It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

POLITICS: Bush Pressured Canada on Missile Defense Program

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2005 @ 06:51 PM
link   
While visiting Canada recently, George Bush reportedly pressured Paul Martin to sign on to the Missile Defense Program. Canadian officials had been assured prior to the visit that this topic would not be brought up, but President Bush raised the issue to the surprise of everyone on the Canadian side. An unidentified Canadian official quotes President Bush as saying "I don't understand this. Are you saying that if you got up and said this is necessary for the defence of Canada, it wouldn't be accepted?"

www.cbc.ca
President George W. Bush tried to bully Canadian officials on missile defence during his visit last month by linking Canada's participation to future protection from the U.S., the Washington Post reported Sunday.

The newspaper quoted an unidentified Canadian official who was in the room as saying Bush waved off their attempts to explain how contentious the issue is for Prime Minister Paul Martin's minority government.

"(Bush) leaned across the table and said: 'I'm not taking this position, but some future president is going to say, Why are we paying to defend Canada?' " the official was quoted as saying.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

The Missle Defense program is a very sensitive topic in Canadian politics. With a minority government in power at the moment, Paul Martin signing on to this program would most likely cause a vote of non-confidence, and result in a general election. It would likely be political suicide for Martin, and for Bush to push this topic, shows his lack of knowledge on the political situation in Canada.

[edit on 23-1-2005 by Banshee]

posted on Jan, 23 2005 @ 08:51 PM
link   
Bush is an ignorant SOB. Reportedly, in a brief meeting with New Democratic Party leader, Jack Layton, he asked Bush if the missile defence program would eventually involve the weaponization of space and Bush answered yes. Layton spoke in the House of Commons this at their next sitting telling them what Bush had said and was heckled by Liberal Members of Parliament. It was a disgusting display.

Although Martin denies that he was surprised Bush brought the subject up when he spoke at Halifax's Pier 21 (Canada's original immigration terminal, turned into a museum)...many believe Martin was taken off guard as the subject, being very touchy to Canadians was not supposed to be discussed. Being that this was a major foreign policy speech for Bush, he could care less.

The NDP and the Bloc Quebecois are firmly against missile defence, the Conservative Party is taking a "wait for more information" approach, but would likely agree to it. So a yes vote on the part of Martin and his minority Liberal government would most likely cause a vote of non-confidence, which would mean calling another federal election - no one wants right now.

This appeared on the NDP website recently - I kinda liked it:

img182.exs.cx...
Bush-Martin '04 - WRONG on Star Wars

IMHO the best defence is to stop the madness now!

[edit on 23/1/05 by AlwaysLearning]

posted on Jan, 23 2005 @ 09:21 PM
link   
I believe Martin gave a big fat "NO" to Bush on our participation on the Missile Defence shield as PM doesn't want another election right now anyway as his position is precarious at best. I'm looking for the link right now, as it was posted on ATSNN or ATS a while back...

EDIT: And the Link as promised, couldn't find the ATSNN article or Thread oh well

www.canadiancontent.net...

www.murkyview.com...

www.notacolony.ca...

[edit on 23-1-2005 by sardion2000]

posted on Jan, 23 2005 @ 09:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by AlwaysLearning
Bush is an ignorant SOB.

But do you think you could tell me what you really think of him, it's not quite clear

Bringing this topic up just shows how woefully ignorant he is about international politics. I remember watching the press conference, and being quite surprised at his personal charisma, until that came out of his mouth. Then all I could think was 'Is he trying to get Paul Martin fired?'. I just hope we can stall long enough for some sanity to return to the situation, four more years perhaps?

posted on Jan, 23 2005 @ 09:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Duzey
But do you think you could tell me what you really think of him, it's not quite clear

Bringing this topic up just shows how woefully ignorant he is about international politics. I remember watching the press conference, and being quite surprised at his personal charisma, until that came out of his mouth. Then all I could think was 'Is he trying to get Paul Martin fired?'. I just hope we can stall long enough for some sanity to return to the situation, four more years perhaps?

I know...I really mustn't be so shy and speak up!

I just about fell off my chair when Bush started speaking about missile defence!! Any way you look at it, Martin is between a rock and a hard place....he's screwed either way.

posted on Jan, 23 2005 @ 09:45 PM
link   
It's when subjects like this come up that I'm glad we have a minority govt. Maybe a whole lot won't get accomplished, but at least it keeps the govt on a leash, for a pleasant change.

posted on Jan, 23 2005 @ 09:57 PM
link   

It's when subjects like this come up that I'm glad we have a minority govt. Maybe a whole lot won't get accomplished, but at least it keeps the govt on a leash, for a pleasant change.

Umm well alot of things can get done with Minority gov'ts. Thats how Universal Health care got started I believe, as well as the National Affordible Housing Program. Deals can be struck even in situations like this. Only deals that are beneficial to the majority will get passed, so you can betcha that the Liberals will be supporting alot of Lefty bills just to avoid No-Confidance. Thats my feeling anyway, paul martin is a beurocrat. A bean counter he has no spine. He wants a nice long reign like Cretien did and nothing Bush can say or do will change who he is still accountable too. Well maybe not but he probably is just biding his time until the oppotune time to call an election to get his(or Cretiens) Majority back. But in the mean time our Gov't should be trying to get as much done as possible.

posted on Jan, 23 2005 @ 10:02 PM
link   
Doh! Health care, how could I forget that.

I guess what I should have said is it keeps them from doing any of the more overtly crappy stuff they do when they have a majority. I actually quite like the idea of a minority govt.

posted on Jan, 23 2005 @ 10:04 PM
link   

Actually, me too. We got some of our best programs during minority governments - canada pension, medicare, the flag... The government in power needs to sit up and fly right or they get the boot. Its a win-win for Canadians because if what they propose is reasonable the opposition will support it.

