It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My dog just bit me, hard.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 14 2016 @ 02:20 PM
link   
Ok.

Only a quick break down.

My dog just bit me.

My foot was near the back of his head when he was laying down and he started growling at the proximity of my foot to his face....

I went to move my foot away and he snapped and latched hold of me.

I now have a hole in my foot between my big toe and second toe.

He is a Pittbull just turned 3 in September and I'm worried that he is turning.

I wouldn't want to have him put down and I won't.
But I wondered if anyone got any advice.

It's the first time he's ever bit anyone/thing.

Was he just startled by my sudden movements or is he turning???

Thanks in advance.

posted on Oct, 14 2016 @ 02:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: Hazardous1408
Ok.

Only a quick break down.

My dog just bit me.

My foot was near the back of his head when he was laying down and he started growling at the proximity of my foot to his face....

I went to move my foot away and he snapped and latched hold of me.

I now have a hole in my foot between my big toe and second toe.

He is a Pittbull just turned 3 in September and I'm worried that he is turning.

I wouldn't want to have him put down and I won't.
But I wondered if anyone got any advice.

It's the first time he's ever bit anyone/thing.

Was he just startled by my sudden movements or is he turning???

Thanks in advance.

And it will not be the last time this dog bites you.

Don't bite the hand that feeds you because if you do; a bullet you will get.

posted on Oct, 14 2016 @ 02:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Hazardous1408

Lots of people will tell you a million different things about your dog, because it's a pit bull. No one will be able to give you real, accurate advice without meeting your dog, and hearing honestly from you how you trained it.

Contact the breeder to get your very best advice.

posted on Oct, 14 2016 @ 02:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Atsbhct

Exactly, well said!

Professionals are the only people who should advise you on what to do next.

posted on Oct, 14 2016 @ 02:26 PM
link   
Maybe your feet smell offensive and threatening? Sorry I kid...

Does he still have his testicles? I recall a Ceaser show where he said sometimes as a male dog gets older, and that particular case was too confined, the dogs become aggressive to people and other animals, and the owners. He suggested having them neutered.

Hope you can work it out whatever it is.

posted on Oct, 14 2016 @ 02:30 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 14 2016 @ 02:33 PM
link   
a reply to: waftist

Lol.

He's due to get them snipped in December.
He isn't an aggressive dog though.

As I say he's never bitten anyone or anything besides his toys.

He was attacked when he was a pup and I joke about him having Nam flashbacks when he sees other dogs now cos he is a little weary.

I'm guessing he was just startled by my movement rather than being aggressive.

Just thought I'd ask ATS as we have a few dog owners here who can go deeper.

Thanks for the advice so far people.

posted on Oct, 14 2016 @ 02:33 PM
link   
My 2 German Shepherds bit me each only once when they were about a year and a half.

They were trying for the Alpha dog spot.

I put the fear of God in them, without doing any physical damage to them, and they NEVER pulled that again.

They need to learn they are not the pack leader.

posted on Oct, 14 2016 @ 02:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: stosh64
My 2 German Shepherds bit me each only once when they were about a year and a half.

They were trying for the Alpha dog spot.

I put the fear of God in them, without doing any physical damage to them, and they NEVER pulled that again.

They need to learn they are not the pack leader.

Oh he definitely knows who is in charge...

Straight away he pulled the sad look and started trying to cuddle up to me.

posted on Oct, 14 2016 @ 02:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: YouSir

Ummm...he's probably voting for Trump...

YouSir

At least the dog has some balls left.

posted on Oct, 14 2016 @ 02:38 PM
link   
a reply to: stosh64
I hear ya and it reminds me of my friend, a real farmer country boy and when his dog got aggressive with him, he laid it on it's side and stayed on top of it til it urinated, which he said was a gesture of submissiveness. He said it worked without hurting the dog, just reestablishing pack order.
Sounds kinda crazy and I've never heard of that.

posted on Oct, 14 2016 @ 02:45 PM
link   
a reply to: waftist

This is a very common training technique with agressive breeds. It's what they'd do to each other.

posted on Oct, 14 2016 @ 02:47 PM
link   
Just spitballing, but has he been digging at his ears, or seem to have any other... sores or aches around his head area?

posted on Oct, 14 2016 @ 02:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: DeathSlayer
Don't bite the hand that feeds you because if you do; a bullet you will get.

Yep. That would have been the last thing it ever bit. I love dogs ... but, they're still animals.

posted on Oct, 14 2016 @ 02:53 PM
link   
a reply to: chiefsmom

Yes his ears play up on him he gets allergic reactions and they need regular attention.

posted on Oct, 14 2016 @ 02:59 PM
link   
After ruling out health issues that can and will cause dogs to snap, such as extreme pain, or even excess itching, as well as having his vision checked out, I would get back to the basics on training and socializing.

The dog has to know he is in YOUR space, not his, they will push for ownership of it. I suggest making an area quarantined off from the living area that is his. He can then be permitted entrance to YOUR area with good behavior.

They need to have a "time out" spot, like wild dogs and dens. A crate works good. The crate or den shape chills them out, because they don't feel like they need eyes on the back of their heads.

Also, never jack with a dog if it's sleeping, wake it up with noise, not touch, he could be fighting a bear in his dreams, going in for the kill.

They need consistency until they learn it's easier to be good, there is no shortcut here. My Rott took an almost consistent 5 days a week at 1-2 hour sessions of 50/50 obedience training/socialization for 2 years straight.

It is the work it takes to own a powerful dog, and not have them be a liability that could kill a kid and or take everything away from you in a lawsuit.

Good luck, I would do a vet check for health issues, otherwise train, train, train.

posted on Oct, 14 2016 @ 02:59 PM
link   
My pit is 7 yrs old. She'll gladly take a nibble at a dog that barks or her or threatens me.. but aside from play she has never come close to clamping down on human skin.

When she was a pup I would often wrestle her to the ground and pin her, just to show her who's boss. Also I would stick my hand in her food bowl and take it from her. I would only suggest that with a a dog you trust completely but it did teach her that I'm allowed to do anything I see fit and she will have to deal.

Having a pit is a huge responsibility, honestly I don't recommend it. That whole power responsibilities Spider-Man thing comes to mind.. but I love my dog and would not trade her for the world. And if she did bite me I would have some serious soul searching to go..

Good luck . I think your doggo will be fine. I don't really believe in a dog "turning".. they either are aggressive or not. Imho... just train it like both your lives depend on it, because they do.
edit on 14-10-2016 by SteamyJeans because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2016 @ 03:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: waftist
a reply to: stosh64
I hear ya and it reminds me of my friend, a real farmer country boy and when his dog got aggressive with him, he laid it on it's side and stayed on top of it til it urinated, which he said was a gesture of submissiveness. He said it worked without hurting the dog, just reestablishing pack order.
Sounds kinda crazy and I've never heard of that.

Good way to have the dog not trust humans and turn it into a schizo.

I would leave the dog abuse suggestion behind.

And suggest his animals be removed.

posted on Oct, 14 2016 @ 03:08 PM
link   
Have you considered training? Our older dog was somewhat testy when we got her and now she is still a sweetheart and this is many years after going through obedience training.

posted on Oct, 14 2016 @ 03:11 PM
link   
Bite him back.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join