It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Astronomers Detect Over 200 Potentially Intelligent Signals From Solar Type Stars

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 14 2016 @ 02:29 AM
link   
a reply to: charlyv

So it's more like they are "whispering" to one another then, using the lowest threshold of amplitude/energy possible perhaps so as NOT to broadcast their communications to the whole galaxy..? Is that a possibility?

If it was an intended signal then it would probably be much more amplified.

I guess this suggest too that there is no form of quantum communication "ancible" that is possible, as some current experimentation suggests.

How effective would radio wave communication be between star systems anyway?

Hmph, this ones a real mystery.

posted on Oct, 14 2016 @ 02:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: bobw927
is it AM , FM , Upper or Lower side Band , FSK, RTTY, Packet , or ASCII and what Frequency Range ???

The frequency range is the carrier, all the rest are forms of data modulation and encoding... which as yet, probably cannot be determined.

posted on Oct, 14 2016 @ 02:38 AM
link   
a reply to: jeep3r

Great post! *THIS* is why I come to ATS.

posted on Oct, 14 2016 @ 03:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: bobw927
is it AM , FM , Upper or Lower side Band , FSK, RTTY, Packet , or ASCII and what Frequency Range ???

I think your gonna need a very sensitive photoelectric detector for rx, and a very powerful laser to tx. The modulation would need to be equal the same number of photons as the sun or more.

All you need to do is embed a signal into the sun for tx..... and your good to go.

Please say Hi for me.....
Thanks
edit on 14-10-2016 by imitator because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2016 @ 03:18 AM
link   
a reply to: imitator

I can't afford that equipment and if I could there are many companies that make it. But Microwave seems to be the most practical , line of site and in space NO Problem there and a little power goes a long way , like the voyager. thank you for your response .

posted on Oct, 14 2016 @ 04:01 AM
link   
a reply to: bobw927

so according to Prof. Ermanno F. Borra there might be some kind of information highway with stars that have spectral types (colors) in a narrow spectral range centered on the spectral type of the sun. And that intelligent signals could be hidden but also discovered in already available data-sets of sky surveys.....

That could open up a can of worms to a wide scope of astronomical surveys! Right?

Different types of surveys could be used as rx etc... lol sounds good. That and maybe amateur astronomy equipment could work on rx.

We are all set to go.....

posted on Oct, 14 2016 @ 04:29 AM
link   
a reply to: projectvxn

agreed
best i have seen for a while and with some real meat on the bone, this has gave me something to look into for today...

posted on Oct, 14 2016 @ 07:01 AM
link   
From the source

Although unlikely, there is also a possibility that the signals are due to highly peculiar chemical compositions in a small fraction of galactic halo stars.

DUN DUN DUUNNN

Like i said in my previous post the first Pulsar was thought to be ET they said this at that time.

No known natural sources would produce such a signal. Bell and Hewish began to rule out various sources of human interference, including other radio astronomers, radar reflected off the moon, television signals, orbiting satellites, and even possible effects from a large corrugated metal building near the telescope. None of those could explain the strange signal.

They were wrong about that as well.

If Mog from Zog is out there I doubt very much that there are 242 other civilizations nearby at the same time.

posted on Oct, 14 2016 @ 07:35 AM
link   
a reply to: wmd_2008

Biggest problem is the amount of energy involved in this type of communication. For example to send a signal I build a laser easy enough but then I need to determine where to send thr signal. So I plot the course of a star and rhen the orbit of the planet on this case earth and send the signal where it would be 2 million years in to the future. As you can see just that alone makes it ineffective and virtually impossible. To avoid that I could build a million lasers again send my signal in random directions. But again odds are stIill good nothing will be there so i make a biliion and now my energy requirements become more than say the planet earth could produce.

The idea that this is a form of communication borders on the ludicrous. The amount of energy required to send light signals In all directions at 5hat point your creating a sun. So I'm going to say this guy didn't think about his proposals very well at all and has almost zero critical thinking. Radio waves are chosen a a form of communication for a reason but do to red shift are quickly lost in to background noise. Any em transmission is just not an effective form of communication between solar systems.

If one exists it would have to involve either quantum tunneling or quantum entanglement. Neither of these two would be detectable for anyone other than a pre planned reciever. So that leaves only one option picking up thr noise a planet makes using radio waves if they learn this as a form of communication. And even then it's limited to perhaps a hundred or so of your closest neighbors

edit on 10/14/16 by dragonridr because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2016 @ 09:25 AM
link   
a reply to: dragonridr

People have said so many things are impossible including that matter is made of tiny moving parts and not solid.

Or that the earth is round.

Most likely if something could priduce energy like this we would be on the caveman spectrum of knowledge. Its a pretty big claim to say an astronomer with a history of publication and peer review lacks critical thinking.

Sure its very possible he is wrong. Pretty sure he isnt stating anyrhing by fact.

