It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

POLITICS: Survey: American faithful less tolerant

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2005 @ 03:06 PM
link   
Religious American according to a recent poll are becoming more intolerant. The poll highlighted frustration over compromises being made on such hot button issues like abortion and gay rights. The same poll also showed a growing boldness about pushing religious values even if the audience finds the message offensive.

english.aljazeera.net
Church-going Americans have grown increasingly intolerant in the past four years, according to a survey released
on Saturday.

The survey highlighted increased frustrations with politicians making compromises on such hot issues as abortion and gay rights.

At the same time, those polled said they were growing bolder about pushing their beliefs on others - even at the risk of offending someone.

The trends could indicate that religion has become "more prominent in American discourse ... more salient", according to Ruth Wooden, president of Public Agenda, a nonpartisan research organisation which released the survey.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

The poll shows the increasing importance that religion is taking in parts of America. It also as the article shows that the nation is growing more polarized as evidenced by the presidential election. Compromise in the future may not be as easy as it was in the past. It also may be why there is an ongoing debate within the Democratic party as to revising party planks to be more in line with this trend.

posted on Jan, 23 2005 @ 03:31 PM
link   
Duh! They are taught two sides, either hell or heaven. Narrow minded religious practices create narrow minded people. Tolerance never comes from narrow minds.

posted on Jan, 23 2005 @ 03:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Prince_Machiavelli
Duh! They are taught two sides, either hell or heaven. Narrow minded religious practices create narrow minded people. Tolerance never comes from narrow minds.

True, but I have still noticed a change. I was raised Baptist, and although hellfire and brimstone and all that was taught, I don't recall there being intolerance on the scale you see it today. We were of course taught that being Baptist was the "correct" thing to do, but it wasn't really pounded in. And we weren't in the habit of going out of our way to make others "wrong". (There's a lot of that happening right on this board...)

posted on Jan, 23 2005 @ 03:39 PM
link   
I don't know why, but my husband always get the religious zealots to talk to him, but for some reason never I had any of them trying to get to me, I wish I have one of them come to my face and said anything.

I guess they see something in my face and stay away.

One person told my husband that abortion clinics were taking the cells of fetuses brains and were injecting them on Alzheimer's patient as soon as the fetuse was been aborted.

I told my husband to tell him that if that is what happened to him when he was aborted and that is why he is so retarded.

I tell you I never get anybody to say something like that to me.

[edit on 23-1-2005 by marg6043]

posted on Jan, 23 2005 @ 03:47 PM
link   
Because some people will decry the use of Al Jazeera as source, here is another:

New Survey: Religious Americans Less Likely to Support Compromise; Notable Shifts in Outlook on Religion in Politics since 2000

NEW YORK, Jan. 20 /U.S. Newswire/ -- As public officials continue to wrestle with hot-button issues ranging from abortion to gay rights to the death penalty, they may find thinner ranks of Americans supporting compromise.

Those are some of the findings from a national survey by the nonprofit, nonpartisan research organization Public Agenda that compares how Americans' views of religion in public life have changed between the years 2000 and 2004. The survey (conducted before the November election) found a smaller number of Americans who believe that deeply religious elected officials sometimes have to compromise in the political arena, with major decreases among those who attend religious services weekly.

For example, in 2000, 84 percent of Americans overall said "Even elected officials who are deeply religious sometimes have to make compromises and set their convictions aside to get results while in government." In 2004, that number had dropped to 74 percent, with even sharper drops among weekly service attenders (82 percent in 2000 vs. 63 percent in 2004) and Evangelicals (79 percent in 2000 vs. 63 percent in 2004).

Tolerance

posted on Jan, 23 2005 @ 03:47 PM
link   
They take thier cues from Pat Robertson, Jerry Farwell, and other dumb dumbs. Those two alone try to divide people. Pat Robertson tries to get people to call Congressmen to change the Supreme Court. They are tools of political parties.

posted on Jan, 23 2005 @ 03:51 PM
link   
Scary results but sadly not that big of a surpise. Look at how hardline religious zealots terrified of Gay Marriage came out and handed over their votes to Bush because of his stance. I would like to say the same attitudes shown by those polled dont permeate our government, but its rife with the same line of thinking and will only get worse. Maybe the 2004 campaign song for the GOP should have been "one step forward and two steps back" as that seems to the be the effect of their platform on our goverment and society.

posted on Jan, 23 2005 @ 04:16 PM
link   
Here's the link to the actual results, I know none of you bothered to look at it, and most likely had your replies typed upon reading the headline:
www.publicagenda.org...

