It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tech billionaires think we live in the Matrix and have asked scientists to get us out

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+5 more 
posted on Oct, 9 2016 @ 06:02 AM
link   
This is a crazy story but it shows the times we're living in when it comes to Science and Technology. This isn't from Alex Jones website but from CNBC. There was a time when you would only hear things like this from David Icke and now it's everywhere.

Here's more:

Two of the technology world's most powerful billionaires are concerned we are living in a Matrix-style simulated world and are working with scientists to break us out.

In an article in The New Yorker, writer Ted Friend explains that the idea of the "simulation hypothesis" has been on the rise among tech's elite.

"Many people in Silicon Valley have become obsessed with the simulation hypothesis, the argument that what we experience as reality is in fact fabricated in a computer; two tech billionaires have gone so far as to secretly engage scientists to work on breaking us out of the simulation," Friend claimed.

Neither of the billionaires were named in the piece.

www.cnbc.com...

Now, I don't think it's a crazy story because they think we live in a simulation. I think that's the only conclusion that can be reached when you look at the evidence. I also think they see technology that might not be available for 5 or 6 years from now and they're blown away.

The reason I think it's crazy is because they want to break out of the simulation. This is the 1st time I have heard about breaking out of the simulation and on it's face it sounds crazy. Here's more:

Earlier this year, Tesla boss Elon Musk said that there's "a billion to one chance we're living in base reality", meaning the billionaire thinks the odds are that we are living in a computer simulation. Musk argues that some technology is becoming indistinguishable from real life. He took the example of the game "Pong" which has evolved over 40 years into advanced gaming and virtual and augmented reality.

And a Bank of America Merrill Lynch report from last month suggested that there was a 20 percent to 50 percent chance we are living in a simulated virtual world.

"These phones already control us," Altman (President of Y Combinator) declared. "The merge has begun—and a merge is our best scenario. Any version without a merge will have conflict: we enslave the AI or it enslaves us. The full-on-crazy version of the merge is we get our brains uploaded into the cloud. I'd love that."

"We need to level up humans, because our descendants will either conquer the galaxy or extinguish consciousness in the universe forever. What a time to be alive!"

When you read further though it makes sense. They want to break out of the simulation by uploading our brains to the cloud which I think is inevitable. I have been saying for years humans will have to merge with AI and the best way to do this will be in the cloud. Our universe can be simulated by brains in the cloud and this happens ad infinitum. So you have brains in the cloud within brains in the cloud that keep producing simulated universes as they merge with AI.

Interesting times we live in indeed!

posted on Oct, 9 2016 @ 06:10 AM
link   
a reply to: neoholographic

It is indeed interesting times and I say bon voyage to all those merging their brains int to the AI world the billionaires are making.

There are esoteric practices that can unite our consciousness beyond the illusion of space time reality, to me it seems as though they are going to try to convince people that we are already in a "matrix" so why not jump into "ours" and become immortal!

+23 more 
posted on Oct, 9 2016 @ 06:10 AM
link   

Being a billionaire and being a nut are not mutually exclusive.

Some people have found The Matrix movies so cool, they just can't accept reality anymore.

Anyway, in any instances, how would "uploading our brains to the cloud" help break out of any simulation?? Wouldn't the cloud (which is a very physical storage system) be part of the "simulation" too?

The whole thing lacks a small detail called "logic".

posted on Oct, 9 2016 @ 06:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: elementalgrove

It is indeed interesting times and I say bon voyage to all those merging their brains int to the AI world the billionaires are making.

There are esoteric practices that can unite our consciousness beyond the illusion of space time reality, to me it seems as though they are going to try to convince people that we are already in a "matrix" so why not jump into "ours" and become immortal!

Excellent Quote!

This is true. In a sense they want to create gods in the cloud.

posted on Oct, 9 2016 @ 06:16 AM
link   
a reply to: elementalgrove

You could very well be right. I've seen other realities, I've had my share of paranormal experiences.

I still don't think that this universe is an illusion. If it is, then so are all of those other realities, multiverses, and the "nirvana" or "illumination" many seek.

All universes have their importance and are a part of the greater scheme of things. Saying that one of them is an illusion just because we found a movie cool, is not only foolish but in my opinion also disrespectful to those 13 billion years of evolution the Universe has just gone through.

edit on 9-10-2016 by swanne because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2016 @ 06:22 AM
link   
a reply to: swanne

It is not mean it to be in a disrespectful tone. To me this universe is quite important within the evolutionary process of our souls.

I simply mean that there are varying levels to experience and from one perspective it could be said that this is an illusion, that we wake up from when we die and a little known molecule is released.

