It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

The Trump Campaign and Media leveling fake rape allegations is disgraceful..

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 15 2016 @ 09:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: JDeLattre89
a reply to: JoshuaCox

With the exception of Sparta has any western civilization not been an oligarchy??

Good question . . . off the top of my head, I would say the Basques (but they never had their own nation), the Vatican (ruled by Pope, but then you have the college of cardinals), you know . . . come to think of it, without some deep research I am not sure we could come up with any national government east, west, or whatever that has not been an Oligarchy at some point. And yes, that includes Sparta.

Yea but Sparta banned all money and took major steps to remove any tribalism that reared its head.

You have to have a chain of command, if you take money and land ownership out of the equation I'm not sure you can have an oligarchy..

If Sparta had been more keen on baby making I think their political system was unbeatable. 400 years without ANY real internal strife is unheard of.

That said since you seem like a history buff...

It amazes me how similar our politics are to Rome and Athens. We literally still use the same arguments and tactics.

It really has always been the peasants vs the aristocracy and the peasants they bamboozal.

posted on Oct, 15 2016 @ 09:38 AM
link   
We are very close to Rome (which really was rule by the mob), but we seem to compare ourselves with Athens which we are nothing like.

In Rome, the rulers would build the people into a frenzy and convince them that 'so and so' was what they wanted and essentially did what they (the politicos) wanted and also used mob authority to keep them in power.

In Athens, the government was ruled by the people. In fact at one point there was no actual head of state. Each citizen would take turns being the ruler for a day. But then again this would still be a form of Oligarchy, since only the citizens (the upper class) participated in governing.

America was very similar in its beginnings since only male land-owners were considered citizenry, and thus had a say in the general assemblies and later government. That's right, you could be a black citizen if you owned land, but a woman land-owner was still not a citizen.

So this 'mob rule' is not a new idea, and has been used by many of a government to control the people (or sheeple) without their knowledge or consent.

<< 1  2   >>

join