And no radio waves will not continue to be the best form of communication. Maybe they use stars to communicate if the were advanced they surely would know the limitations of radio waves and loom for another way.

posted on Oct, 14 2016 @ 11:25 AM
link   
a reply to: dragonridr

Your over thinking it..... it's not about a form of ftl communications. It is more like a beacon generated by ETI to make us aware that they exist or have existed.

They would most likely use their own star or nearby stars as a beacon.

And of those 234 stars (beacons) are similar to the sun!

posted on Oct, 14 2016 @ 03:09 PM
link   
I'm surprised no one has thought about this, reminds me of HAARP stimulating the ionosphere. What if ET is using stars to alter brainwave activity, modulating star light could be used for brainwave trances to it's inhabitants.

In the 17th century - French psychologist Pierre Janet used flickering lights to reduce hysteria for hospital patients. 1876 - Seth Pancoast utilized red light to stimulate the nervous system.

could be used for population control etc.
ETI mind control?

posted on Oct, 14 2016 @ 03:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: projectvxn
This is my favorite thread of all time here and it deserves far more attention than its getting.

Looks like they're getting some attention... and some criticism:

Astronomy Magazine: Be extraordinarily cautious about the newest alien claim

“Apparently several — more than three or four — referees have been disinclined to see this published. I am quite skeptical, in particular of the data processing that can take spectrally sampled data, and infer time variations. So I’d be a little careful.” (Seth Shostak, senior astronomer at the SETI Institute)

“Punch line is that this is interesting but needs to be followed up on other facilities, which we will be doing with Breakthrough Listen” (Andrew Siemion, director of SETI Berkeley)

The SETI protocol holds that researchers should seek confirmation prior to publishing. In this case, it was the other way around. But with the astronomy community now being engaged, I guess we'll soon know more!

edit on 14-10-2016 by jeep3r because: text

posted on Oct, 14 2016 @ 04:15 PM
link   

The SETI protocol holds that researchers should seek confirmation prior to publishing. In this case, it was the other way around. But with the astronomy community now being engaged, I guess we'll soon know more!

Maybe a case of an astronomer getting a little too excited before confirming his data. Not to say his data is bunk, but always confirm.

The abstract did say that further observations are needed.

posted on Oct, 14 2016 @ 05:05 PM
link   

Whatever the case, the pre-print is out and the paper is accepted for publication. With the Breakthrough Listen project involved (and possibly others) there are three possible outcomes:

1. The signals will be confirmed and turn out to be artificial (a kind of beacon created by ETI)
2. The data is confirmed but the signal spikes are due to a natural (possibly unknown) process
3. They were wrong and the signal spikes are artifacts of technical nature related to the applied methods (which Borra/Trottier rule out, but others obviously not)

I'm unsure as to which outcome I should anticipate, but it would IMO be surprising if the scientific community would prove them wrong based on their methodology.

Time will tell. At least their paper got some of their peers interested in further investigations...

posted on Oct, 14 2016 @ 05:10 PM
link   

Scientific endeavor is never set in stone.

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't excited or almost giddy at the idea of these turning out to be the genuine article.

I would be disappointed otherwise, but I would accept the results either way.

posted on Oct, 15 2016 @ 03:04 AM
link   

So this is what's going to happen next:

The ​Berkeley SETI Research Center​ (BSRC) team has added several stars from the Borra and Trottier sample to the​ Breakthrough Listen ​observing queue on the 2.4-meter ​ Automated Planet Finder​ (APF) optical telescope.

The capabilities of the APF spectrograph are well matched to those of the original detection, and these independent follow-up observations will enable us to verify or refute the reported detections. We look forward to consulting with Professor Borra and his team on these observations, as well as additional follow up investigations using other data sources.

Source

On the Rio Scale, introduced in 2002 by the international SETI community, the signals are currently in the level one category (insignificant). However, they seem to be significant enough to announce follow-up investigations.

Let's hope the observing queue at APF is not too long, so that we can expect some results soon.

edit on 15-10-2016 by jeep3r because: fixed link

posted on Oct, 15 2016 @ 04:03 AM
link   
I think the interesting subtext to this is that there are only 200 or so stars with this type of spike.

It's not clear to me where in the universe all these stars are situated. If they are close together, that being a relative term in astronomical distances, that would suggest that this is some kind of 'intranet', with the signals going round between star systems via a common method. This in turn suggests a very large civilisation has invented it as a way of communicating with/between its outposts.

If on the other hand these stars are too far apart for this to be a feasible way of communicating between them, then that suggests that the same theory and practice has arisen in scores of separate civilisations, independently of each other.

The implications of either are even more amazing than the detection of the spikes themselves.

Or, you know, it's all just some natural phenomenon that we don't understand yet. Which let's be honest it probably is. But not definitely.

posted on Oct, 15 2016 @ 06:44 AM
link   
Taking a look through the SDDS website, I came across this most mind boggling short video that I thought was well worth sharing.
Each of these specs, resembling dust particles are in fact huge Galaxies.

To think that life doesn't exist anywhere else, except here on EARTH just seems so backward thinking.

Take a look.

posted on Oct, 15 2016 @ 11:07 PM
link   
a reply to: studio500

Big!

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join