It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Constantine

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 11:35 AM
link   
Right well I saw this over the weekend and I posted this in another thread but it rightfully belongs here really so here you go...

If you want to see a 90 minute anti-smoking campaign go see Constantine.

Nah, other than some obvious and very bad studio advised statements against smoking it's quite a good film (although it doesn't touch the comic). I really like the religious legends that come to life in it...I'm not religious personally but I still love the mythology in it. I thought Gabriel and Satan were represented really well in the film.

However, to see the character of Constantine that they've built the entire film sold out at the end for the sake of a statement about smoking was about the most dispicable and vomit-inducing thing I've ever seen on screen.

I'd like to add that Keanu is pretty good in it, he could NEVER live up to the John Constantine of the comics but he actually puts over his own version of the sarcasm pretty well...put it this way I didn't hate him.

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 11:37 AM
link   
I've never read Hellblazer. Will that make the movie better or worse for me?

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 11:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Umbrax
I've never read Hellblazer. Will that make the movie better or worse for me?

Both ways actually. Good in that you wont be weighing up everything you see against everything in the comics, because then you will surely be let down.

Bad (but also good) in that the film literally drops you in the world of Constantine and it expects the audience to catch up with characters and events rather than trying to have everything explained to them (only briefly). No one who's never read the comics has had a problem with that though, and it's great for those already in the know to not have to sit through 50 mins of slow origin story.

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 11:49 AM
link   
I saw it and it wasnt to bad.

I wasnt the greatest movie ever made but it was worth 10 bucks for me and my wife to while away an afternoon.

The effects were good and the story line wasnt to bad.

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 01:47 AM
link   
Excellent movie. The storyline kept me on edge even though there were a few low points. The exorcism at the beginning was just crazy. Keanu definitely did a stellar job in this movie. Yes he wasnt the "John" in Hellblazer but he still did a great job overall. The special effects were good and not too over the top. I do have to go see it again since I wasnt able to stay till the credits were done.

posted on Mar, 20 2005 @ 10:44 PM
link   
Hellblazer comics were great when I read them, the movie is really good as well. I think this movie took a few leaps other Hollywood movies were afraid to make like with the R rating and all the gore and violence for it being a comic based movie. It worked out well though, more movies should try and be like this.

posted on Mar, 20 2005 @ 11:26 PM
link   
I saw Constantine the day after it came out. I really enjoyed it. I haven't read the comics so I have no idea how faithful it was to them, although apparently the comics took place in England, so not very. It was certainly the best movie I've seen in awhile. Best of all, my buddy had free tickets so I didn't even have to pay muhahahahahaha I'd watch it again when it comes on the movie channels.

posted on Mar, 22 2005 @ 04:35 AM
link   
After the success of the matrix trilolgy it had come to my attention that keanu has gone for another,shall we say "wierd", role. dont get me wrong-there is nothing wrong with this- in fact i think that it suits him. as an actor he is able to be very convincing with this sort of role. it is cool to see some good acting these trobled days of "Hollywood" movies that surround us.

posted on Apr, 13 2005 @ 08:51 AM
link   
went to see this film last friday with a few of my mates. slight problem tho car broke down, had to hitch a ride, we were late so we went bowling instead. oh well first legal drink so it wasnt all that bad.:w:

posted on Apr, 18 2005 @ 12:37 AM
link   
Keanu's performance was well, pathetic. However, the movie still blew me away. If you have never read "Hellblazer" the comic book and you follow some theology then this movie is excellent. Anyone who thought the movie sucked overall was because there was A LOT of mythology as well as theology in it. I grew up Roman Catholic and also have done tons of reading involving religious theology. I knew what the "Spear of Destiny" was and the history behind it, why people "go to hell" when they commit suicide, and the battles between good and evil. The anti-smoking propaganda was a little much, but still thought the ending was cute. Gabriel was fantastic though as well as Lucifer. I thought all in all this movie deserved better reviews than it received and will be added to my video collection one day.

<< 1   >>

join