It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Executive Order -- Coordinating Efforts to Prepare the Nation for Space Weather Events

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 15 2016 @ 01:21 PM
link   
a reply to: audubon

Solar storm activity is not very similar to an EMP, contrary to popular misconception.

Geomagnetic storming (caused by a CME) poses a threat to the power grid because of the very low frequency currents which are induced in power lines. These, essentially DC, currents are very problematic for transformers in the system.

Putting electrical equipment underground would accomplish nothing.

posted on Oct, 15 2016 @ 01:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
Solar storm activity is not very similar to an EMP, contrary to popular misconception.

You'd better write and tell Obama that, as the US government seems to think that there is in fact such as thing as an EMP from a solar storm. If you go to web.archive.org and look for the following page, you can read all about it. www.empactamerica.org... (web archive links break on ATS, hence the fiddling about)

And the point about the left-over Cold War shelters is that they also have back-up generators (handy if the grid goes down) as well as stocks of food, medicine, etc, etc. Things that will become scarce luxuries/necessities worth fighting and maybe killing for in pretty short order if the grid goes down for everyone not safely holed up underground.

To be honest, I'm getting the impression that you're being deliberately ornery for your own amusement.

posted on Oct, 15 2016 @ 02:01 PM
link   

You'd better write and tell Obama that, as the US government seems to think that there is in fact such as thing as an EMP from a solar storm.

Are you talking about this?

EMPs are bursts of energy that can be caused by a nuclear detonation or a major solar storm.
empactamerica.org...
It's false, solar storms do not produce a burst of energy which can effect anything on the Earth's surface. A CME can produce a geomagnetic storm. A geomagnetic storm is not a burst of energy.

To be honest, I'm getting the impression that you're being deliberately ornery for your own amusement.
No. I'm being factual because that's what I like to do.

A major geomagnetic storm would be very problematic (so having an EO to help coordinate efforts at mitigation in the US is a very good thing). It would not, however, be likely to bring about a Mad Max world.

edit on 10/15/2016 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 15 2016 @ 02:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

It's false, solar storms do not produce EMPs.

Who to believe, eh?

As it happens, I think your error is that you are using 'EMP' as shorthand for 'nuclear EMP'.

Nuclear EMPs are certainly a specific and distinct type of EMP. But not all EMPs are nuclear weapons-generated.

posted on Oct, 15 2016 @ 02:17 PM
link   

As it happens, I think your error is that you are using 'EMP' as shorthand for 'nuclear EMP'.

You are incorrect.

I am using "EMP" as shorthand for Electromagnetic Pulse. A CME is not an EMP, nor is a geomagnetic storm.

posted on Oct, 15 2016 @ 02:28 PM
link   

Well, I've provided my source, and you have provided your personal opinion on the matter.

Readers can judge for themselves here. My nails need cutting. Toodles.

edit on 15-10-2016 by audubon because: clarification

posted on Oct, 15 2016 @ 02:35 PM
link   

Well, I've provided my source
Well, sort of.

Geomagnetic disturbances or solar storms are initiated by events on the surface of the sun where ejected masses of electrically charged particles of varying levels are hurled toward the Earth, creating the potential for Earth-based disturbances due to their interaction with the
Earth’s magnetic field. When the particles interact with the Earth’s magnetic field, especially in certain geographic regions, they can cause ground-induced currents (GIC) and other potentially disruptive phenomena.

An EMP is a blast of electromagnetic energy that can disrupt, if not destroy electronic devices within an affected area.

www.publicpower.org...

“An EMP is a sudden, high-intensity event, whereas a solar storm is a longer-duration, lower-intensity event. Because of these different electrical characteristics, solar storms will typically only generate currents in very long (300 km+) conductors.

www.datacenterjournal.com...
edit on 10/15/2016 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 15 2016 @ 02:45 PM
link   
Well, here's some homework I suppose....

&

I cant imagine this generation of teenagers surviving a complete black out.
They cant seem to exist without their technology.

Trying to imagine them coexisting and surviving with others, as well as trying to communicate, is a scary prospect.

posted on Oct, 15 2016 @ 03:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Krystian

Wow, I am genuinely impressed by this one. It defies imagination that we can't get this together without an EO... since we can't seem to set aside the partisan b.s. for long enough to take care of business, at least we now have a directive.

posted on Oct, 26 2016 @ 06:28 PM
link   
a reply to: BlubberyConspiracy could be done by tptb to stop the ultimate secret 🔐 getting made public. Or everything you said...

posted on Oct, 26 2016 @ 06:28 PM
link   
a reply to: BlubberyConspiracy

No, you're not wrong. I wish you were, but I don't think so.

posted on Oct, 26 2016 @ 06:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Phagewell the WH are taking it serious. www.whitehouse.gov...

posted on Oct, 26 2016 @ 06:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Krystian

Had a dream back in 2011 about this. The dream was followed by a set of bizarre coincidences.

It was suspected that a nuclear device was in a port city on the ocean. It ended up being an emp and it successfully detonated.

It was suspected that the device was on a decomissioned ship or sub nearby.

posted on Oct, 26 2016 @ 08:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: TEOTWAWKIAIFF

On September 1–2, 1859, one of the largest recorded geomagnetic storms (as recorded by ground-based magnetometers) occurred. Auroras were seen around the world, those in the northern hemisphere as far south as the Caribbean; those over the Rocky Mountains in the U.S. were so bright that their glow awoke gold miners, who began preparing breakfast because they thought it was morning. People in the northeastern United States could read a newspaper by the aurora's light. The aurora was visible as far from the poles as Sub-Saharan Africa (Senegal, Mauritania, perhaps Monrovia, Liberia), Monterrey and Tampico in Mexico, Queensland, Cuba, Hawaii, and even at lower latitudes very close to the equator, such as in Colombia

Wikipedia: Solar storm of 1859.

Also called the Carrington Event, an X class solar flare hit the earth. There was so much energy it travelled through telegraph wires causing several station to catch fire. That is what the EO is about. Not an EMP. In the link they estimate it would cause "0.6 - 2.6 trillion dollars" in damages if it hit today (same source).

I think it is pretty wise to create power transformers at today's prices because it is not a question of "if" another Carrington Event will hit but "when". All the satellites would be toast which is probably a cool trillion right there.

Is there any sort of time horizon on such an event?

posted on Oct, 26 2016 @ 09:26 PM
link   
a reply to: TheWorldIsYours

There is evidence that such an event may occur once in several hundred years.

posted on Oct, 26 2016 @ 11:32 PM
link   
Thank you.

posted on Oct, 27 2016 @ 02:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust
Probably putting us on notice that global warming is accelerated and will strike at any moment.

Thankfully the world is cooling...
From what I have read of various weather/news/opinion blogs.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join