I think this whole cloud notion is a literal trap of soul and find it to be dangerous indeed.

Having seen the immortal nature of consciousness why would one wish to "merge" with a creation of man for eternity?
edit on America/ChicagoSundayAmerica/Chicago10America/Chicago1031amSunday6 by elementalgrove because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2016 @ 06:24 AM
link   

Where's the evidence that 13 billion years of evolution occurred? On a fundamental level of reality we know distinctions between time don't exist. The laws of Physics work the same forwards or backwards.

So you wouldn't need a universe evolving. You just need encoded information about one universe and this information could be simulated ad infinitum.

Just like you can simulate an infinite set of baseball games or poker hands by just encoding the rules to baseball or poker. This actually makes more sense and has more support from observed evidence than any real objective universe.
edit on 9-10-2016 by neoholographic because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2016 @ 06:30 AM
link   
Sorry if I came on harsh, it was not my intention; my apologies!

originally posted by: elementalgrove

I simply mean that there are varying levels to experience and from one perspective it could be said that this is an illusion, that we wake up from when we die and a little known molecule is released.

I've woken up from a dream in which I've lived an entired lifetime, grew old, and died. When I opened my eyes, I was in my bed, confusingly staring at the wooden ceiling. I've learned to accept both existences as "real", to my empiricist mind at least. I just can't qualify this life I've dreamed of as an "illusion", not even from my current reality point of view.

I think, therefore I am.

I think this whole cloud notion is a literal trap of soul and find it to be dangerous indeed.

Yes, indeed, I agree most vehemently.

edit on 9-10-2016 by swanne because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2016 @ 06:40 AM
link   

So now we are supposed to ignore science? We're supposed to pretend that the Universe wasn't created 13 billion years ago, but actually was already built and created in an instant?

The evidences of the Universe's age, by the way, are everywhere. Cosmic background radiation, dwarf star age, the Sun's rate of nuclear fusion, the expansion of galaxies, the age of rocks on Earth, the fossils embedded in rocks, the giant meteor that left a world-extinction event and a crater in Yucatan, the materials on Earth which have been forged in the heart of a dying star.

But no, let's ignore that science. Let's ask scientists to upload our minds into stupid hard drives, but let's ignore what astrophysics and geology have to say about the universe and the world.

posted on Oct, 9 2016 @ 06:44 AM
link   
We are but fractions of our selves. The idea is bueatiful and sad. If we live in a computer generated multiverse where billions apon billions of planets earths are and you and me dwell. Then consciousness is split billions of times and death only releases you into another consciousness on a slightly different version of earth to be played out with the rules and games slightly diffrent.

However the question is how does the game stop?
Is it a labyrinth?

posted on Oct, 9 2016 @ 06:49 AM
link   
a reply to: elementalgrove

You said:

Having seen the immortal nature of consciousness why would one wish to "merge" with a creation of man for eternity?

I also think consciousness is immortal and we have a Quantum Mind.

What will happen though for future generaions, if we don't destroy ourselves, is they will merge with AI. They will have to because of things like big data. Our consciousness is trapped or tied to our 3D bodies and our limited by death, disease and processing power.

We can only process so much information. Part of the reason why we need machine intelligence is to make sense of all the data.

What is big data?

Every day, we create 2.5 quintillion bytes of data — so much that 90% of the data in the world today has been created in the last two years alone. This data comes from everywhere: sensors used to gather climate information, posts to social media sites, digital pictures and videos, purchase transaction records, and cell phone GPS signals to name a few. This data is big data.[/ex]

www-01.ibm.com...

I think this is from 2013 so big data is increasing. It will only increase faster as the internet of things grows and you have cars communicating with other cars on the road or your microwave communicating with your refrigerator. Big data will grow exponentially faster than it is today.

Human will have to merge with AI or will be lost. I remember reading a Scientist saying that we can become unfit as a species if we lose control of information created by our environment. In just the past few years we have created more data than the whole of human history. Data is growing rapidly.

posted on Oct, 9 2016 @ 06:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: neoholographic

You do know that Quantum Theory was created to account for the Universe's phenomenons, such as the state of electrons around an atom's nucleus?

Which means that if the universe is an illusion, then Quantum Theory becomes mumble-jumble, and so does your "quantum mind".

In any instance, you do know that we have quantum everything, right? We have quantum feet and quantum cabbage and quantum doors and quantum cars - everything has quantum properties in it, not just your mind. "Quantum" means quantity in latin - it is an inherent property of the subatomic particles which compose reality, from the most solid rock to the particles of light.

posted on Oct, 9 2016 @ 07:06 AM
link   

Look, it's easy for the human mind to be trapped when it comes to the distinction between past, present and future. These distinctions are just an illusion. So to you the time between your birth and death may mean something but on a fundamental level of the universe those distinctions have no meaning.

