep space habitats which could safely house astronauts during the long trip to Mars and other destinations. “The idea is that these habitats or “habs” would evolve into spacecraft capable of sustaining and transporting astronauts on long duration deep space missions, like a mission to Mars,” said a joint statement from NASA Administrator Charles Bolden and John P. Holdren, Director of the Office of Science and Technology Policy. “Their development would be achieved through new public-private partnerships designed to build on and support the progress of the growing commercial space sector in Earth orbit.” In order to achieve the ambitious goal of a fully space-faring future, the Next Space Technologies for Exploration Partnerships or “NextSTEP” program was created to foster the development of the technologies to accomplish what will be the most scientifically complex endeavor ever attempted by mankind. Six companies have received awards to start developing potential habitation systems along with life support and propulsion concepts to protect humans during interplanetary travel. The list includes Sierra Nevada Corporation, Boeing, Orbital ATK, NanoRacks and two companies who are leading the pack with their progress in hardware development, Lockheed Martin and Bigelow Aerospace. Veteran spacecraft manufacturer Lockheed Martin is already a few years into development of the Orion spacecraft—the vehicle that NASA will use to propel humans to deep space atop the agency’s upcoming heavy lift rocket, the Space Launch System. While Lockheed has been conceptualizing a multi-purpose logistics module for NextSTEP to initially orbit the moon, they seem to be resetting that plan to build what they are calling a “Mars Base Camp” that will help establish a human presence in Martian orbit and get us there faster than NASA’s current plans to land on the surface.

Wow! The future is now, ATS.......I said before that Obama has to make Space Exploration his legacy and it looks as if he's listening to me. he cancelled Constellation and kept the useful parts, Private Space venture(s) blossomed under him, the SLS started under his Presidency, rovers land on Mars....the list goes on. It's happening late in his Presidency but it is happening. Many of the advancements and achievements won't be realized until well after he's left the oval, however, this announcement is a victory for Space geeks everywhere! What says ATS?!

observer.com...
edit on 14-10-2016 by lostbook because: word add

posted on Oct, 14 2016 @ 06:27 PM
link   
Obama's openness to space exploration is one of the things I actually like about him.

I just wish he would have lead with this from the get go.

The President has my full support on this issue.

posted on Oct, 14 2016 @ 06:43 PM
link   
a reply to: lostbook

50 years......,Nobody participating in this thread will see that.

posted on Oct, 14 2016 @ 06:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Trueman

Yes let's go to mars tomorrow because that is just sooo easy to do.

posted on Oct, 14 2016 @ 06:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: projectvxn
Obama's openness to space exploration is one of the things I actually like about him.

I just wish he would have lead with this from the get go.
The President has my full support on this issue.

My full support also. I also wish he had've started earlier. In his defense, he had to deal with the shuttle issue then the Constellation issue, then choosing another rocket: the SLS. Given all of that, I think he's moved pretty fast considering all of the other stuff he had to deal with from day one.

posted on Oct, 14 2016 @ 06:59 PM
link   

The full scope of the project for expanding throughout the solar system is 50yrs. Nasa plans to be making trips to and from Mars in about 20yrs. You'll be around for that.

posted on Oct, 14 2016 @ 07:48 PM
link   

I'd be happy just with the moon. Can't wait to get those selfies with the ancient structures behind and leaving a sign: "Trueman was here".

posted on Oct, 14 2016 @ 07:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: lostbook

The full scope of the project for expanding throughout the solar system is 50yrs. Nasa plans to be making trips to and from Mars in about 20yrs. You'll be around for that.

Do you think they would let me take home one of those dinosaur rocks?

posted on Oct, 14 2016 @ 08:00 PM
link   

Do you think they would let me take home one of those dinosaur rocks?

that's gonna be one hell of a memento.........

posted on Oct, 14 2016 @ 11:00 PM
link   
This is a pretty big deal for Space exploration, folks...! I think Obama is trying to do for U.S. Space what Kennedy did with the Moon landing in 69'. Of course, this effort is more involved and will take longer but it will be a huge boost to the US Nationally.

posted on Oct, 14 2016 @ 11:39 PM
link   

Went to the moon in less than a decade. Just saying.

posted on Oct, 14 2016 @ 11:41 PM
link   
a reply to: strongfp

Mars is a lot further away and the logistics of such an endeavor have not been fully realized.

posted on Oct, 14 2016 @ 11:46 PM
link   

a reply to: strongfp

Mars is a lot further away and the logistics of such an endeavor have not been fully realized.

Technology builds upon itself. It's not something that goes extinct.
Back during the 60s and 70s going to the moon was rather 'easy', but the technology advanced ten fold because of it.
Going to mars and beyond will take the same amount of effort. We have the technology, we just need the push.

posted on Oct, 15 2016 @ 12:03 AM
link   

Well ATS, I gotta admit that this news has me really excited for the future! Today, President Obama set a plan in motion to advance humans throughout the solar system.

You meant to say "advance the Americans throughout the solar system"? With the USA boycotting China and excercising very questionable foreign policy, I see very little international progress in manned space exploration from America's side.

posted on Oct, 15 2016 @ 12:34 AM
link   
a reply to: wildespace et. al. on the thread

Why would we need to join a coalition of countries if we already have technology that is beyond what is being advertised to be used to achieve such an endeavor?

It has been out there for a while that Ben Rich, head of Lockheed Martin's Skunkworks division, said that if ET (the little dude who is friends with Elliot) was marooned here on earth that we (humans) have the technology to take him back home? In other words, in most respects we do not need China (or Russia, or North Korea, or India, or name any other country that we are not strong allies with). We can already do this.

Pretty sure the secret space program exists. Pretty sure the moon is old hat. Pretty sure Mars is just a staging space for further endeavors. Word around ATS (forgot where I read it, d@mn lurkers... me btw) is we have been to the nearest planet (Proxima B????) and only found primordial goo.

So 'YAY' on the public announcement and what it will try to achieve. But it is just show and tell then not much more than that, so says my personal beliefs of the "not ready for primetime announcements".

Then that makes me wonder... how much does the president know???

[S+F btw just because this needs to be in the forefront of people's minds as new technology becomes available and we become not just a space faring species but intergalactic!]
edit on 15-10-2016 by TEOTWAWKIAIFF because: editor slow in response to my typing

posted on Oct, 15 2016 @ 12:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: strongfp
Technology builds upon itself. It's not something that goes extinct.

Apollo missions used core rope memory for their guidance computers. I don't see that being built upon and used in the upcoming manned space missions, do you?

You're right, the technology progresses in leaps and bounds over time, but that also means that we won't use everything we used before, and a lot of new stuff has to be invented and tested.

posted on Oct, 15 2016 @ 12:42 AM
link   
"Oh look a new world to conquer and destroy!"

What utter pointlessness amidst the current field of corruption and deceit in every land, perpetuating atrocities against mankind age after age. The stars will not solve our problems for us.

posted on Oct, 15 2016 @ 02:28 AM
link   
a reply to: Aedaeum

It's not the destination that counts it's the journey.

Don't pretend that you've somehow evolved passed all of this.

Nihilism isn't the way forward either.

posted on Oct, 15 2016 @ 05:11 AM
link   

This should have a lot more stars. This is truly exciting stuff. Maybe I'll be alive by the time we get outside of the solar system and have a base on Apollo.

posted on Oct, 15 2016 @ 05:15 AM
link   
Didnt bush say something similar...

I will believe it when I see actual movement towards this starting with a restructure of NASA to get out some of the old bloat and bureaucracy.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join