It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Thailand's King Bhumibol Adulyadej Has Died at 88

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 13 2016 @ 07:39 AM
link   
CNN

Recently, a hospital stated that The King was in an 'unstable condition' after undergoing various medical procedures last weekend.

At his death, he was the world's current longest reigning monarch, having become king 70 years ago.

Wiki

was the ninth monarch of Thailand from the Chakri Dynasty as Rama IX. Having reigned since 9 June 1946, he was, at the time of his death, the world's longest-serving head of state[2] and the longest-reigning monarch in Thai history, serving for 70 years, 126 days.[3]Bhumibol was a painter, musician, photographer, author and translator. His book Phra Mahachanok is based on a traditional Jataka story of Buddhist scripture. The Story of Thong Daeng is the story of his dog Thong Daeng.[124] Bhumibol was an accomplished jazz saxophone player and composer, playing dixieland and New Orleans jazz, and also plays the clarinet, trumpet, guitar, and piano. He was an accomplished sailor and sailboat designer

NYT

King Bhumibol, politically influential and highly revered, was a unifying figure in a deeply polarized country, and his death casts a pall of uncertainty across Thailand.

posted on Oct, 13 2016 @ 07:52 AM
link   
When I heard this the first thought that came to my mind was what, if any, effect this sad news might have on the current China/Taiwan dynamic, and the wider South East Asia situation.a reply to: reldra

edit on 13-10-2016 by CulturalResilience because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2016 @ 07:56 AM
link   
Interesting news.

I lived in Bangkok from 1979 - 1981 as a kid. The people there loved their king.

There used to be a story that if you were there and were trying to pay for something using their money (known as Bahts), if you dropped it, to never, ever, ever, stomp on the bill with you foot to keep it from blowing away. If you did, the Thais would beat the snot out of you for insulting their king (who's face is on all the bills).

posted on Oct, 13 2016 @ 08:30 AM
link   
Sad news.

I love Thailand.

posted on Oct, 13 2016 @ 01:46 PM
link   
Seeing the sheer agony and grief upon the people's faces is too much (tears in my eyes).

BBC news: Thailand's King Bhumibol Adulyadej dead at 88.

Sad news indeed.

posted on Oct, 13 2016 @ 04:32 PM
link   
a reply to: TEOTWAWKIAIFF

very sad news, but not unexpected. may Thailand be in peace! may the new king t.b. Vajiralongkorn be as good to thai people as his father was.

i have met King Bhumibol long time go at a fundraiser. he collected for the aid of the elefants. ever since then i read up and followed his life. i got to love this humble king also.

here my favorite picture of him playing a trumpet.

RIP King Bhumibol

a lifetime of love and achievement
edit on 13-10-2016 by lucia2389 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join