It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Side-scrolling websites

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2005 @ 10:09 PM
link   
I want to create a link from my website that opens up a pop-up window that horizontally scrolls as opposed to scrolling vertically. Any takers?

posted on Jan, 23 2005 @ 10:38 PM
link   
Sounds do-able, but why? I mean left and right scrolling is counter-intuitive. You need to make an HTML page and set the width really really wide, even beyond what is tolerable.

EDIT: Okay, I had to look up how to do this, because frankly I would never make a page wider than the screen, but if you set up your whole page into a table, you can set the width to any size you want. Here is what you should put into the body of your page. Include everything inbetween the borderless table tags you want, and it will be the width you place into the attribute (width):

<TABLE>
<TR><TD WIDTH=12000>
place your page content here
</TD></TR>
</TABLE>

In this example tag, the page will be 12000 pixels wide, until you make a page break.

[edit on 23-1-2005 by ben91069]

posted on Jan, 23 2005 @ 11:23 PM
link   
Thanks ben for coming through once again. Yes it is somewhat counter-intuitive to have a horizontal scroll. Hopefully when everything is said and done, horizontal side-scrolling will have a positive impact on society and set an example for the youth worldwide.

posted on Jan, 23 2005 @ 11:29 PM
link   
Well I thought about it, and a long text string would be annoying, but if you understand tables and make blocks of text and pictures and just 'lock' the page height to the screen size, it wouldn't be so bad. Good luck and let me see your results. Any more help, let me know - I know enough HTML to be dangerous and make an electric hammer.

posted on Jan, 23 2005 @ 11:32 PM
link   
I think im going with the long constant text underscore '___' and make it the same color as the background. Simple enough. I'm trying to put the finishing touches on my website before the end of the month. So you will be hearing a lot from me. I would post the site adress but it seems a little indecent for some viewers. Just U2U and ill give it to you.

posted on Jan, 24 2005 @ 06:14 PM
link   
I'll help and give you an great example of doing this.

www.mediamonks.com

Have a look. HTML and flash combined. Many other sites also use this side scrolling effect, but this is one of the best examples.

posted on Feb, 24 2006 @ 09:51 PM
link   
You can add a horizontal scrollbar. Try dynanic drive for coding

www.dynamicdrive.com...

Or if you place your content on the page horizontally, a scollbar will automatically be at the bottom or horizontal, but then your page content cannot be any longer than the window or page, or table height, beczuse then the vertical scrollbar will appear

Or you can do a popup page that has no scrollbar whatsoever.

new topics

top topics

join