It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

We haven’t met aliens because they’re DEAD – and humans are NEXT

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 12 2016 @ 09:14 PM
link   
a reply to: MarkOfTheV

I read an interesting scifi short story once.

The gist was that the galaxy at least (may have been the universe---don't recall)

Can only reasonably tolerate 1 aggressive/expansionist star-travelling species at a time...(even at 10% of the speed of light, humans could colonize the entire galaxy in a million years or something like that).

So humans found a "goodbye note" from the previous species who had evacuated to give humans a chance and who kindly asked humans to be nice when their time was done and to leave a note for the next species.

Now logical holes? Myriad.

But it tickles me...since there is no trace (yet)....the whole Fermi Paradox thing.

I have my own theory....but the concept that we might be nearly or entirely alone always makes me smile for a variety of reasons.

Kev

posted on Oct, 12 2016 @ 10:00 PM
link   
a reply to: KellyPrettyBear

That sounds like a good read. Reminds me of Jack McDevitt stuff like Engines of God and Chindi... not so much the specific statistic of how many species there can be, but more in the line of, any reference to species that you come across will only be a "calling card" of sorts.

Lots of mystery in that...

posted on Oct, 13 2016 @ 12:34 AM
link   

The universe has been around for roughly 13.8 billion years and modern-day humans have existed for 200,000 years – just 0.00145 per cent of all time. 

Don't judge, but this little bit of info just blew my mind. Makes me really question my existence, but I won't let myself dwell on that just yet.

What if, WE are the aliens? Why does the idea of Allen life forms not only fascinate us but also scare the living daylight out of us? Maybe we are what's left of a species that has been bouncing from planet planet trying to suck the life out of everything so we can survive?

We could be the evolved version of some DNA seed that was planted.

Who knows, really. Who are we to think that we even matter to the universe? We are just a part of it. Dinosaurs walked the earth for however long only to be wiped out by a rock hurtling through space, right?

edit on 13-10-2016 by PageLC14 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2016 @ 12:48 AM
link   
So we either destroy ourselves or every 50,000 years the Reapers come to cleanse us

posted on Oct, 13 2016 @ 01:47 AM
link   
a reply to: The Arbiter of Lies

Seems to be the inevitable, doesn't it? Just like everything that has lived up until now, humans will eventually die out. Or at least humans as we recognize them.

From the beginning of time, what has been the one constant? What is still here now that has always been?

posted on Oct, 13 2016 @ 06:46 AM
link   

New gardens need direct tending. Terraforming is a drawn out process. Finding the habitable planets, tweaking the atmosphere to the correct balance of gasses, introducing life, building a chain of interdependent systems, monitoring against destruction by some cataclysm which would destroy the work. Takes millions of years to bring to fruition.

The whole goal is to bear as many souls as possible. The Universe is a big place.

This is a successful project.

posted on Oct, 13 2016 @ 06:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: cavtrooper7
a reply to: intrptr

IT'S ALL WE can DO, without company from off world...unless we all go psychic...which would be hilarious...

Until you see one of their 'thingys' directly.

cavtrooper7 goes from laughariot to jaw drop dumbfoundment in one second.

I'd love to be standing there with you saying, "told you so".

By the by, we all go 'psychic', when we pass (see thread title).

posted on Oct, 13 2016 @ 06:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: PageLC14

Seems to be the inevitable, doesn't it? Just like everything that has lived up until now, humans will eventually die out. Or at least humans as we recognize them.

From the beginning of time, what has been the one constant? What is still here now that has always been?

But it also seems that there will always be newer life who had not yet died off.

Someday when the universe is so sparse that star formation and planet formation is virtually nonexistent, then there very well may be a "last life" in the universe. However at the moment, the universe is so vast (assuming that it is finite, but still incredibly vast), and seems to be a place where star formation seems to occur on a relatively good pace, then it seems highly unlikely that WE are the most technological civilization that has yet to kill themselves off.

I doubt we are that special.

posted on Oct, 13 2016 @ 07:38 AM
link   

Well the petri dish (the Galaxy) needs to be kept sterile, and only one strain of virus
(humans are a virus aka "the Matrix) should be allowed to proliferate in the agar
solution for study.. otherwise if you had 2 strains, they'd kill each other off and the
whole experiment ruined.

posted on Oct, 13 2016 @ 07:40 AM
link   
a reply to: PageLC14

Out of laziness, any promising species would always create it's successor which destroys it.

People always want robot slaves, etc.

We are currently summoning the demons which will destroy us.. genetic engineering,
cybernetics and especially AI.

Natural born humans will be extinct, one way or another, within 1000 years.

posted on Oct, 13 2016 @ 07:44 AM
link   
a reply to: Box of Rain

That's my view too.

WE are the most advanced in this galaxy at least.. and maybe the entire Universe.