That's the actual results - much of the differences are within the +/-3 margin of error. In the previous poll, there was one-percent more agnostic/atheist/non religious. That would tend to skew the results a percentage point too, wouldn't you say? Also, If you look at the fact that only 26 percent of people responding consider themselves "evangelical", a one-percent increase from the year before, things really aren't starkley different. A couple of the issues are a quite a bit higher, but not many. And with statements like this:

I told my husband to tell him that if that is what happened to him when he was aborted and that is why he is so retarded

the accepted norm, no wonder Christians are starting to get bristly. I haven't been to church in ten years and would be hardly considered "practicing" but some of this misleading, generalising, in its own way intolerant crap is getting on my nerves.

posted on Jan, 23 2005 @ 04:27 PM
link   
Turn the coin over and tell me that the pro-choice, pro-gay marriage crowd have become more tolerant of opposing viewpoints? Do they not also " try to get people to call Congressmen to change the Supreme Court. They are tools of political parties"?

I don't care if you're gay and want an abortion. But don't try to paint one side as intolerant when both sides are equally intolerant.

posted on Jan, 23 2005 @ 04:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by PistolPete
norm, no wonder Christians are starting to get bristly. I haven't been to church in ten years and would be hardly considered "practicing" but some of this misleading, generalising, in its own way intolerant crap is getting on my nerves.

What !!!!!! you don't like my answer? You tell me a thing like that man told my husband and you will get and answer just like the one above.

Ignorant people tell ignorant tales.

posted on Jan, 23 2005 @ 04:50 PM
link   
I was raised Baptist, but I have not stepped in a Church in over 17 years. I stopped going because it got too expensive.
But to blame intolerence on religion is ridiculous. I am tolerent because I am for "life". I am also tolerent because I believe no one deserves "special rights".

Intolerence is wanting to kill a baby for selfish reasons.

Intolerence is wanting gay people to have the right to get married, but not allowing someone to marry their dog, or to marry more than one person.

posted on Jan, 23 2005 @ 05:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky
But don't try to paint one side as intolerant when both sides are equally intolerant.

Not really. If the religious fascists would accept that they can't control everyone based on their beliefs then others would be more tolerant of them. They want to tell people they can't play the lotto because it against the Bible when it would help education and so many other things. Take for example, Oklahoma. Teachers are in the top five of lowest paid teachers in the nation, and they are in the top ten of educational statistics. They're pay is due to a corrupt former Governor, Frank Keating, and lack of economic strength to support all the other budget costs including education. 9 years ago, if the lottery had been voted on and won, then our teachers wouldn't be moving to Texas, Kansas, New Mexico, and Colorado. We now have a shortage of teachers because it was not voted in, and the main reason it was not is because the preachers and those holy figures ran a campaign against voting for it, which was lethal to the proposal because this is the Bible-belt. It is that kind of action which promotes intolerance toward the others, they knowingly try to barrade us with their rhetoric for their beliefs and never taking into account the damaging effects of what they are doing. Rather than looking at the benefits they did a knee-jerk reaction to the proposal, "Because it is against the Bible. We will have alcoholism run through the streets, poverty, and sinners everywhere."-An actual quote from a preacher. They're beliefs are maladaptive and when they try to stop progressive actions it hurts everyone. That is the reason I am intolerant of these self-professed do-gooders, and I'd imagine others are.

[edit on 23-1-2005 by Prince_Machiavelli]

posted on Jan, 23 2005 @ 05:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Carseller4
I was raised Baptist, but I have not stepped in a Church in over 17 years. I stopped going because it got too expensive.
But to blame intolerence on religion is ridiculous. I am tolerent because I am for "life". I am also tolerent because I believe no one deserves "special rights".

Intolerence is wanting to kill a baby for selfish reasons.

Intolerence is wanting gay people to have the right to get married, but not allowing someone to marry their dog, or to marry more than one person.

Tolerance is accepting something.
Yes, the dog example is intolerance. But, more intolerance is in not wanting gay people to have the right of marriage.
Wanting to do something, like killing a baby, is not any kind of tolerance. No one wants to kill a baby. People want to accept the legal practice of killing something that is not really yet a baby- just a few cells of something. Is this any different than flushing your semen down the toilet after masturbation? Sorry for the example, but both involve the death of cells that have the potential to be a baby, but aren't yet babies. Shall we make masturbation illegal?

Have you never masturbated? If yes, you are about the only fraction of a percent above adolescence that never has.

The example is a bit perverted, but the logic is what matters. Instead of poking fun and shock at this example, poke in errors in logic.

[edit on 1/23/05 by RedDragon]

[edit on 1/23/05 by RedDragon]

posted on Jan, 23 2005 @ 06:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Prince_Machiavelli

Take for example, Oklahoma. Teachers are in the top five of lowest paid teachers in the nation, and they are in the top ten of educational statistics. They're pay is due to a corrupt former Governor, Frank Keating, and lack of economic strength to support all the other budget costs including education. "Because it is against the Bible. We will have alcoholism run through the streets, poverty, and sinners everywhere."-An actual quote from a preacher. They're beliefs are maladaptive and when they try to stop progressive actions it hurts everyone. That is the reason I am intolerant of these self-professed do-gooders, and I'd imagine others are.

Well, maybe it also shows that money alone is not the key to good academic results. Too bad OK is losing teachers, though..the kids lose in the end.

Frank Keating's reputation precedes him. What a jerk.

