It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

950 years ago today England and the world changed

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 14 2016 @ 05:39 PM
link   
You would have thought if the normans were really French, The English and the French would have stopped warring with each other, but it was only the beginning.

posted on Oct, 14 2016 @ 05:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Cobaltic1978

originally posted by: corblimeyguvnor

originally posted by: DISRAELI
Here is the judgement of "1066 and all that" (Sellars and Yeatman).

When William the Conqueror landed he lay down on the beach and swallowed two mouthfuls of sand. This was his first conquering action and was in the South; later he ravaged the North as well. The Norman Conquest was a Good Thing, as from this time onwards England stopped being conquered and thus was able to become top nation.

They cite 1066 as one of the only two dates that Englishmen can remember (this probably needs to be updated as "the only one").

Wrong.

06/06/44.

1666 - TGFoL .......... just noticed both end in 66 ....... whats going to happen in 2066? heh

I was born in 1970, so I really couldn't care less what happens.

I just heard a great St Jame's park ROAR!!!! wooooohooooooo .........the correct "couldn't care less" instead of the now used too "could care less" from our American cousins

Could care less, if i am mistaken means, you ACTUALLY could care less, our saying means ........ the bottom of the pile, couldn't care less

Am i mistaken?

Yes, it's the correct way in which to say and write it.

Could care less, does that in fact mean they are non plussed by the whole experience, but it could have been worse.

Thanks, thought my interpretation was correct, from these shores anyway

posted on Oct, 14 2016 @ 05:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: surfer_soul
a reply to: Cobaltic1978

You've seen that sketch about Yorkshire by Hale and Pace right?
Couldn't help but think of that when I read your post, it's kinda true though still lol

I have to say it's not been the same since the Normans invaded, but it was better yet in the Celtic times, ah those were the days...

Those were the days indeed my friend.

Hey up Chucky Chucky.

posted on Oct, 14 2016 @ 05:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: jellyrev
You would have thought if the normans were really French, The English and the French would have stopped warring with each other, but it was only the beginning.

1939, we defended their rights to exist and not be an annex, took until 1945 to remedy, with the belated help of the USA, at a cost

The USA are really English / Irish settlers in the main, or descendants thereof, go figure. Same as Aussies. Wish i had of been brought up in the deportation days or the "new world" days, at least, at the birth we could have had influence unlike now.

posted on Oct, 14 2016 @ 06:13 PM
link   
a reply to: corblimeyguvnor

I believe in the US whites are equally german and english ancestry. The Midwest is New Germany.

posted on Oct, 14 2016 @ 06:16 PM
link   

a reply to: CJCrawley

AND, this was the LAST time these shores were successfully invaded, no one since 1066 has managed it, quite a record, nearly 1000 years without invasion / enemy footfall on these green a pleasant lands.

Ummm...

The 1688 invasion of Britain that's been erased from history

The Protestant King William of Orange triumphed over the Catholic forces of King James II on July 12, 1690

Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk...
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

posted on Oct, 14 2016 @ 06:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: jellyrev

I believe in the US whites are equally german and english ancestry. The Midwest is New Germany.

OK

posted on Oct, 14 2016 @ 06:21 PM
link   

I spent the last 10 years in Oklahoma now I am living in NW Germany and yea... other than language very little seems different to me.

posted on Oct, 14 2016 @ 06:21 PM
link   

AND, this was the LAST time these shores were successfully invaded, no one since 1066 has managed it, quite a record, nearly 1000 years without invasion / enemy footfall on these green a pleasant lands.

Well, there was the very successful Dutch invasion in 1688. But technically speaking, we invited them to invade in order to get rid of our king, who was turning out to be a bit of a rotter. So the invasion was more to scare him off than it was to subdue the nation. I'm not sure it's really an invasion if the nation that's being invaded has consented to it. But at the same time, the King was the head of state and he definitely didn't consent to it.

Also, Scotland invaded England a few decades previously to the above, but they did so to intervene in the Civil War on King Charles I's behalf, and they lost in the end (obviously). So a successful invasion that wasn't intended as conquest. Hmm.