Now.. have some older races "ascended"?

I believe so.

By ascended I mean, they are now free-roaming plasma clouds, planetary-scale AI,
or live outside of time or something like that.. but we will never meet them, unless they
wish it.. and they don't wish it.

We are now and always will be *alone*, with the exception of the silent observing
"ascended". IMHO

Kev

posted on Oct, 13 2016 @ 07:46 AM
link   
I read this article yesterday too. Very interesting.

It really brings to mind the theory that we are living in a simulation. When I hear the virtual reality theory previously I always wondered why? Well now we have a great "why". To see how advanced a civilization can get before it wipes itself out. Can any civ make it past a certain nuclear point? Perhaps this experiment has been tried and failed a million times previously. Maybe other civilizations, like ours, get to the point where we actually realize what is going on and attempt to leave clues behind (Pyramid, Stonehenge, etc) to others.

posted on Oct, 13 2016 @ 07:49 AM
link   
I sort of agree we all know the vast distances in space but time is equally as big, what are the chances of two species bumping into each other in time?.
I guess If we survive (we won't) we may have a chance to find many other dead civilizations.

posted on Oct, 13 2016 @ 07:52 AM
link   
a reply to: jjkenobi

Whether we actually directly live in a physical universe or not, is almost academic.

Many scientists think that we live inside a giant quantum computer composed of the Universe
itself. So the "big bang" and all that was real...evolution.. all that.. but FUNCTIONALLY we
are still "programs" executing inside this semi-sentient quantum Universe.

The difference between that, and some aliens or whatever running a simulation inside the
base program (the real physical quantum computer Universe) --- almost neglible.

I really don't care if I'm executing from "Ring 0 - kernel mode" (computer talk) or "Ring 1 - user mode".

On some level, in some way, we are all "simulations", whether purposeful or "accidental" through
blind evolution.

Kev

posted on Oct, 13 2016 @ 07:52 AM
link   

More to the point we don't know how rare life actually is to even make that assumption. What if for example each galaxy manages to produce one intelligent species and two is very unlikely. That means there could be billions of intelligent species with no way to contact each other. Or let's say humans weren't here the next intellegent species would be dolphins. And we'll let's face it they aren't going to be building space ships they aren't equipped for it. The only way we are truly going to know if we are alone is to get out there and look.

Anything else is just wild speculation considering we could have an intelligent species on the other side of the galaxy they will never know were here and we won't know they are there. Thr distances involved makes it vritually impossible. So how many species actually venture off there planet who knows we may be the first. And just maybe do to some strange circumstance we are the only ones capable.

I will say this if aliens visited earth unless they had hostile intentions would have made contact. If they are here and haven't announced themselves this bodes very badly for humanity. Either they want to conquer us or consider us so far beneath them that it's like us trying to have a conversation with a mouse. And you know what we do to mice right.

posted on Oct, 13 2016 @ 07:53 AM
link   
Interesting read and I don't mind Brian Cox. But to turn around and say civilisations will kill themselves off is a bit far fetched. How does he know this? Is he simply trying say that all civilisations would be like human. We only have evidence of one race that kills its self and that's us. I'd like to think an advanced civilisation have gone past the point where hey feel the need to kill each other for power and resources

posted on Oct, 13 2016 @ 07:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: ThePeaceMaker
Interesting read and I don't mind Brian Cox. But to turn around and say civilisations will kill themselves off is a bit far fetched. How does he know this? Is he simply trying say that all civilisations would be like human. We only have evidence of one race that kills its self and that's us. I'd like to think an advanced civilisation have gone past the point where hey feel the need to kill each other for power and resources

I mean, c'mon. The theory that there is intelligent life out there is already far fetched. Couple that in with why we haven't detected them or been contacted and... it's a pretty sound hypothesis.

posted on Oct, 13 2016 @ 08:05 AM
link   
Well we all have our own opinions I suppose
as for advanced alien life ... c'mon look how big the universe is (or how big it seems to be) your telling me that we are the only 'advanced civilisation' out there. I've not had any evidence to prove there is life but a part of me tells me that there is I don't believe we are the only chumps out there

As for not detecting any them or contacting them, who says we haven't? I've always like the idea that the aliens have visited but seen how barbaric the human race is they decided to drive pass the turn off for Earth.

It's like .. I'm from the UK, I can contact people in Syria but damn I wouldn't think of actually going there

who knows though. I doubt in my life time I'll ever hear the truth about other civilisations

posted on Oct, 13 2016 @ 10:21 AM
link   
However it does make you wonder what happened to all the other civilisations on our own planet

posted on Oct, 13 2016 @ 10:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: ThePeaceMaker
However it does make you wonder what happened to all the other civilisations on our own planet

Don't get the skeptics started on this one, as well!

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join