It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

U.S. military strikes Yemen after missile attacks on U.S. Navy ship

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 12 2016 @ 11:59 PM
link   

The U.S. military launched cruise missile strikes on Thursday to knock out three coastal radar sites in areas of Yemen controlled by Iran-aligned Houthi forces, retaliating after failed missile attacks this week on a U.S. Navy destroyer, U.S. officials said.

The strikes, authorized by President Barack Obama, represent Washington's first direct military action against suspected Houthi-controlled targets in Yemen's conflict.

Still, the Pentagon appeared to stress the limited nature of the strikes, which were aimed at radar that enabled the launch of at least three missiles against the U.S. Navy destroyer USS Mason since Sunday.

U.S. military strikes Yemen after missile attacks on U.S. Navy ship

Well that didn't take very long for a response from the US. I wonder what the US has planned as far as becoming directly engaged now.

Crazy times indeed.

posted on Oct, 13 2016 @ 12:02 AM
link   
a reply to: Vector99

This President is INCAPABLE of any military prescience, he can but react.

posted on Oct, 13 2016 @ 12:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: cavtrooper7

This President is INCAPABLE of any military prescience, he can but react.

Honestly it's more of a response than I expected. I figured it would go down as another Iranian-type incident, no harm no response. I was wrong for sure.

posted on Oct, 13 2016 @ 12:07 AM
link   
So do we declare war anymore?
or we can just exchange fire with whoever, whenever???

posted on Oct, 13 2016 @ 12:10 AM
link   
Ahhh Sh!t.. where is Zaphod? Was it the Mason?

Ho lee sch!tz the Nitze!
Now i await the Ponce and it's upgraded laser weapons.

Welcome to the Fold !
edit on 13-10-2016 by Bigburgh because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2016 @ 12:11 AM
link   
Houthis done #ed up, for now. Russia, Iran and North Korea are trying to overthrow the elected pro US Yemen government.

posted on Oct, 13 2016 @ 12:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: dashen

Well in this case it's a reaction, not a first strike, hopefully it's not a way to sneak ourselves into the conflict for the Saudi's. Supposedly, according to the Pentagon it was simply a response to ensure safe naval passage, and hopefully that's ALL it was.

posted on Oct, 13 2016 @ 12:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: Vector99

Well in this case it's a reaction, not a first strike, hopefully it's not a way to sneak ourselves into the conflict for the Saudi's. Supposedly, according to the Pentagon it was simply a response to ensure safe naval passage, and hopefully that's ALL it was.

But how close were the inbound d missiles and "self-defense" shots? Over 24 hours?

posted on Oct, 13 2016 @ 12:16 AM
link   
Putting the Nobel peace prize to shame.

posted on Oct, 13 2016 @ 12:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: Tempter

originally posted by: Vector99

But how close were the inbound d missiles and "self-defense" shots? Over 24 hours?

I'm trying to find it but it seems there was another attempted attack. I believe the first time was 2 missiles, but I read something about a 3rd missile launched. Can't find the source anymore...
google is my friend

WASHINGTON ― A U.S. Navy destroyer was targeted on Wednesday in a failed missile attack from territory in Yemen controlled by Iran-aligned Houthi rebels, the second such incident in the past four days, U.S. officials told Reuters. The USS Mason, which was accompanied by the USS Ponce - an amphibious transport dock - fired defensive salvos in response to the missiles, neither of which hit the ship or caused any damage as it operated north of the Bab al-Mandab Strait, the officials said, speaking on condition of anonymity. The renewed attempt to target the U.S. Navy destroyer will add pressure on the U.S. military to retaliate, a move that would represent the first direct U.S. military action against Houthis in Yemen’s conflict. The Pentagon hinted about possible retaliatory strikes on Tuesday.

edit on 13-10-2016 by Vector99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2016 @ 12:20 AM
link   
a reply to: Tempter

There was at least one more missile fired at the Mason earlier today.

The first attack, the Mason fired two SM-2s, one ESSM, and a decoy. It's not clear if they shot the first missile down, the second impacted the water without being hit.
edit on 10/13/2016 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2016 @ 12:22 AM
link   
So who are Yemen's allies? Iran, ok. Does that mean Russia by default?

This is scary.

That's two separate attacks, so it can't be a mistake.

I hope it doesn't pop off.
edit on 13-10-2016 by Tempter because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2016 @ 12:25 AM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Thanks... brewing coffee and biscuits

posted on Oct, 13 2016 @ 12:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58
a reply to: Tempter

The first attack, the Mason fired two SM-2s, one ESSM, and a decoy. It's not clear if they shot the first missile down, the second impacted the water without being hit.

See your update, thanks!

Question, what you mention, is that a defensive response to the missiles fired at them?

posted on Oct, 13 2016 @ 12:38 AM
link   

The SM-2 is a long range antiaircraft/antimissile weapon. It's designed to hit targets at all altitudes. The standard automatic engagement is a shoot-shoot-look. The system fires two missiles and then looks to see if they hit the target.

The ESSM is the Evolved Sea Sparrow Missile. It's the replacement for the Phalanx close in weapons system. It hits targets going faster, and father out than CIWS could.

The decoy is the Nulka. It's a rocket powered decoy system. It launches, and moves off away from the ship, where it hovers, broadcasting a large radar signature to attract radar guided missiles.

posted on Oct, 13 2016 @ 12:39 AM
link   

Taking out radar as first strike targets would imply potential airstrikes coming up.
we saw this crap when the rebels fired into Israel and Turkey to force a response against Syrian forces.
zero advantage to the houthis attacking a USA vessel. 99% false flag

edit on 13-10-2016 by all2human because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2016 @ 12:40 AM
link   
a reply to: all2human

The radar systems that were hit were active in both attacks on the Mason and the attack on the Swift.

posted on Oct, 13 2016 @ 12:40 AM
link   

Does the Mason have an Aegis system on it? That is some insanely fast reactionary time.

posted on Oct, 13 2016 @ 12:42 AM
link   

The Mason and Nitze are both Arleigh Burke class destroyers. They are Aegis destroyers, but use a different radar system than the Ticonderoga cruisers. The Burke uses the SPY-1D, as opposed to the SPY-1A/B. The -1D is a 3D radar.

posted on Oct, 13 2016 @ 12:46 AM
link   

Soooo, the real question I gotta ask you, do you think this means we will become more directly engaged in Yemen? I wasn't surprised when there was no response on the first attack, and I just heard about the second attempt when reading the story, but I would typically assume there would be another non-response, but the Saudi's are involved. Is this our back-door into it?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join