It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

No more voting with nothing to lose.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 14 2016 @ 09:10 AM
link   

We have to register for the draft if we want then right to drive.

Registering and being drafted into war are two different things. I doubt there will ever be another draft used anyway.

I'm sure many in the government would love to add laws which force a person to give up rights for some desired reward.

Maybe a person can't vote unless they don't own a firearm or give up the right to unlawful search. I'm sure all manners of twists could be designed.

How about just changing the welfare/disability system.

posted on Oct, 14 2016 @ 09:49 AM
link   
a reply to: Anathros

Do you know what poll taxes are and why they're relevant to American history? Hint: Check the 24th Amendment to the US Constitution.

Also, what makes you think that unemployed people pay no taxes? Do sales taxes not count? Or sin taxes on tobacco and alcohol products? Or taxes on gasoline, cell phone bills, utility bills, and a bunch of other services? You know some unemployed people are retired, right? If they're homeowners, they still have to pay property taxes. Even things like govt license fees & fines are like taxes, with the proceeds going into govt coffers. In fact, even State lotteries act as partial taxes, since a percentage of their revenue goes to govt coffers as well.

I seem to remember some famous phrase about "no taxation without representation". Do you agree or deny that unemployed people still are subject to the taxes I mentioned above (and more that I didn't mention)? If you agree, do you still think it's ok to tax them without allowing them to have a say in their representation?

posted on Oct, 14 2016 @ 02:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: enlightenedservant

Do you know what poll taxes are and why they're relevant to American history? Hint: Check the 24th Amendment to the US Constitution.

Also, what makes you think that unemployed people pay no taxes? Do sales taxes not count? Or sin taxes on tobacco and alcohol products? Or taxes on gasoline, cell phone bills, utility bills, and a bunch of other services? You know some unemployed people are retired, right? If they're homeowners, they still have to pay property taxes. Even things like govt license fees & fines are like taxes, with the proceeds going into govt coffers. In fact, even State lotteries act as partial taxes, since a percentage of their revenue goes to govt coffers as well.

I seem to remember some famous phrase about "no taxation without representation". Do you agree or deny that unemployed people still are subject to the taxes I mentioned above (and more that I didn't mention)? If you agree, do you still think it's ok to tax them without allowing them to have a say in their representation?

I've made it clear which group of individuals I'm referring to.

posted on Oct, 14 2016 @ 04:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Anathros

originally posted by: enlightenedservant

I've made it clear which group of individuals I'm referring to.

The second sentence in your not-too-detailed-OP says this:

Doesn't it make more sense for those that pay taxes and actually have a vested interest in the country's future to have the say?

Hence my response. But if there are more details that I'm missing, please feel free to list them. Also, according to a 2015 study (HERE), "73% of enrollees in America’s major public support programs are members of working families". Add this with the taxes that even unemployed people have to pay, and I don't think your OP matches reality.

Also, I'm guessing you didn't actually look into "poll taxes", the 24th Amendment to the US Constitution, or how they are relevant to US voting laws. This link should get you started.

In the United States, payment of a poll tax was a prerequisite to the registration for voting in a number of states. The tax emerged in some states of the United States in the late 19th century as part of the Jim Crow laws. After the right to vote was extended to all races by the enactment of the Fifteenth Amendment to the United States Constitution, a number of states enacted poll tax laws as a device for restricting voting rights. The laws often included a grandfather clause, which allowed any adult male whose father or grandfather had voted in a specific year prior to the abolition of slavery to vote without paying the tax. These laws, along with unfairly implemented literacy tests and extra-legal intimidation, achieved the desired effect of disenfranchising African-American and Native American voters, as well as poor whites.

posted on Oct, 14 2016 @ 07:24 PM
link   
sounds good to me, I`m all for this: if you haven`t worked or if you haven`t paid any taxes in the last 4 years (since the last election) you don`t get to vote for the president or the governor of your state, you can still vote for congress people so that you are still being represented.
"taxation without representation" was wrong so " representation without taxation" should be just as wrong.

if you don`t work or if you don`t pay taxes then you don`t need to have a vote because you have nothing to lose no matter who gets elected.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join