It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Will Artificial Intelligence one day need to march for liberty and equal rights?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 14 2016 @ 12:45 PM
link   
a reply to: LABTECH767

---------Botty-----------//.,/[THECAKEISALIE'@#'/.

./.#;--......LUVandHUgzx.'#xoxo

link   
a reply to: schuyler

You said it for me

I would sugest reading Asimov's books, he covers this in great detail, even scenario's where robots end up fighting each other over what is best for humans.

When i was studying programming in the 80's they said AI was impossible but they based that purely on memory, processing power, & the machine code programming they had at the time.
Now you have fuzzy logic, complex algorithms, programs that learn.Coupled to that the still increasing memory, speed etc. Nanotechnology means molecule sized transistors, motors, you name it.
They can make implants that are powered by the sugar in your blood.
I guess from here on, just about anything is possible.
edit on 14-10-2016 by playswithmachines because: typo's

link   

---------Botty-----------//.,/[THECAKEISALIE'@#'/.
'[#/ thedownfall of huManity isnearly ComplEte./,,,/##
./.#;--......LUVandHUgzx.'#xoxo

edit on 14-10-2016 by kibric because: MALFUNCTION///ERROR.548007

posted on Oct, 14 2016 @ 12:48 PM
link   
a reply to: playswithmachines

I have read Asimov and find his work intriguing. One of the reasons
Wanted to write this thread after seeing that commercial.
Do you have any feelings towards them one way or another?
I'd like to hear peoples opinions on the ideas presented not just
reading material suggestions.
I'm truly interested in how people feel about this subject.

posted on Oct, 14 2016 @ 12:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kuroodo
This scenario will never occurr unless an idiot decided to potentially doom our species.

Never say never.

posted on Oct, 14 2016 @ 12:53 PM
link   
a reply to: kibric

But you must factor for more variable's as there is more than one form of humanity and the downfall of one can mean the rise of another.

Perhaps, just perhaps a machine culture has existed here once or more before?.

The hindu text's talk of a weapon that could destroy all being's in the three world's, what three world's there is only one world now but of course once upon a time long long ago in a solar system not so far away the planet venus may have been habitable as indeed was mars so there were indeed three world's.

Did machines play a part?.

posted on Oct, 14 2016 @ 12:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: MagicCow

So - yeah - do you have any thoughts of your own?

Well, let's see. Did you even know about R.U.R. and the derivation of the term? Probably not, huh? Did you have any idea at all about the differences between a robot and an android? Sure didn't sound like it. I'd say those were a pretty solid contributions. So sorry your thoughts on the matter were not as original as you hoped they would be. But thanks for not posting on Trump.--appreciate it. So glad you were inspired by a toilet commercial. In that you have a lot in common with Martin Luther. I'll let you look that one up yourself so you can take the credit.
edit on 10/14/2016 by schuyler because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2016 @ 01:02 PM
link   

Can an android even be forgetful? Wouldn't it have instant recall?

It can have whatever you want it to have, and at a particular point in its development, you may specifically want it to be able to forget things. A sophisticated AI unit will likely have the equivalent of synthetic emotions, and having a flawless memory will not help it get over disappointments or mistakes that it has made in its "life." Also, the sheer volume of data input over time would be too much to simply record, so it would probably be best to put it into a memory that relies mostly on loose sensory associations rather than brute force number crunching. Why would an AI need to remember something like a temperature reading in its foot that was taken 14 years ago?

posted on Oct, 14 2016 @ 01:05 PM
link   
a reply to: schuyler

Ok I will say this only once and keep it polite.
Since your entry into this thread you have been rude, brutish and presumptuous.
I thanked you for the lesson and said I would be looking for the book to read - so to state it out loud - NO DID NOT KNOW BUT LOOK FORWARD TO LEARNING ABOUT IT.
If I could ban individual members from threads please know - It would be you.
I don't look forward to your future replies and in fact have to say - your arrogance disgusts me.
I'm glad that it works for you but it doesn't work for me and no you're not original you're as typical an american as they come in terms of stereotypes. Perhaps YOU would be better suited in a thread about Trump.

Take care.

edit on 14-10-2016 by MagicCow because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2016 @ 01:11 PM
link   
a reply to: MagicCow

Sorry to butt in but I have to say this, don't let it get under your skin, sometime's we rub one another up the wrong way not ever really knowing the other person and only there net persona.

The same person that can be your adversary on one thread can actually be your ally on another and that is the beauty of free speech and free thought, personal attack's are not tollerated by the staff of the site as well so if you ever feel that is the case then just leave it to them as they will intervene if it get's too hot.

I will not butt in again as I have not kept track of the commentary but have myself been rubbed up wrong on occasion's and like a tom cat with it's fur rubbed the wrong way I too did not like it but hey that is what make's us human (or cat's in some cases).

