It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

T-X partnership hits 11th hour snag

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 12 2016 @ 10:04 AM
link   
With the T-X RFP set top drop in December, Raytheon and Leonardo have had an 11th hour snag hit their partnership. Neither side has disclosed exactly what the problem is, but it's believed it relates to division of labor. Raytheon is set to do final assembly, with Leonardo supplying the airframes. Honeywell will provide F124 engines for the aircraft.

Under the original partnership, Leonardo was paired with General Dynamics to offer the M346, designated the T-100. General Dynamics withdrew from the competition last year, with Raytheon stepping in to take their place.

m.aviationweek.com...

posted on Oct, 12 2016 @ 04:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

I'm betting on workshare as the article speculates. Raytheon may be trying to leverage its 'US Partner" status to force better terms from Lenardo. Without a US prime, the entry would face significant political hurdles, even if as the article states about 50% of the airframe is US produced

posted on Oct, 12 2016 @ 04:59 PM
link   
a reply to: FredT

That seems to be the big reason partnerships like this fall apart.

posted on Oct, 12 2016 @ 07:26 PM
link   

Thanks for posting some juicy aviation drama. The reader responses and comments at the bottom are pretty thought provoking as well.

posted on Oct, 13 2016 @ 04:11 AM
link   
It's a waste of time. Congress will never buy a jet trainer with Russian DNA. It's a Yak. It may have some different innards but I doubt the AF or Congress would want to see our pilots flying the same trainer as the RuAF. Boeing, Northrop, and Lockheed all have better offerings. I just don't see how they possibly think they can compete.. It's a waste of time. It's almost the same as the Hawk really. Useless for F-22/35 training.

posted on Oct, 16 2016 @ 02:21 PM
link   

If I recall we were supposed to see boeings design in september. What happened to that. It might not have been boeing. I know we got a glimpse of Northrops.

posted on Oct, 16 2016 @ 02:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Crumbles

They had the formal rollout September 16th.

www.boeing.com...

posted on Oct, 16 2016 @ 02:45 PM
link   
They should have gone with Boeing-Saab, This beauty looks like she supercrusing standing still.

This mistake reminds me of the YF-23! A superior air frame, and platform, in every direction.

I know it's a sim but it's still nice.

edit on V042016Sundaypm31America/ChicagoSun, 16 Oct 2016 15:04:29 -05001 by Violater1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2016 @ 02:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Violater1

The RFP won't even be issued until December, with selection next year.

posted on Oct, 16 2016 @ 08:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Violater1

The YF-23 was one of kind. That one is a beauty, but not quite on par.

posted on Oct, 16 2016 @ 09:08 PM
link   
The players:

Raytheon/Leonardo T-100:

Lockheed/KAI T-50A:

Northrop:

Boeing:

posted on Oct, 16 2016 @ 11:07 PM
link   

So now that Boeing's shown off their Gripen-with-an-F/A-18-bodykit, is Northrop ever going to officially do a presser for their entry?

I'm dying to see what the planform looks like from above/below.

posted on Oct, 17 2016 @ 02:48 AM
link   

One of these looks like a great strike platform.

posted on Oct, 17 2016 @ 04:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: aholic

One of these looks like a great strike platform.

Boeing all the way, its got hard points written all over it, I would imagine it would not be too much to beef up the legs for a carrier variant too and that long nose looks set for advanced radar. I dont really know what I am talking about but if made en masse as a lightweight multi role aircraft, it might be OK for CAS - it could carry a few Hellfire and SDBs and a Centerline gun pod.
edit on 17 10 2016 by Forensick because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2016 @ 08:45 AM
link   
The dispute involved who was the senior partner, what work would be done where, and general language difficulties. It was resolved late last week sources say. They're looking at possibly splitting the two aircraft (M346 and T-100) in the export market, and allowing Raytheon to build the T-100 in the US while Leonardo would build the M346.

www.defensenews.com...

posted on Oct, 24 2016 @ 12:26 PM
link   
Raytheon and Leonardo announced they will build the T-100 FACO in Meridian Mississippi.

www.combataircraft.net...

top topics

join