It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Oddly Coincidental Text on 'Obamaphone'

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 13 2016 @ 10:05 AM
link   
There was something wrong with my main cell phone this past week (which was fixed), so I have been leaving the number of my 'Obamaphone' in my search for an apartment.

This phone never gets texts or calls, other than the occasional notification of 'minutes on sale' or 'please make sure your phone is on at the end of the month to receive minutes'.

I got a call back from the owner of an apartment building at 9:45. We had a lengthy conversation that included the state of my employment and brief mention of a Trust left me, and made an appointment to meet.

Just a minute ago, this little phone beeped with the text tone. The text says " SafeLink Msg: Have legal questions? Need help with services, housing or finding a job?" It gives a number to call. 1-302-241-0707. I have not called it.

Spooky...... It could be coincidental, this phone is for people who may be seeking that information. But the timing was very strange.

posted on Oct, 13 2016 @ 10:16 AM
link   
Very odd timing, agreed.

In fact, I would say to odd to be coincidental. Hmm.

What's your personal take on this?

posted on Oct, 13 2016 @ 10:19 AM
link   
a reply to: Maverick1

Could be an actual person listening in or something automated that catches keywords?

posted on Oct, 13 2016 @ 10:20 AM
link   
a reply to: reldra

Advertisers are starting to use tactics across related media. Probably, the other person's phone was "tapped" to collect your call data and then directly responded to your number. Or it could be that those phones are ripe for exploitation.

posted on Oct, 13 2016 @ 10:20 AM
link   

I got a call back from the owner of an apartment building at 9:45. We had a lengthy conversation that included the state of my employment and brief mention of a Trust left me, and made an appointment to meet.

Thats a scam.

Edit: To clarify, who mentioned you having a trust?

Just a minute ago, this little phone beeped with the text tone. The text says " SafeLink Msg: Have legal questions? Need help with services, housing or finding a job?" It gives a number to call. 1-302-241-0707. I have not called it.

You said you were leaving the number to call, "searching for an apartment"?

What am I missing?

edit on 13-10-2016 by intrptr because: edit:

posted on Oct, 13 2016 @ 10:21 AM
link   

That was my almost exact thought initially, too.

The odds of the timing just seem.....incredible.

Good luck and keep a check, see if any other odd calls/text come to that phone.

posted on Oct, 13 2016 @ 10:23 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

I had left this number in voicemails for apartment listings maybe twice this week and talked to another landlord yesterday from the phone.

Both properties and property owners are legitimate.

It has to do with the phone, somehow.

link   

Sounds like your calls are being tracked by the government which sold them out to companies within your area of interest. Big Brother is here. I'd throw that phone in the sewer and make sure you get the word out-call your politicians, use social network. We should have known. A free phone, uh, huh.
edit on 13-10-2016 by Justso because: (no reason given)

link   
a reply to: Maverick1

I will.

posted on Oct, 13 2016 @ 10:24 AM
link   
What's an Obama phone?
Forgive my ignorance on this.

posted on Oct, 13 2016 @ 10:26 AM
link   
a reply to: Justso

True, it is free. I don't have personal conversations on it with friends. Hadn't used it since june, when I fell and broke my foot, to call an ambulance. I'm a little surprised there aren't more texts with advertising. I am sure they are free to do that if it is not eating up minutes if I open them.

Have never received an unwanted call.

This text is peculiar, though.

posted on Oct, 13 2016 @ 10:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: MagicCow
What's an Obama phone?
Forgive my ignorance on this.

It is a free, tiny, non smart phone given by the governemnt. For me it comes with 150 minutes a month. Others give up to 500. It is mis-named 'Obamaphone' as the plan was implemented under Bush.

You have to be under a certain income, but the threshold is not very low. You can choose the tiny phone or something like $10 off of your phone or internet bill (in some states with so many using VOIP). It is meant for emergencies or being able to call for what I was calling for if you have nothing else.
edit on 13-10-2016 by reldra because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2016 @ 10:30 AM
link   
Big trouble heading your way. Quick, smash it with a rock and light it on fire with nail polish remover!

posted on Oct, 13 2016 @ 10:31 AM
link   
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

Umm...maybe not quite yet lol.

posted on Oct, 13 2016 @ 10:32 AM
link   
I think Safelink is a third party business on subsidies.

They probably are handing out more free services and pulling an admin fee from each transaction.

posted on Oct, 13 2016 @ 10:32 AM
link   

I think you're tripping. The message mentioned, need help with "housing"?

posted on Oct, 13 2016 @ 10:33 AM
link   

Thank you for the info mate.

posted on Oct, 13 2016 @ 10:36 AM
link   
First off, These are not "Obamaphones"

The Lifeline program originated in 1984, during the administration of Ronald Reagan; it was expanded in 1996, during the administration of Bill Clinton; and its first cellular provider service (SafeLink Wireless) was launched by TracFone in 2008, during the administration of George W. Bush. All of these milestones were passed prior to the advent of the Obama administration.

Source: www.snopes.com...

Secondly, those apartment complexes/owners may be selling your information to 3rd parties for a little kickback.
edit on 13-10-2016 by majesticgent because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2016 @ 10:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: Mandroid7
I think Safelink is a third party business on subsidies.

They probably are handing out more free services and pulling an admin fee from each transaction.

They make money on people running out of minutes and buying more. The phone probably costs $2 to make. And getting some sort of fee as well.

posted on Oct, 13 2016 @ 10:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: majesticgent
First off, These are not "Obamaphones"

The Lifeline program originated in 1984, during the administration of Ronald Reagan; it was expanded in 1996, during the administration of Bill Clinton; and its first cellular provider service (SafeLink Wireless) was launched by TracFone in 2008, during the administration of George W. Bush. All of these milestones were passed prior to the advent of the Obama administration.

Source: www.snopes.com...

Secondly, those apartment complexes/owners may be selling your information to 3rd parties for a little kickback.

I said they were misnamed 'Obamaphone' as they were implemented under Bush. But it is the common term.

No, these are tiny, local properties. One I called, is a 4 unit buiilding on the corner of the street m grandmother has lved on since 1948. I came to find I knew the woman who answered when I called.
edit on 13-10-2016 by reldra because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join