It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

POLITICS: Survey: American faithful less tolerant

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2005 @ 04:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by mwm1331
Why abstain from sex when you can be a 15 year old slut? Why respect yourself and your body enough to wait untill you are in a loving realtionship when you can *** anything in sight, male or female, and just have an abortion when the inevitable happens. Why respect the family and our children when we can murder them as they lie in the womb? Why honor your parents when you can sue them? Why teach our children to be responsible members of society, and discipline them when they are misbeahaved when we can let them do whatever they want, stuff them full of ritalin and put them in therapy instead? Why educate our children or provide for them when the government will?

You make a very compelling argument, except that you've missed one very important fact: Christians do not have a monopoly on morality. Millions of non-Christians feel the same way you do about these issues...the bible is not the only way to address them, nor is religious intolerance an acceptable or workable solution.

posted on Jan, 24 2005 @ 04:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Azeari of the Radiant Eye

You make a very compelling argument, except that you've missed one very important fact: Christians do not have a monopoly on morality. Millions of non-Christians feel the same way you do about these issues...the bible is not the only way to address them, nor is religious intolerance an acceptable or workable solution.

Except for one thing azeari, the liberal left is pushing the exact opposite of morality. Fromthe recent california "childrens privacy" laws. To the pro-choice movement. The only voice for maoraltiy in America today is the christian right. While I agree its possible to be moral without the teachings of the bible none of those in America today who do not follow the teachings of God show any evidence of morality.

posted on Jan, 24 2005 @ 04:36 AM
link   
I was starting to agree with you, mwm, until your use of the word "none". I take exception to that, and imagine many others will, too. The number of non-Christians in the US (and everywhere else) who show evidence of morality is many more than "none". The world would be a better place if that number were higher, but it certainly isn't "none."

Don't let the liberal left fool you into thinking they have more adherents than they actually have. Non-Christian doesn't automatically equal liberal left, just like Christian doesn't automatically equal loony right.

posted on Jan, 24 2005 @ 04:40 AM
link   
Azaeri I am not talking about the american people as a whole rather those in politics and the public view. Only those leaders who are of faith are willing to push anything even resembling morality.

posted on Jan, 24 2005 @ 04:42 AM
link   
The left is trying to replace the Christian tenet "love thy neighbor" with the secular notion of "tolerance." They are not the same thing.

posted on Jan, 24 2005 @ 04:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by mwm1331
Azaeri I am not talking about the american people as a whole rather those in politics and the public view. Only those leaders who are of faith are willing to push anything even resembling morality.

OK, sorry if I misread you. I don't have enough data to know for sure whether or not your assertion is true; it's clear, however, that leaders of faith (by which I presume you mean "leaders of Christian faith") are more vocal in pushing morality.

The things they're pushing for are a mixed bag, though. Some are common-sense stuff that any decent person would agree with, others are ignorant and intolerant.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join