It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Damian Marley Is Converting a California Prison into a Pot Farm

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 13 2016 @ 07:52 AM
link   
Damian Marley, a son of the late and great Bob Marley (and also a famous musical artist in his own right) is partnering up with an organization called Ocean Grown Extracts to convert what was once a 77,000 square foot prison, into a medicinal cannabis farm in California.

Damian Marley has announced that he, in partnership with Ocean Grown Extracts, is converting a former 77,000 square foot California State prison into a cannabis grow space that will cultivate medical marijuana for state dispensaries.

"Many people sacrificed so much for the herb over the years who got locked up," says Marley, 38, noting the poetic justice of turning a prison that once housed non-violent drug offenders into a cannabis cultivation facility.

"If this [venture] helps people and it's used for medicinal purposes and inspires people, it's a success."

As the article mentions, the "poetic justice" of this is news is of high value. *Cue [insert a "Fight the Power" audio clip here]

With their purchase of the Claremont Custody Center in Coalinga, CA for $4.1 million, Marley and his partners instantly relieved the economically-challenged Central Valley town of its roughly $3.3 million debt. The venture will also generate 100 jobs -- in an economically stagnant region plagued by an ongoing, historic drought and descending oil prices, both of which have damaged the region's traditional farming and oil industries -- and will generate an estimated million dollars in annual tax revenues for Coalinga.

The article also discusses how Marley and his partners are "prepared" for the so-called 'Green Rush', where recreational cannabis use could be legalized for adults in California, should Proposition 64 pass in November.

Link to Billboard Article

Article from back in March When the Proposal wad Being Reviewed

posted on Oct, 13 2016 @ 07:53 AM
link   
a reply to: FamCore

Now that would be a place to move to
I hope you all pass the weed laws and then maybe my country will follow suit....I have grand plans.

posted on Oct, 13 2016 @ 08:00 AM
link   
Jr Gong, Ambitious, and a fantastic Artist in his own Right.

posted on Oct, 13 2016 @ 08:07 AM
link   
a reply to: ugmold

He really is - I saw him (and Stephen 'Raggamuffin') in concert a few years back, along with Redman from Wu-Tang, right here in little Vermont of all places

I think this was the first song I heard of Damian's

posted on Oct, 13 2016 @ 09:52 AM
link   

What a great use of a former prison!

posted on Oct, 13 2016 @ 09:58 AM
link   

Interesting. So, they are setting up the place, before the legislation allowing it to become viable is put into force??

Thats bold. Who knows what silliness might happen between now and then!

posted on Oct, 13 2016 @ 10:42 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

From what I understand, the discussion about potentially "legalizing Cannabis for recreational use", doesn't effect the legality of this operation they are starting. California already allows for medical growing facilities as long as you get the proper permitting/licensing/insurance/tax codes/etc.

posted on Oct, 13 2016 @ 10:43 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

Damian and his Partners discuss "being prepared" for if Proposition 64 passes, because it would affect their business model and certain aspects of the industry upon which this operation would be a part of, so that's why it was mentioned (I believe)

posted on Oct, 13 2016 @ 10:56 AM
link   

Well, this seems perfectly logical

posted on Oct, 13 2016 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Coalinga has heavy Earthquake activity due to its approximation to the SAF line.

posted on Oct, 13 2016 @ 12:08 PM
link   

Nice! Creating jobs, erasing insurmountable debt and boosting the economy in a depressed area, and creating effective, powerful medicine and other products...all with a little herbal plant that grows in nature. Nothing goes to waste.

This right here is the number one reason why our government demonizes MJ growers and Cannabis in general. If they don't keep it out of our hot little hands, we might unite and start a revolution. We might create a world where there is no room for Big Pharma and Big Government. Everyone might actually get along with one another, and that is the very last thing They want us to do.

posted on Oct, 13 2016 @ 12:28 PM
link   
Hell yeah!!! Hats off to Damien.

posted on Oct, 13 2016 @ 12:28 PM
link   
Hell yeah!!! Hats off to Damien.

top topics

join