It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Expensive looking Christmas gift ideas for a few bucks....

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 12 2016 @ 05:40 AM
link   
What I realized is that more often than not people waste so much money on expensive Christmas gifts. I guess if you can afford it, why not. But even then you can literally waste so much money. Christmas has gotten so expensive. Like I bought nice looking gifts on the cheap and still I blew a ton. I think I'm buying for 10 people so It still came to nearly 100 bucks. But for the 10 bucks each the gifts are pretty good. Like I found a site: ioffer , now I"m not promoting it or anything. I'm just saying there's "really good deals" to be found on there, if you're okay with knock off stuff. Personally I'd way rather buy a knock off than an original. I just can't justify the mark up. Like most people don't understand that an average product bought at a retailer in a mall has such a giant mark up. And if it's say a louse Vitton then you're mark up could be easily 1 million % mark up. That wallet costs 50 cents to make. Then they sell it for 50,000. that like 1 million % mark up. That's sick! Like how can they get away with that??? Anyway, do you have any cheap christmas gift ideas?

edit on 12-10-2016 by bigpatato because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2016 @ 05:58 AM
link   
a reply to: bigpatato

Instead of supporting the "knock off" industry, which often uses human slave labour to produce its goods, just tell your family and friends you won't be participating in gift giving this year. Lots of people do this. Own your choices.

posted on Oct, 12 2016 @ 06:02 AM
link   
I know how to give great gifts and make everyone happy. I just give money. Seriously. My kids would rather pick what they need or want and still have a bit left over to get other stuff later.
edit on 12-10-2016 by DAVID64 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2016 @ 06:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: bigpatato
And if it's say a louse Vitton then you're mark up could be easily 1 million % mark up. That wallet costs 50 cents to make. Then they sell it for 50,000.

I have never seen a $50,000 Louis Vuitton wallet. Where can I get one?

posted on Oct, 12 2016 @ 06:16 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

I think you'd have to go with an Hermès.

posted on Oct, 12 2016 @ 06:16 AM
link   

That wallet costs 50 cents to make. Then they sell it for 50,000. that like 1 million % mark up.

Your math is a bit off there sport.
edit on 12102016 by TerryDon79 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2016 @ 06:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: Atsbhct

I prefer Italian luxury goods designers but I suppose I can make an exception to be the first on my block with a wallet that costs as much as a BMW.

posted on Oct, 12 2016 @ 06:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

I prefer Italian luxury goods designers...

Aren't you from New Jersey? I find this stereotypically appropriate. Don't worry about leaving your luxury goods comfort zone to become part of the one million percent mark up club.

posted on Oct, 12 2016 @ 06:23 AM
link   

Aren't you from New Jersey? I find this stereotypically appropriate.

I am, but I'm also Italian, so there's that.

Don't worry about leaving your luxury goods comfort zone to become part of the one million percent mark up club.

I am willing to get uncomfortable to become more comfortable.

posted on Oct, 12 2016 @ 06:24 AM
link   
a reply to: Atsbhct

Or the hundred thousand percent mark up club. But what's a 0 between friends?

posted on Oct, 12 2016 @ 06:27 AM
link   
a reply to: TerryDon79

Honestly, it just assures other luxury goods lovers of your willingness to spend.

posted on Oct, 12 2016 @ 06:30 AM
link   

Honestly, it just assures other luxury goods lovers of your willingness to spend.

That's fine.

More luxury goods the better, I say.

posted on Oct, 12 2016 @ 06:34 AM
link   
The idea of giving someone a gift is to show you care, not to show how much money you are willing to spend on the gift. I appreciate small well thought out gifts more than something expensive. Because those things that I "need" that are expensive, I´d rather choose it for myself, the type and model so I know what I get and most of the times 1/3 cheaper for more bang of the buck than the random choosen thing they saw at last minute.

Things that show me someone is interested in my life.For example I collect knifes. It doesn´t have to be expensive, the good quality ones I´ll buy myself. But if someone brings me a knife and even went to look at my collection or know that certain knife, I don´t have a similar one and they buy it as a gift. It can be worth 2€, if it is well thought out, I appreciate that more.

It´s not about the value, it´s the thought behind it. I feel with the question the title asks, this may have been lost somewhere on the road.

edit on 12-10-2016 by verschickter because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2016 @ 06:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: bigpatato
Like I found a site: ioffer , now I"m not promoting it or anything. I'm just saying there's "really good deals" to be found on there, if you're okay with knock off stuff. Personally I'd way rather buy a knock off than an original.

I just checked out that site. I searched the designer that I frequent and, other than possibly the fragrances, they are all fakes. And not even good ones.

I guess if you want to the be the person whose gifts say, 'I thought so much of you I gave you this s****y Italian designer obvious knock off', that is the site for you.

posted on Oct, 12 2016 @ 06:43 AM
link   

To be honest, this scenario... It´s like, "look I pretend to give you something expensive but we both know it´s faked and bad quality and you´ll make yourself an idiot wearing those "addidoss" or "pauma" sneakers I bought for 10€."

No thanks, better be straight up and tell he/she is not able to buy gifts. Could be I´ll value to honesty with a broad will to help you out of your situation. Again, honesty wins everytime. Because in the upper scenario, it´s wasted money and sad if there is the feeling to "need to buy gifts". That would make me shake my head and somehow, disapointing that the one does not know me that good that I´ll be sad if I hear he gave his last 10€ because the one thought he has to pleasure me. Bring a smile it´s enough. None of my friendships started because of a gift, why would I end it / be mad because there is no gift?
edit on 12-10-2016 by verschickter because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2016 @ 06:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: verschickter
No thanks, better be straight up and tell me you´re not able to buy gifts. Again, honesty wins everytime.

Or maybe write them a nice card on actual stationary or make something small and unique yourself.

If you are going to go the anti-consumerist route shopping at a site that peddles cheap luxury good knock offs is actually being very consumerist.

posted on Oct, 12 2016 @ 06:46 AM
link   
a reply to: verschickter

I wouldn't turn my nose up at a porch 911 or a Merksedes Cola M K.

posted on Oct, 12 2016 @ 06:50 AM
link   
You know? One of the most useful things I ever gave my mom and my sister was a spiral wrap of just general twist tie. I found it in the aisle of the grocery store and gave it as a stocking stuffer. They both constantly remark on how useful that was to have years later.

It isn't the expense. Sometimes, the most seemingly innocuous things can turn out to be the best things you give.

posted on Oct, 12 2016 @ 06:54 AM
link   

A friend posted this and I think it's a good idea. A win/win for everyone, IMO.

When all 5 of my kiddos were at home, one needed to think outside the box so as to not wind up paying for items all year that would not be enjoyed or used. In my case, with teenagers, money was a good option with one or two individualized gifts just so I could enjoy watching them open them.

There is a local winery that is really quite good for the older folks in my circle's gifts. There are some very talented local craftsman in my area so purchasing interesting/unique items isn't difficult.

posted on Oct, 12 2016 @ 06:58 AM
link   
I edited my post while you wrote yours but it basically stayed the same, just so you know.

It has not to do with "good enough for me". It has to do with the fact that someone thinks he needs to impress me with a, on the first look, expensive thing, when it really isn´t. That shows they think I expect it and would mean they don´t really know me. And in your example... No way ever I would sit into one of those faked luxus car death traps that some indian garage guy glued together with styrofoam and a glue gun. If someone came up with that I´d seriously ask them if they are insane for a) coming up with such a (still) expensive thing b)they want to kill me.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join