Just realized I repeated what Sardion said...did scroll up enough. Hey great minds think alike, eh!!!

[edit on 23/1/05 by AlwaysLearning]

posted on Jan, 23 2005 @ 10:07 PM
link   
Let's just all hope if North Korea does lob an ICBM this way it lands in Canada!

posted on Jan, 23 2005 @ 10:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77
Let's just all hope if North Korea does lob an ICBM this way it lands in Canada!

Don't worry...it won't. Canada has few, if any enemies. Gee, nice neighbour you are...

posted on Jan, 23 2005 @ 10:11 PM
link   
We wouldn't have to worry about that if you guys would just relax.

Instead of all this posturing, why don't Bush and Kim just whip 'em out, see whose is longer, and be done with it.

posted on Jan, 23 2005 @ 10:11 PM
link   

You better hope not if you live anywhere near the border as Radioactive winds might make you eat your words

posted on Jan, 23 2005 @ 10:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by sardion2000

You better hope not if you live anywhere near the border as Radioactive winds might make you eat your words

I'm not hoping that North Korea will launch an ICBM at anyone, but if they do fire one at North America there'd be a certain irony if it does land in Canada instead of the U.S. with all this whining about not wanting to participate in any defense technology to stop it, that's all I'm saying.

posted on Jan, 23 2005 @ 10:18 PM
link   
If and when that does happen, you have my permission to be the first one to say 'I told you so'. But the fact remains that if it did, it would be because of US foreign policy, and nothing we did. That would certainly be ironic as well, I think.

posted on Jan, 23 2005 @ 10:18 PM
link   
humm....i wonder when the word "bully" changed it's meaning.... Is it's meaning different in Canada?..... Did president Bush say "You better do this or we will attack you"?..... No, he didn't.... he made a comment...and btw, that i remember correctly it was the Chinese who in recent years were the ones who started talking about militarizing space....of course the US government will make their own announcements to do so also and to make sure that we are protected..... Hell the Russians and the Chinese have a missile defense system....

China is not one of the 15 countries "cooperating" with us for peaceful missions on the space station. Instead, that biggest and most populous country on earth is doing its own solo, secret space work.

China's leaders have leaked that they intend to have men on the moon by 2010 and establish a base there. When that happens, the shock may be even greater than when the former USSR, Russia's mother country, put Sputnik in orbit in 1957.

Excerpted from.
www.usatoday.com...

Strangely enough, the new Russian proposal for a European Ballistic Missile Defense (BMD) system , which Russian Minister of Defense Igor Sergeev gave to NATO Secretary General Lord George Robertson on February 20, 2001, did not draw serious attention from the media. Reports about that meeting boiled down to claims that Russia admitted the presence of missile threats and interpreted the new proposal as evidence that the seemingly implacable foe of American plans to deploy a national missile defense (NMD) is changing position. U.S. Representative Curt Weldon (R-PA), who visited Moscow immediately after Lord Robertson, called it a "bluff" designed "to drive a wedge between NATO allies and the U.S."[1] Even more intriguing is that the diagram depicting the proposed defense system remains unknown.
Immediately following that agreement, on June 6, 2000, during a trip to Europe, President Vladimir Putin proposed a joint U.S.-NATO-Russian missile defense system to protect Europe. It became clear that instead of a "grand bargain" (an expected trade-off between START III, which Russia sought, and amendments to the 1972 ABM Treaty, which were sought by the United States) the first place on the U.S.-Russian agenda now belonged to a "grand National Missile Defense game." (See CNS report A Grand NMD Game: The Challenge Of New Russian Initiatives.)

Excerpted from.
cns.miis.edu...

The December issue of Jane’s Missiles and Rockets notes that China is developing two versions of the FT-2000 air and missile defense system, namely the FT-2000A and FT-2000B. The report of the two versions is not by itself new. The article rather seems to have been prompted by a leaflet distributed at the recent Zhuhai air show. New information added by the leaflet also includes that the full system, which China reportedly hopes to market around the world, would include a “passive radar,” 12 launchers with one missile each, a single support station, and three slave or relay stations.

Excerpted from, and where you can find more information about China's recent additions of their missile defense systems, something which has been going on for some time now, even before we had a proposal in 2000 for a missile defense system.
www.missilethreat.com...

posted on Jan, 23 2005 @ 10:19 PM
link   

[I'm not hoping that North Korea will launch an ICBM at anyone, but if they do fire one at North America there'd be a certain irony if it does land in Canada instead of the U.S. with all this whining about not wanting to participate in any defense technology to stop it, that's all I'm saying.

Here's the best advice for our neighbour: stop pissing off the world and you won't need to spend billions on missile defence!

No charge for that, buddy!

posted on Jan, 23 2005 @ 10:26 PM
link   
Oh! I see Muaddib's back from the inauguration. Welcome back, buddy.

posted on Jan, 23 2005 @ 10:27 PM
link   
Muaddib,

I would agree with you that bullying was probably not the best choice of words, and had I wrote the article I wouldn't have used it. I prefer pressured. It was more of an implied economic threat, we're just very sensitive to that, up here.

It's hard to have a neighbour that doesn't even try to think of your perspective. It was an ignorant action, because if Paul Martin did sign us up, our govt would be disolved, and we would have to have another election. Just think of the headlines then 'Bush Topples Canadian Government'. That's just how serious we take this program.

posted on Jan, 23 2005 @ 10:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by AlwaysLearning
Here's the best advice for our neighbour: stop pissing off the world and you won't need to spend billions on missile defence!

No charge for that, buddy!

Yeah those North Koreans really had a lot to be pissed off about after Clinton gave them billions in aid to halt their nuclear program.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join