It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SCI/TECH: Global warming reaching point-of-no-return

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2005 @ 08:01 PM
link   
A new report published in the British press warn of reaching the point of no return for global warming. The end result of this will be global famine and drought. The potential time frame may be less than ten years off.

story.news.yahoo.com
LONDON (AFP) - Global warming is reaching the point-of-no-return, with widespread drought, crop failure and water shortages the likely result, according to a new international report highlighted in the British press.

The countdown to climate-change catastrophe is spelt out by a task force of senior politicians, business leaders and academics. In 10 years or less, they predict, the catastrophic point-of-no-return may be reached, The Independent daily reported.

The new study, "Meeting The Climate Challenge", has been timed to coincide with British Prime Minister Tony Blair's promised efforts to advance climate change policy this year as head of both the G8 group of richest nations and the European Union.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

We get alot of conflicting warnings about the threat posed by global warnings. Distinguished scientists on both sides of the coin present good cases but who do you believe? We may very well reach the point of no return in regards to global population and pollution alike and may see a great die off to get the population down to a much more sustainable level.

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
www.atsnn.com...

posted on Jan, 23 2005 @ 08:15 PM
link   
After many years of research specifically in this area, we went past the point of no return some years back. However, the proper name is Global Climate Change. Higher (high temps), lower (low temps). Man has some responsibility here however, the majority of the problem is external to earth. Solar activity is the main contributor. Fossil fuel "burning" isn't the problem. However, one thing is manmade. Every kW of electricity made ends up as "heat" in our atmosphere. That alone is redistributing heat around the globe. That added to increased solar activity, can and will "slingshot" global climate change. Add the activities of several scalar installations worldwide and the weather will become more extreme.

posted on Jan, 23 2005 @ 08:43 PM
link   
On the man-made side, it is increasingly apparent that the Kyoto Accords are amounting to mere semantics and rubbish. The US got hammered, literally and figuratively on this issue of them not ratifying it, but the irony is that it also seems apparent that those nations that did ratify it, are having trouble meeting and thus complying with said Kyoto Accords.
Example of one of many nations in the same situation as the below article indicates:

Prime Minister Paul Martin said Wednesday that Canada is just one of many countries that will not hit its Kyoto targets, arguing that there are provisions in the agreement that allow for compliance over a longer period.

Kyoto targets may be met later, Martin says

Russian "pollution" vouchers ought to do the trick, but the overall point is made.

seekerof

[edit on 23-1-2005 by Seekerof]

posted on Jan, 23 2005 @ 09:03 PM
link   
healthandenergy.com...

Methane is the likely culprit in my opinion, and the effects far outstrip man's puny pollution. There is nowhere near a consensus on this topic though, many scientists refute the possibility in the strongest terms. It could very well be the sheep!

www.newscientist.com...

news.bbc.co.uk...

(above) It appears that doom may not go hand in hand with warming, as there seems to be a balance set in place, to regulate the state of the methane and either warm or cool the earth depending on current temperatures. It's still possible that we have upset the balance, and that seems quite possible given the delicate nature of the instrument in question, as evidenced by the effects a loss of biodiversity has on an ecosystem.

www.mhhe.com...

If the environment can have effects on the animals, the animals surely influence the environment. Global warming is a two pronged problem then, because if it knocks either leg of our wobbly two legged table, a crash is all but inevitable.

posted on Jan, 23 2005 @ 09:08 PM
link   
This thread may be helpful:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 23-1-2005 by poonchang]

posted on Jan, 23 2005 @ 09:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by poonchang
There's already a thread like this:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Thanks for poimting that out however, this is a differnet source, and we can have parallel ATS and ATSNN threads.

[edit on 1/23/05 by FredT]

posted on Jan, 24 2005 @ 05:03 AM
link   
There has been lots of analysis of earths past climate and one in particular was the relationship between CO2 levels and global temperatures as determined from Antarctic ice core samples. What they found was that todays CO2 levels (man made) should have resulted in much higher temperatures according to past correlations. I remember distinctly how this gave the anti-man-made-global-warming-brigade (ammgwb) lots of ammunition. See its not us its "natural" we can carry on burning as we have done before. However, the alternate analysis of solar radiation levels has shown that we have had a Global Dimming effect which has in fact masked the effect of the CO2 global warming effect. So it looks like those ice core samples do apply to todays situation its just that way back then human beings weren't around to create dirty pollution to offset the real temperature increase. Dirty pollution is now diminishing and thus the true global temperature rise due to man made CO2 levels are now taking effect.

