It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Aliens could survive on a diet of radiation, study finds

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 12 2016 @ 10:31 PM
link   
So you wondered about giant craft sucking radiation from the Sun, you've marvelled about UFO's disappearing into Volcanos.

Well, wonder no more for here is a new study to answer all your radiation theories!!

Well, maybe....ahem.

Drip, drip, drip.................

www.rt.com...

A bug found feeding off radioactive uranium has opened the possibility to scientists that alien life could survive on a diet of cosmic rays and not require light, oxygen and carbon - believed to be the building blocks of life here on Earth.
The bacterium Desulforudis audaxviator was found 2.8km beneath a gold mine in South Africa, completely deprived of all things required for photosynthesis. The discovery is leading scientists to rethink their theories on what is required to create life, according to a study published by the Royal Society.

Desulforudis audaxviator survives off sulfur and water molecules in it’s surrounding rock which are broken up by the radiation. The study theorized that instead of feeding off radioactive materials beneath the planet, microbes could instead be supplied by galactic cosmic rays that are spewed by supernovas.

The study found that underground life on the moon could theoretically survive on the cosmic rays they are exposed too, if water and a heat source were available. Atri next plans to study how cosmic radiation levels similar to those found on Mars would affect Desulforudis audaxviator.

posted on Oct, 12 2016 @ 10:40 PM
link   
a reply to: CaptainBeno

Sloppy headline and careless use of the term 'feed' -- the organisms ate material, that was broken down for them by the radiation -- and it was a fun read until the last paragraph from a cool guy [hikes Antarctic dry valleys hunting for Mars spores] I've known for almost forty years....

However, NASA astrobiologist Chris McKay dismissed the theory telling Popular Science, "The energy itself is so small, and because of the high radiation, the organism would have to spend a lot of energy repairing damage from radiation. It uses a lot of its energy in this process".

posted on Oct, 12 2016 @ 11:09 PM
link   
Technically, green plants on Earth survive on radiation emitted from the Sun, so the idea doesn't seem that far fetched. A species technically advanced enough in genetic engineering should be able to incorporate something like photosynthesis into their DNA. If they could absorb higher energy gamma radiation, all the better.

posted on Oct, 12 2016 @ 11:13 PM
link   
Maybe something could live inside of a space rock off of organic material broken down by radiation in space?
ETA: Maybe that's how life would be seeded?
edit on 12-10-2016 by underwerks because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2016 @ 01:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: CaptainBeno
Aliens could survive on a diet of radiation, study finds

Actually, this is very old news!
The Vedas and Upanishads have stated that we will find no planet or star(!!!), that is completely devoid of 'life'.
As our ability to 'see' further than the end of our noses, as our technical ability to detect and 'redefine' (as knowledge increases) improves, we will 'suddenly' find 'life' all over the place!
We are only just beginning to imagine that all 'life' need not be mirror images of the Earthly!
Remember Captain Kirk's rock friend who ate silicon? Silicon, rather than 'carbon' based.
Stay tuned, you will find 'amazed scientists' all over the place! *__-

posted on Oct, 13 2016 @ 06:49 AM
link   

im a red head and i dont need sun to survive, does that make me alien. we do have a completely different make up. the MC1R gene. We generate our own vitamin D in our skin which is not done by any other human.

need to try the radiation thing and put it to the test

posted on Oct, 13 2016 @ 11:51 PM
link   
a reply to: lSkrewloosel

Having a little tint of the red myself that is very interesting......i didn't know that?

posted on Oct, 18 2016 @ 04:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: lSkrewloosel

im a red head and i dont need sun to survive, does that make me alien. we do have a completely different make up. the MC1R gene. We generate our own vitamin D in our skin which is not done by any other human.

need to try the radiation thing and put it to the test

Every human has the MCR1 gene. Yours is a variant, there are other variants.
Every human generates their own vitamin D from exposure to sunlight, just like you do.
The difference for you is you require less light to do so.

Harte

posted on Oct, 19 2016 @ 06:18 AM
link   
a reply to: Harte

thanks for the additional informatiom, im still special, just not as special as i once was before reading your post

posted on Oct, 20 2016 @ 04:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: lSkrewloosel

thanks for the additional informatiom, im still special, just not as special as i once was before reading your post

Just stay out of the sunlight. LOL

Harte

posted on Oct, 21 2016 @ 06:19 AM
link   

haha
Day walkers

new topics

top topics

join