It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Samsung Sends Fireproof Boxes and Safety Gloves to Return Note 7s

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 12 2016 @ 01:34 PM
link   
CNN

The kit comes with a static shielding bag for the phone, which is then placed into a small box. That package then goes into a slightly bigger box, and ultimately a shipping box, before it's returned. The outermost box is lined with ceramic fiber paper designed to handle and contain extreme heat.

It also MUST be ground transport, they cannot be returned via air mail.

I can't believe they managed to create such a dangerous phone. I knew it was bad, but not this bad.

posted on Oct, 12 2016 @ 01:49 PM
link   
LOL, that's pretty funny.

Steps to returning your samsung phone

1. Clean your surroundings of any flammable items like paper, trash or combustible fluids.
2. If available, have a friend assist by standing 3-4 feet away with a fire extinguisher.
3. Using a hose, or other water source, lightly dampen your working surface and surrounding area.
4. Use safety equipment provided in return kit, we also recommend added items such as fireproof blankets be worn if available.
5. Slowly pick up the phone with screen facing upward, parallel to floor. Do not tilt phone more than 15 degrees from parallel.*1
6. Place phone into explosion proof bag, immediately seal bag.
7. Place bag in metal container provided.
8. Place the "warning:explosives" sticker onto outside of container.
9. Wrap metal container in blast proof wrapping provided.
10. Place into prepaid box and immediately take to parcel drop off location, do not stop for any reason, go directly to dropoff.

*1 A prayer from your religion of choice may be chanted by present parties during this step. While this is optional, Samsung feels that this step will help with the return process.
edit on 12-10-2016 by MisterSpock because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2016 @ 01:50 PM
link   
Wow.

That is insane.

How'd they manage to get these phones out of the factory if the situation was this bad?

I'm thinking they rushed this just to compete with the Iphone. Now its biting them in the ass.

Take note other companies. This is NOT how you win in the market place.

posted on Oct, 12 2016 @ 02:02 PM
link   
a reply to: projectvxn

First they thought it was just the battery. So they recalled once and sourced batteries from somewhere else and the replacements started catching on fire as well.

So, ya, something else they rushed.

posted on Oct, 12 2016 @ 02:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: MisterSpock
LOL, that's pretty funny.

Steps to returning your samsung phone

1. Clean your surroundings of any flammable items like paper, trash or combustible fluids.
2. If available, have a friend assist by standing 3-4 feet away with a fire extinguisher.
3. Using a hose, or other water source, lightly dampen your working surface and surrounding area.
4. Use safety equipment provided in return kit, we also recommend added items such as fireproof blankets be worn if available.
5. Slowly pick up the phone with screen facing upward, parallel to floor. Do not tilt phone more than 15 degrees from parallel.*1
6. Place phone into explosion proof bag, immediately seal bag.
7. Place bag in metal container provided.
8. Place the "warning:explosives" sticker onto outside of container.
9. Wrap metal container in blast proof wrapping provided.
10. Place into prepaid box and immediately take to parcel drop off location, do not stop for any reason, go directly to dropoff.

*1 A prayer from your religion of choice may be chanted by present parties during this step. While this is optional, Samsung feels that this step will help with the return process.

Im surprised this is so vague considering this is going to the states as well (well known for sueing for everything and anything to do with a product)

I wonder how samsung will take this massive issue in their tech, because their track record is pretty damned good. It would be a shame for this company to be too badly effected by this. Jesus, am i actually a samsung fan!? haha.

posted on Oct, 12 2016 @ 02:05 PM
link   
a reply to: reldra

I think it was a safe assumption so say that the batteries were the cause. That was my first thought as it isn't the first time I've seen batteries catch fire. They are going to have a lot of explaining to do on this one.

If they haven't already started, I'm sure the lawsuits are forthcoming and rightly so. This has negligence written all over it.

posted on Oct, 12 2016 @ 02:37 PM
link   
It is either the batteries OR there is a component in the phone that is over taxing the battery. I wonder if maybe the specs are somehow misaligned. Engineers think they need say X discharge rate, but the components really need a higher Y discharge rate. However, batteries are spec'd for X.

I race electric 1/8th & 1/10 scale RC cars. LIPO or the various other forms of Lithium batteries can be volatile if not properly spec'd. Every now and then, we'd have cars going "nuclear" at the track because the batteries couldn't take the load the electronic speed controls and motors were demanding. The batteries would often "puff" or expand under the stresses. Worst case is a fireball.

posted on Oct, 12 2016 @ 02:56 PM
link   
The problem lies with the design of the battery itself. The edges of it are curved, and when subjected to typical thermal expansion (from charging, etc.), the cells within the battery press against the curved edges and are bent. In some cases, this leads to the cells coming into contact with each other, which leads to thermal runaway and explosion.

To combat this, after the first recall, they lowered the mv in the kernel from 4.35 to 4.30, hoping that would be enough to prevent any further issues. It wasn't.

edit:

mobile.twitter.com...
edit on 10/12/2016 by AdmireTheDistance because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2016 @ 05:47 PM
link   
I wonder why there wasn't this much hype when Apple phones exploded many times over several different models, long before all this. iPhone 3, 4, 5, and 6 all have cases of blowing up. You hear it on the news, but it's like the Apple fanboys are the type to ignore it, but when it happens to their rival they are the first to hype it up.
edit on 12-10-2016 by WeAre0ne because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2016 @ 05:50 PM
link   
a reply to: AdmireTheDistance

If its from thermal expansion, then the problem would still exist if your phone was subject to heat, no matter how long or how fast you charged the battery. An extensive use of the CPU on the phone, or a hot summer day, would cause the entire phone to heat and expand the battery.

posted on Oct, 12 2016 @ 06:55 PM
link   
I didn't know the recall was so involved!

Thermal runaway is not good. Also leads to over inductance on tiny wires that then melt, which can cause other chemical reactions adding to the original problem... especially in the cargo hold of an airplane. No wonder it is ground transport return only.

A graphene layer would help but a graphene battery would be better. Some student just made a flexible battery using carbon nanotubes, ATS link, where I also pointed out the phone recall. Samsung should go offer that guy a job!

posted on Oct, 12 2016 @ 09:50 PM
link   
And this is what you get when you keep making your batteries smaller and your phones bigger.

This non user replaceable battery phenomenon must be stopped- bring back replaceable batteries!

(rocking a note 3 with a 10,000mah battery here- 2.5 years without a problem and counting. Including smashing a phone, then moving the battery to a replacement and drowning that one, onto my third note3...)

Three years old and I bet my battery life is still better than the new units.

I'm glad they're catching fire.

posted on Oct, 12 2016 @ 09:52 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 12 2016 @ 10:16 PM
link   
Here's the return packaging:

edit on 10/12/2016 by AdmireTheDistance because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2016 @ 11:38 PM
link   
These are the sorts of nightmares that design engineers have.

Most people won't touch lithium-poly designs. The number of people with the nads to write charger algorithms for them is low as well, it's a reason there are only a few canned parts and fewer programmable ones.

posted on Oct, 18 2016 @ 09:29 PM
link   
a reply to: reldra
are these phones water restistant maybe the are overheating because they have no vents to cool off phone insides. i have no idea about how it works but every fone i have had gets pretty hot if it isn't getting proper ventilation i have had a few i had to pop open and remove battery they were getting so hot. fones i have had black berries , lgs , htc evos, galaxy 3 4,and 6

new topics

top topics

join