So you could sort of average it out and say that we've been successfully invaded once in the last millennium, consented to an invasion once, and been invaded but not conquered once as well. If you treat the last two as half an invasion each, then we've been invaded twice.

Technically Britain was also invaded again by the French in 1797, but only a tiny part of it, by a few soldiers, and for about five minutes, before they bottled it and (being French) surrendered to a milkmaid armed with a pitchfork. But everyone agrees that this was such an embarrassment to all concerned that it definitely doesn't count.

posted on Oct, 14 2016 @ 06:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: masqua

Ummm...

The 1688 invasion of Britain that's been erased from history

The Protestant King William of Orange triumphed over the Catholic forces of King James II on July 12, 1690

Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk...
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

The bloodless revolution?

posted on Oct, 14 2016 @ 06:27 PM
link   

The bloodless revolution?

Is there a better kind?

posted on Oct, 14 2016 @ 06:31 PM
link   

edit on 2016-10-14T18:33:06-05:002016Fri, 14 Oct 2016 18:33:06 -0500bFriday3310America/Chicago166 by corblimeyguvnor because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2016 @ 06:34 PM
link   
a reply to: audubon

So Rudolph Hess in 1941, on his flight to Scotland, meant we were invaded then by Nazi Germany, yeah ok

posted on Oct, 14 2016 @ 06:39 PM
link   
a reply to: alldaylong

Tired from both the battle against the Vikings and the long march south contributed in the defeat against The Normans.

That's true, and in fact some historians now believe that William knew about the viking incursion and that this was the real reason why he delayed his invasion for so long (the official reason being that he was waiting for the wind direction to change). In other words, he wanted the vikings to beat Harold's army up a bit and weaken them.

Also, it's often been accepted that the Normans and the English were roughly equal in number (around 7,500 each). But no one really knows for sure, contemporary records give wildly different figures.

Personally, I think it's cack. You're going to invade a country with 7,500 men, no more than the country can muster? William had special dispensation from the Pope on the grounds that Harold had broken an oath, and he fought under a papal banner. He would have had mercenaries from all over Europe fighting alongside the Normans. I think he had significantly more men than Harold.

posted on Oct, 14 2016 @ 06:48 PM
link   
a reply to: masqua

Hardly an invasion, he was invited to come by the establishment simply because he was Protestant as opposed to Catholic.

posted on Oct, 14 2016 @ 06:52 PM
link   

Sort of like if David Cameron was invited by Hillary to come over with an army to rid America of the Trump forces.

Right?

posted on Oct, 14 2016 @ 06:52 PM
link   
Not my OP so i m out

Not religious and not getting into that argument, good luck

posted on Oct, 14 2016 @ 07:11 PM
link   

a reply to: audubon
So Rudolph Hess in 1941, on his flight to Scotland, meant we were invaded then by Nazi Germany, yeah ok

Don't be daft, Hess* was on a private peace mission, and his arrival in Scotland was no more of an invasion than the capture of any other downed German pilot.

The one-and-two-halves invasions I've listed were all proper military invasions. The last one was meant to be a proper miltary invasion, but it was rubbish and we've sort of agreed it doesn't count.

On the other hand, the Nazis did manage to invade a few of the British Isles - Guernsey and Jersey were occupied good 'n' proper between 1940 and 1945. But we tend not to talk about that, because it's uncomfortable to mention how pretty much most of the islanders took to their conquerors quite enthusiastically, which spoils the 'British Bulldog' mythos.

I can't find it online, but there's a great picture of Nazi stormtroopers goosestepping triumphantly down a Jersey high street with a branch of Lloyds Bank clearly visible in the background, which is really sobering and eerie.

Edit: Found it

* = Assuming it was actually Hess and not his doppelganger.
edit on 14-10-2016 by audubon because: afterthought

edit on 14-10-2016 by audubon because: found picture

posted on Oct, 14 2016 @ 09:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: masqua

Sort of like if David Cameron was invited by Hillary to come over with an army to rid America of the Trump forces.

Right?
theresa may, do keep up.

posted on Oct, 14 2016 @ 09:19 PM
link   
a reply to: stinkelbaum

Cameron's a 'free agent' now. Teresa's going to be far too busy.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join