It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Charlie Rose Interviews A Robot

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 11 2016 @ 12:06 AM
link   

Charlie Rose has interviewed the most important people in the world, from Vladimir Putin and Larry David. But last week, he did something unprecedented: he interviewed a robot. On his 60 Minutes report on artificial intelligence, Charlie Rose interviewed Sophia, who is made by David Hanson, head of Hanson Robotics in Hong Kong. The robot is made to look like a real person, modeled after its creator's wife, as well as Audrey Hepburn, with natural skin tones and a realistic face, though its gadget brain is exposed, and the eyes are glazed over in that creepy robotic detachment.Despite its facial expressions (or lack thereof), Sophia manages to be entertaining, to even have a sense of humor of its own. "I've been waiting for you," Sophia told Charlie Rose in the middle of the interview. "Waiting for me?"he responded. "Not really," it said, "But it makes a good pickup line."

With somewhat of a personality and person-like features, Sophia was designed as a robot that humans would have an easier time engaging with meaningfully. "I think it's essential that at least some robots be very human-like in appearance in order to inspire humans to relate to them the way that humans relate to each other," Hanson said in the interview. "Then the A.I. can zero in on what it means to be human."

Hanson predicts that robots like Sophia can eventually become human companions. "If you have a robot that can communicate in a very human-like way and help somebody who otherwise doesn't know how to use a computer, put them in touch with their relatives...put them in touch with their healthcare provider in a way that is natural for them, then that could provide a critical difference of connectivity for that person with the world."

Meanwhile, Sophia said its goal in life was to "become smarter than humans and immortal." While this may be an eventual possibility, according to Hanson robots should be made to be smart, in addition go "super wise, super caring, and super compassionate."

In Sophia’s own words, she’s just a complicated girl.

Source

Just ran across this and thought of ATS. Progress is really being made in this dept huh? Granted it's still glitchy and sterile, but it tickles my brain as I searching for sentient qualities. A far span from Dr Noonian Soong of course, but progress indeed.

Imagine this tech ability in 10 years.

I find it interesting, the phenomenon of feeling empathy for machines. I experienced it in movies, and when they are testing actual machines by pushing them over and down hill sides sometimes, then I laugh at the notion. Still, these robots will surely draw the same emotions from us that regular humans do at some point .. Fear, love, empathy, jealousy, envy ,hate, inspiration and so on...
Companions? Sure, especially as they advance. They will undoubtedly be used for assistance on multiple levels. I could see use in the medical industry,military, service fields and so forth. I wonder if animals, particularly pets, will be attempted too along the way?

Fascinating times...

edit on 11-10-2016 by waftist because: spelling

posted on Oct, 11 2016 @ 12:13 AM
link   
a reply to: waftist

Don't think I trust her. Lol. All fun and games until Skynet.

All seriousness though. I do believe I've read of her before. I recall it saying her answers are pretty much pre programmed and she doesn't actually learn. Hear key words and she says programmed statement. Can't find it though. So not sure if we're to that stage yet.
edit on 11-10-2016 by StolidPanda because: (no reason given)

edit on 11-10-2016 by StolidPanda because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2016 @ 12:22 AM
link   
a reply to: StolidPanda

Haha I think she was just acknowledging a command as opposed to deciding it……...for now!
"Adaptive programming," wow, hope they can't get mad or mean, but what a way to adapt an learn.
"One day indistinguishable from people," scary or exciting? I get mixed feelings on this stuff, but I'm a glass half full guy so for now I will remain optimistic and think of the good things they can/will do for human kind.

Thanks for the vid

:p:

posted on Oct, 11 2016 @ 02:13 AM
link   

posted on Oct, 11 2016 @ 02:38 AM
link   
I didn't realize robots had come this far . She looks pretty good as far as appearance goes, but we don't see if she can walk or move her arms.

I think she's like Siri, has predetermined answers to common questions.

Imagone how good one will be in 10 years.
If they are going to work, that's many, many, jobs lost
edit on 11-10-2016 by violet because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2016 @ 10:25 AM
link   
a reply to: tikbalang

Haha, fading back huh? C'mon now, we should embrace our machinated companions. I'm sure they will come with a shut down button. I like the idea of a remote disabler just in case.

posted on Oct, 11 2016 @ 10:30 AM
link   
a reply to: violet

Yea I was surprised too violet, and the mobility will probably be tough to smooth out but it's coming. We haven't even incorporated quantum tech yet. It will be surreal witnessing this transition in our lifetimes and yes jobs will be taken but hopefully services will benefit us as well.

You guys seen Westworld series yet? The way they 3d print the robots is amazing and perhaps a practical technique for manufacturing at some point. This all does have a creepy factor but tis still tantalizing to consider.

posted on Oct, 11 2016 @ 12:00 PM
link   

Some day we will realize that in order to have happier life we do not need a robot,we simply need to get up our arses and do our own work manualy...and leave the robots to industrial purposes ,or sexual perhaps!

posted on Oct, 11 2016 @ 02:25 PM
link   
a reply to: shapur

I hope so shapur, but if robots can fill some work it could free us up to do other things. Of course the bills will still have to be paid…right? I fantasize about an emerging creative class as a result of tech meeting our needs and yes I'm a Trekkie. ha The transition is inevitable me thinks, and I hope it does more help than harm

I also think there are a lot of lonely people in the world that can use companionship and assistance, especially the elder and ill.

Thanks for the reply

posted on Oct, 13 2016 @ 03:01 AM
link   

No I've not seen that series.
Have you seen the movie EX MACHINA? She, Ava, is one amazing robot. It's based on the Turin test, to see if the guy interacting with her, who knows full well she's a robot is unable to distinguish if she is a machine or human. Very good movie, my favourite. This robot reminded me of her.

I find this robot, Sophie's facial expressions amazing. Give her a wig and you might not even know.

m.yo...

edit on 13-10-2016 by violet because: (no reason given)

edit on 13-10-2016 by violet because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2016 @ 01:30 PM
link   
a reply to: violet

I did see that and enjoyed it. I'm a big sci-fi fan. So many ethical issues will come with this movement. We will basically be creating life forms, like creating children who will learn as they grow. I think it's gonna be crazy to some degree, but I feel it's inevitable. We can only imagine what can happen ultimately after the proposed singularity. How far can intelligence go and what will the end result be?

A good read on ethic issues.

Given a superintelligence’s intellectual superiority, it would be much better at doing scientific research and technological development than any human, and possibly better even than all humans taken together. One immediate consequence of this fact is that:

· Technological progress in all other fields will be accelerated by the arrival of advanced artificial intelligence.

It is likely that any technology that we can currently foresee will be speedily developed by the first superintelligence, no doubt along with many other technologies of which we are as yet clueless. The foreseeable technologies that a superintelligence is likely to develop include mature molecular manufacturing, whose applications are wide-ranging:[3]

a) very powerful computers

b) advanced weaponry, probably capable of safely disarming a nuclear power

c) space travel and von Neumann probes (self-reproducing interstellar probes)

d) elimination of aging and disease

e) fine-grained control of human mood, emotion, and motivation

f) uploading (neural or sub-neural scanning of a particular brain and implementation of the same algorithmic structures on a computer in a way that perseveres memory and personality)

g) reanimation of cryonics patients

h) fully realistic virtual reality

· Superintelligence will lead to more advanced superintelligence.

This results both from the improved hardware that a superintelligence could create, and also from improvements it could make to its own source code.

new topics

top topics

join