There are 4 scenarios:

1. man-made global warming but we do nothing.
2. man-made global warming but we do something.
3. Non man-made warming and we do nothing.
4. non man-made warming and we do something.

Results :

1. ........ (insert appropriate colloquism but the anglo saxon one beginning with f is appropriate)
2. We avert a self made disaster.
3. ........ (repeat as 1)
4. We simply end up with a cleaner less inefficent world with better use of finite resources. Also note that "green" industries have been shown to generate more income than non-green industries precisely because they are more efficient!

So the ammgwb will have us ending up with result 1 or 3 and if wrong are preventing us from implementing result 2.

Where does this "natural" warming due to the sun theory come from ? Ah yes the analysis of sunspot cycles. Yes indeed there was a direct correlation between increased solar activity and increased global temperatures re:Christensen & Lassen charts up to the mid 80's. However, since about 1997 the sunspot cycle has been on a downward trend. So if the theory is correct the last 7 years should have seen a reduction in temperature and a reduction in extreme weather incidents......oops that's that theory in the bin then ! Not that I expect that little fact to deter the ammgwb (sunspots are now on the increase so I'm sure the last 7 years will be conveniently ignored !).

To summarise:

1 sunspost activity decreased between 1997 and 2004 and yet temperatures increased.
2 Ice core samples show that we should be in a cooling cycle but we are in fact warming.
3 Ice core co2-temperature correlations show 80ppm more co2 today than the temperature would imply.
4 Dirty pollutants have contributed to 20% decrease in solar energy at the earths surface hence artificial cooling.
5 CURRENT CO2 levels, unmasked by dirty pollution, would result in about 5 degree C higher temperature.
6 We are still increasing the amount of CO2!

The evidence for man-made global warming is increasing all the time. However, so is the evidence that we are approaching a point of no return. The point of no return being an unstoppable melting of Greenlands glaciers which will cause sea levels to rise by 7 to 8 metres in as little at 10 years but definitely within 100 years. Five degree temperature rise will also change climates such that Europe ends up like Africa and Africa, Southern/MId USA become unihabitable! And God knows what all that fresh water in the north Atlantic will do.

posted on Jan, 24 2005 @ 09:45 AM
link   
the facts of the planet going to 4 to 10 degrees up in temperature is enough to kill alot of things living on this planet.to me when very smart people tell us they have 30 years of data and they give a grim look that we have already dug too deep of a hole.i say it too late.we have already hit the ponit of no return.the weather will speak the words.food prices will go so high you will wonder if eating is worth it.when the un says no to disaster protection in the furture i get really worried.why are governments not stocking up funds for a rainy day.maybe the day will come where money will only be good for burning for heat.food and water will be the currency.i half to wonder why we dont stop clear cutting of trees and start large tree farms and crops of food on a global scale.why governments are still fighting over control of land and power when our power is being taken from our feet.the start of bio domes on a global scale.we need new enivorments to live.all this could be done now but who wants to be aware of this and give it a try.all this stuff has been pondered over before.but really does anyone care about there well being.when is it to late?humans will sit still and do nothing.all the knowledge we have fought about and we can do is just let it happen.must be something we can do.the poor people of the world have alrealy hit the wall.the rest of you will find something plastic to hide under it.flukemol............

posted on Jan, 25 2005 @ 07:22 PM
link   
Global warming is a fact of life. And it is just a matter of time when the world will get rid of the parasites. e.g., pole shift, etc. I feel one of the problems is greed which will never be eradicated. I read that one acre of hemp produces the same amount of pulp for making paper as four acres of trees. Our government says that growing hemp is not allowed. Hemp can also be turned into fuel and thousands of other products. I would rather see acres of hemp and trees growing than all the pollution we create using other resources.

posted on Jan, 25 2005 @ 07:22 PM
link   
Global warming is a fact of life. And it is just a matter of time when the world will get rid of the parasites. e.g., pole shift, etc. I feel one of the problems is greed which will never be eradicated. I read that one acre of hemp produces the same amount of pulp for making paper as four acres of trees. Our government says that growing hemp is not allowed. Hemp can also be turned into fuel and thousands of other products. I would rather see acres of hemp and trees growing than all the pollution we create using other resources.

new topics

top topics

join