Ironically, we're still fighting the same battle here in the "enlightened" northeast irt some types of gambling.

posted on Jan, 23 2005 @ 09:16 PM
link   
Jsobecky,
I wish you & yours good luck with that. Its a tough struggle that takes time to change the peoples mind. This last election (04) is when we finally passed the proposel with 7% winning.

posted on Jan, 23 2005 @ 09:22 PM
link   
jerry falwell MUST FALL!!!!!!!! we were founded on religious FREEDOM! FREEDOM!!! anyone remember what that term means? guess not. wish i had such HIGH friends as the bushes have. might as well BURN the consitution. i AM SICK with the state of america. thank god i have reletives in other countries(countries that are laughing at us people!!)

posted on Jan, 23 2005 @ 10:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043

What !!!!!! you don't like my answer? You tell me a thing like that man told my husband and you will get and answer just like the one above.

Ignorant people tell ignorant tales.

So marg, you insult mentally handicapped people and think it's A-OK? Ignorant people say ignorant things. The guy that said that to your husband isn't retarded, he's ill informed. Many people are ill informed, conservative, liberal, anarchist - that doesn't make them retarded. An unfortunate act of nature or genetics does that. If this were about anything other than conservatives/Christians you'd have at least been reprimanded by other members if not warned for a statement like that. The fact you can't even see what's wrong with what you said is appaling. For posterities sake I'll leave it at that.

As a Christian I absolutely 'effing detest Jerry Falwell. Many, many Christians think the man is completely off base (and he is). Many moreso than actually follow him. I'm so sick of people using Fallwell as the basis for why Christians are "evil". MOST DON'T PAY ATTENTION TO A DAMN THING HE SAYS! It's like when "righties" compare all Democrats to communists. Pigeon-holing everything you don't agree with is easy, but it doesn't make it a good idea.

But the fact that the study essentially doesn't say what the article is hinting at doesn't matter to anyone, just as long as they can voice their opinion: Christians are EEEEvil.

[edit on (1/23/0505 by PistolPete]

posted on Jan, 23 2005 @ 11:39 PM
link   
I was going to stay away from this topic, because i don't really like discussing religions...but the trend that i am seeing happening not only in these boards, but on the US is a bit disturbing.

First of all, as i have said many times before, I am not a religious person, I was raised one, but i don't subscribe to any religious doctrine. I am not an atheist either, but i do believe that no matter what religion you follow they all deserve to exist with one another, as long as it is a moderate view, and not a view that is used as an excuse to kill people that are not followers of your religion...

Anyways, i am seeing that atheists and Liberals seem to have been working together to ban many Christian/Catholic symbols, and even the mention of the bible or bibles from University and College campuses in the US, and even the word God from the pledge of allegiance...yet, liberals and others are working on the rights of other religions to be taught in our institutions, including making their books available, such as the Koran.

There have been instances that even under the guise of "freedom of speech," quite a few Islamic extremists have given speeches which are full of hatred in University campuses in the US. I made threads with links in these same forums which corroborate what I am stating.

Now, this nation was founded as a Christian nation, even in the Declaration of Independance we can find clear examples that this is true.

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.

Excerpted from.
www.usconstitution.net...

Wether or not people agree with it, this nation was founded as a Christian nation, as i said people have the right, and should keep the right, to follow any religion they want, but since when does the right of people to be able to follow and exercise any religion they want, as long as they don't interfere with the rights of others, mean that they can abolish or ban Christianity, which seems to be the goal of many?

Anyways, i find it very interesting that Al Jazeera, which is an Islamic news source which is pro-terrorist and pro-Islamic extremist, would make such an article...

---Edited for errors and to add comments---

[edit on 23-1-2005 by Muaddib]

posted on Jan, 24 2005 @ 01:03 AM
link   
muaddib,

The passage you cite says nothing about Christ, Jesus or God, it says creator.
If it is the random events of the Universe that has created one, then the random events of the Universe are one's creator.

How you come up with that as evidence of this being a so-called Christian nation tells more about you than the Constitution.

I think in the founding of the country it is probably a minimization of references to God and religion that is more prominent. While there are references to God from time to time the founders probably would not have stood for excess religion in the government. They came from many different faiths, and some were probably religious doubters to boot.

posted on Jan, 24 2005 @ 03:53 AM
link   
Of sourse we Christians are becomming more vocal, more outspoken, more intolerant. We have seen the trend the rest of the world is following. We have seen the name Christ becomming a dirty word in Europe and the more liberal areas of the US. We have watched as more and more our children being targeted by the immoral for Indoctination. Why abstain from sex when you can be a 15 year old slut? Why respect yourself and your body enough to wait untill you are in a loving realtionship when you can # anything in sight, male or female, and just have an abortion when the inevitable happens. Why respect the family and our children when we can murder them as they lie in the womb? Why honor your parents when you can sue them? Why teach our children to be responsible members of society, and discipline them when they are misbeahaved when we can let them do whatever they want, stuff them full of ritalin and put them in therapy instead? Why educate our children or provide for them when the government will?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join