You said:

The evidences of the Universe's age, by the way, are everywhere. Cosmic background radiation, dwarf star age, the Sun's rate of nuclear fusion, the expansion of galaxies, the age of rocks on Earth, the fossils embedded in rocks, the giant meteor that left a world-extinction event and a crater in Yucatan, the materials on Earth which have been forged in the heart of a dying star.

Really?? All of these things can be simulated.

If you have evidence that the 3rd Dimension actually has volume I would like to see it.

posted on Oct, 9 2016 @ 07:14 AM
link   

That's a video on a computer screen, mate.

The real thing is several hundred light-years across, has width + height + depth, is filled not only with stars but also atoms, and that's just one galaxy.

You're basically saying that since you can take a picture of the Universe, then the universe must necessarily be a picture.

That's one of the worst logic possible.

posted on Oct, 9 2016 @ 07:16 AM
link   

What idiocy. Uploading yourself into "the cloud" is not escaping from the Matrix. Even within the analogy of the film, that would be entering yet another level of the Matrix. A matrix inside a matrix. Unless someone finds a way to influence the physical world with computer code or interact with the spiritual realm, and somehow I don't think that's what these semi-brilliant lucky guys are thinking.

posted on Oct, 9 2016 @ 07:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: swanne

You do know that Quantum Theory was created to account for the Universe's phenomenons, such as the state of electrons around an atom's nucleus?

Which means that if the universe is an illusion, then Quantum Theory becomes mumble-jumble, and so does your "quantum mind".

In any instance, you do know that we have quantum everything, right? We have quantum feet and quantum cabbage and quantum doors and quantum cars - everything has quantum properties in it, not just your mind. "Quantum" means quantity in latin - it is an inherent property of the subatomic particles which compose reality, from the most solid rock to the particles of light.

This is a total misunderstanding of Quantum Mechanics. Quantum properties were said to be cut off from the wet and warm classical world. This was until the advent of Quantum Biology.

The reason why this is important when it comes to consciousness is because properties like entanglement, non locality and superposition are connected to a self aware thinking brain. Quantum doors don't think. So being self aware of these properties in nature gives us a huge advantage as a species.

posted on Oct, 9 2016 @ 07:19 AM
link   

They're not alone , MIT Cosmologist Max Tegmark also believes the Universe may be a mathematical construct, a belief I think has merit.

posted on Oct, 9 2016 @ 07:21 AM
link   

That's a video on a computer screen, mate.

The real thing is several hundred light-years across, has width + height + depth, is filled not only with stars but also atoms, and that's just one galaxy.

You're basically saying that since you can take a picture of the Universe, then the universe must necessarily be a picture.

That's one of the worst logic possible.

We could be on a computer screen. There could be infinite universes occupying the same space if space has no volume. This is why I asked you for scientific evidence that volume exists. Where's is the evidence that the third dimension is an objective physical reality?

posted on Oct, 9 2016 @ 07:25 AM
link   

I fear that it is you who is misunderstanding Quantum Mechanics. I, on the other hand, have a firm grasp of its actual propositions.

You should stop watching new age and / or sensationalist YouTube videos and actually pick up a book on actual Quantum Physics.

Your interpretation of Entanglement, for instance, is completely erronous, as I keep on telling you. There is no information exchanged between two entangled particles; the state is known simultaneously simply because the states of the two particles are similar and knowing one will automatically let you guess the other's no matter its distance.

Ugh, I give up, I've got to get ready for work. Have fun, Neo.

(Tap on the back)

posted on Oct, 9 2016 @ 07:32 AM
link   

I fear that it is you who is misunderstanding Quantum Mechanics. I, on the other hand, have a firm grasp of its actual propositions.

You should stop watching new age and / or sensationalist YouTube videos and actually pick up a book on actual Quantum Physics.

Your interpretation of Entanglement, for instance, is completely erronous, as I keep on telling you. There is no information exchanged between two entangled particles; the state is known simultaneously simply because the states of the two particles are similar and knowing one will automatically let you guess the other's no matter its distance.

Ugh, I give up, I've got to get ready for work. Have fun, Neo.

(Tap on the back)

What???

I remember, you're the guy that just makes stuff up as you go.

Entanglement isn't about guessing it's about correlations that occur in experiments. There's no guessing needed. All of the guessing in the world isn't going to correlate entangled particle pairs. That's just nonsense.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join