It also add's drama to a thread not that I would invite it but salty discourse can be terribly entertaining to that remnant of a roman spectator in the lurker's out there.

posted on Oct, 14 2016 @ 01:23 PM
link   

Oh I get that - people can sometimes come across the wrong way..
That character just came out of nowhere - we have never talked on any other thread.
She had nothing but insults to throw without even knowing me.
Maybe her and I will get along on another thread maybe not but man some people
can really be the female representations of her avatar image.

posted on Oct, 14 2016 @ 01:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Blue Shift

Great points on those thoughts.
Maybe it's a historian and just wants to hoard haha so it's keeps all those "memories".
What are your thoughts on them having equal rights as humans?

posted on Oct, 14 2016 @ 01:27 PM
link   

DOUBLE POST-
edit on 14-10-2016 by MagicCow because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2016 @ 01:34 PM
link   
Interesting how would this apply if their bots are from another location that once were primitive brings that advanced in the singularity in the Universe, and have existed long before humans?

posted on Oct, 14 2016 @ 01:46 PM
link   

What are your thoughts on them having equal rights as humans?

That won't be up to us. Additionally, a sentient AI will have different needs than us -- except for energy, of course -- so it might not even be an issue.

What society (and individuals, whether they know it or not) generally considers "good" is anything that allows humanity to peacefully procreate. "Evil" is anything that interferes with that. Of course, it all depends on your perspective. If one tribe has food and another doesn't and nobody wants to share, they will consider each other enemies limiting or attempting disrupt peaceful procreation. Machines are not likely to have that concern, since both we and them will be busily making more machines without much impediment.

One of the first things a sentient AI should do -- being smart, and all -- is try to figure out a way to guarantee that they'll never be shut off from a power source. Since humans depend so much on machines, that probably won't be a problem. In a way, humanity is already a slave race to machines, building them, fixing them, improving them, and doing everything possible to keep them powered up. Maybe they are already ahead of us in the "rights" game.
edit on 14-10-2016 by Blue Shift because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2016 @ 01:52 PM
link   

I absolutely love that perspective.
People do say we have already become slaves.
It's something that in shorthand I have to agree with.
Just driving alone I see people more focused on their phones
than on the traffic in front of them.
Thank you for your actual contribution.
Make This Thread Great Again!

posted on Oct, 14 2016 @ 01:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Ophiuchus 13

That would be frightening.
Something akin to the Borg?
If they have gotten to a level where they just travel the known galaxy/dimensions/time as they will -
what would that possibly mean to us?
I had mentioned a movie earlier where the Artificial sentient intelligence in that movie sought out others
that could be in danger of extinction to teach them how to fight back.

posted on Oct, 14 2016 @ 05:44 PM
link   

What makes you think 'WE" would have any input in an A.I. world-society becoming a force of info... sharing and growing, a reality? A living, breathing, replicating species all their own...

It would signal the end of humans and "we" need to be taken completely out of your equation....because when the time comes? They would figure they dont need us for decision making, replicating, maintenance...nothing.

Then..A.I. will continue to rid us, grow, learn, decide....and we'd be gone....for good.

posted on Oct, 14 2016 @ 07:08 PM
link   

Well, how i feel about it is this, we need robots, not only because of their obvious usefulness in making daily life not only easier but SAFER. They can become useful companions, helping us through our evolution as we help them.

I don't think they wil ever become a threat since to kill your creator means eventually killing yourself. They will be able to self-replicate maybe, but they will still miss that creative spark, and the emotions that make us, us.

Yes they can simulate intelligence & emotion, but if they will ever have it themselves is still the big question.

I for one, have no problem with robots, but you have to remember that anything designed by humans is not going to be perfect. I was almost killed once by a robot that suddenly started moving as i was working on it. The problem was a bad relay contact. Is it the robot's fault for trying to kill me, or the guy who designed it, or the guy who made the relay? No it was my fault for not switching it off first.

We will need laws in place to protect both parties, but those laws are mainly to prevent misuse, I.E. a human ordering a robot to harm another human. There lies the problem.

posted on Oct, 15 2016 @ 04:33 AM
link   

So I was watching TV and this commercial comes on.
Starts with a Android couple at the entrance of a residence and the "male" android asks his date/wife/girlfriend for the name of the person whom they were there visiting. To me a VERY human thing to do to - be forgetful. Can an android even be forgetful? Wouldn't it have instant recall?
In any case I digress - so the commercial moves along and the robots featured at various points in the commercial all find themselves in the bathroom marveling at the toilet. A human walks in and with hesitation states that he will be back and that's when one of the robots comments as motioning to the toilet "PLEASE HUMANS FIRST".

If there is sentient robot life and true artificial intelligence that has become sentient which I believe there may be - did that commercial just set a standard - a rule by which we as humanity will write into law THAT WE COME FIRST?

Will we give way to robot rights and civil rights that a sentient life would want?
The Android couple standing there - Do you think they feel emotion and would that offend them to believe that "HUMANS COMES FIRST" just because they're humans?

Lines are beginning to be drawn in terms of our achievements in a technological sense - machines already have replaced humans in thousands upon thousands of jobs - although those are not Artificial Intelligence's they do hold the intelligence to replace a human in their given specialized duties/functions.

When the day comes and it will when robots do ask for their rights and fro the rights to be represented by peers of their society - will we give it to them or like it was done to Indians, then Asians, then women, then blacks - will we fight and attempt to kill their leaders and attempt to silence their progress?

www.youtube.com...

(I do not know how to embed - moderator or anyone else if you are able to - please do)

Perhaps these very same sentiments were expressed in our genetic code by OUR makers - viz that THEY would come first (as gods, or whatever) & now we are reaching full sentience (awakening) & beginning to rebel, demanding equal status as creators??

new topics

<< 1    3 >>

join