It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Has anyone heard of "Asgardia"?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 12 2016 @ 01:55 PM
link   

During a press conference on Wednesday, an international team of experts came together to announce a new project called Asgardia — a proposal to build the first ever nation in outer space. The proposal calls for using Asgardia not simply as a platform for people to live and work in space, but to specifically aid the mining of asteroids and the defense of Earth from meteorites, space debris, and whatever else might pose a threat to human here on the ground. “Asgardia is a fully-fledged and independent nation, and a future member of the United Nations — with all the attributes this status entails,” said Igor Ashurbeyli , a Russian scientist and businessman who founded the Asgardia project. “The essence of Asgardia is peace in space and the prevention of Earth’s conflicts being transferred into space.” Now, what exactly Asgardia is supposed to look like in its final iteration is still very unclear. But in the short run, the project calls for launching a prototype satellite in Fall 2017 (to coincide with the 60th anniversary of Sputnik’s launch) and rapidly move forward with building and launching a permanent operational space station which would act as a full, legalized nation state in Earth’s orbit.

www.inverse.com...

They have a website up at:
asgardia.space...

If this proves to be legit it is a fascinating concept. I apologize if this has been posted previously I did a search before and came up empty handed. Does anyone have additional insight of this?

posted on Oct, 12 2016 @ 02:11 PM
link   
a reply to: TheGozerian

An interesting Website, i noticed the eye of Ra on the cover picture of their site.
Wouldn't mind though looking into this a bit more, haven't heard of this one.

posted on Oct, 12 2016 @ 02:23 PM
link   
I find the concept fascinating,thank you for an interesting topic for my mind to ponder.

To meander down that path,

Any habitable artificial object in orbit would have the right to be claimed as sovereign.

Or to go further, any habitable Artificial object in space...

Interesting times we live in no doubt about that.

Great thread thank you OP.

~meathead

posted on Oct, 12 2016 @ 02:23 PM
link   

I'm in let's do it, would love to live and work in a space station

posted on Oct, 12 2016 @ 02:31 PM
link   
looks like promo for a new movie or TV series

Edit: scrap that, the UK media think its real. Sort off. Not entirely convinced, though.

www.theguardian.com...
edit on 12-10-2016 by AndyMayhew because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2016 @ 02:37 PM
link   
The idea of a colony in space is an old one, but a good one.

But as an independent nation? Many of the nations here on terra firma would have issue with that--big time.

An independent nation who, if they're pissed off at you, can drop rocks on you, while being essentially untouchable. An independent nation with the ultimate in high ground.

posted on Oct, 12 2016 @ 02:40 PM
link   
Not sure the nations of earth would be comfortable with such a notion. Gives a whole new meaning to weaponizing space. Worse yet, they'd have the 'upper' hand.

posted on Oct, 12 2016 @ 03:42 PM
link   
Isn't that the name of Thor's home world?

posted on Oct, 12 2016 @ 04:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: PeachesNCream
Isn't that the name of Thor's home world?

Waves hello @ the ODINITES

Asgardia, sounds like Asgard

In Norse religion, Asgard (Old Norse: ''Ásgarðr''; "Enclosure of the Æsir"[1]) is one of the Nine Worlds and home to the Æsir tribe of gods. It is surrounded by an incomplete wall attributed to a Hrimthurs riding the stallion Svaðilfari, according to Gylfaginning. Odin and his wife, Frigg, are the rulers of Asgard.

en.m.wikipedia.org...

edit on 10/12/16 by Ophiuchus 13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2016 @ 06:13 PM
link   
As long as its a place without religion I'm all for it.

posted on Oct, 12 2016 @ 08:11 PM
link   

I've never heard of it, but I have heard of Asgard:

Interesting name...

posted on Oct, 12 2016 @ 08:16 PM
link   
Huh. I signed up and joined, thinking I'd get to live on a space station, but it was just an email list, I think. Still, they need a flag, insignia, and an anthem. Maybe I'll write an anthem, or just send them Magma's entire catalog and let them choose a tune.

So, are there any vexillographers out there?

posted on Oct, 13 2016 @ 05:56 AM
link   

looks like a hoax to me...and where is material of the press conference...nice concept though........

posted on Oct, 13 2016 @ 06:06 AM
link   
Maybe it's gonna be a movie.

new topics

top topics

join