It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can anyone i.d. this aircraft?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 10 2016 @ 10:00 AM
link   

While doing some local history snooping, I came across this pic. Would love any info as it was my area's first fire spotting / prevention aircraft. Thanks.

posted on Oct, 10 2016 @ 10:08 AM
link   
SEE: JimNasium below for correct answer.

Curtiss model f-4 1913? Russian 🤔

www.wwiaviation.com...

Grigorivich???

Select one from the link i provided. 😊

"Russian Flying Boats 1913
Curtiss Model F
Curtiss Model F
Curtiss Model F-4 - 1913
The Curtiss Models F made up a family of early flying boats developed in the United States in the years leading up to World War I. Widely produced, Model Fs saw service with the United States Navy under the designations C-2 through C-5, later reclassified to AB-2 through AB-5. Several examples were exported to Russia, and the type was built under licence in Italy.

In configuration, these were biplane flying boats powered by a single engine mounted amongst the interplane struts and driving a pusher propeller. The pilot and a single passenger sat side-by-side in an open cockpit. The wing cellule was derived from the Model E landplane and was of two-bay, unstaggered, equal-span construction with large ailerons mounted on the interplane struts and extending past the span of the wings themselves. The earliest examples of this design were built and sold by Curtiss in 1912 without any designation applied to them; the Model F name only coming into use the following year. Confusingly, Curtiss also used the designation Model E to refer to some early machines in this family, although these were quite distinct from Curtiss landplanes that bore this same designation and all but identical to the Model Fs."~ per link
[Read more]
edit on 10-10-2016 by Bigburgh because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2016 @ 10:11 AM
link   
a reply to: Natas0114

It is here, an article all about it.. Ole Evinrude is mentioned and a pic is shown:

archive.jsonline.com...

posted on Oct, 10 2016 @ 10:14 AM
link   
a reply to: Bigburgh

Thanks for the links and info Bigburgh! Spot on. Local historians were digging through articles and saved the picture so I could scan it. They were curious of the make to see if they could find a purchase order as a few aircraft were simply listed as aeroplane/state of Wisconsin. Thanks again.

posted on Oct, 10 2016 @ 10:15 AM
link   
a reply to: JimNasium

Awesome, nailed it the first try👍

posted on Oct, 10 2016 @ 10:18 AM
link   
a reply to: JimNasium

Thanks JimNasium, apparently it made its way to my neck of the woods and landed on the iron river, and flew over the brule river where the president was visiting during a trout fishing vacation. Thanks for the link will print it out and bring to the ladies.

posted on Oct, 10 2016 @ 10:43 AM
link   
An old one.

posted on Oct, 11 2016 @ 11:53 AM
link   
A Glenn Curtiss designed craft.

It's interesting to note that Miami Springs was the home to Glenn Curtiss.

And his mansion and hunting lodge still stand in Miami Springs.

I was tempted to buy the lodge since it was for sale.

The guy was a pioneer in aviation.

en.wikipedia.org...

top topics

join