It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Innocent after 20 years on death row

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2005 @ 02:03 PM
link   
Great idea to help a cause right here on this board! Please read on!

Think for a minute about everything that you did from 1977-1997. Now,
erase it all. That’s 20 years gone – BOOM – just like that. I’m only
21, so that would be a LIFETIME.

I saw a play that really moved me called “The Exonerated”. In short,
the play tells the TRUE stories of people who spent years on death row
before being found innocent and set free.

The play ran for years, but unfortunately, isn’t running anymore. But I
just saw Court TV is doing a film-version of the same play with some
bigtime actors/actresses i.e. Danny Glover, Susan Sarandon, etc.. It
airs on Jan.27th @ 9PM, but I’d check their site to be sure if it’s the
same in your time zone or whatever. www.courttv.com

I’m hoping that I could collect more people’s opinions here so I can
print and mail them to my Congressman and even my Governor. Letters
from actually people are powerful! Here’s a link to another
documentary, which gave me the idea of how to get involved!
deadlinethemovie.com...

So if you have thoughts on the death penalty, please share them here.
Just imagine if it was you, or your friend, or family sitting innocent
on death row. FYI One of my favorite songs has the line, “If you’re not
going to make something better, than you’re just IN THE WAY!” Let’s
all make something better right now.

Thanks so much!!

posted on Jan, 26 2005 @ 05:35 PM
link   
I find the death penalty to be necessary...if it is certain the person committed the crime...as in that pr#$% Mark Peterson who killed his wife and unborn child. But, I suppose if a jury isn't certain about someones guilt, then they shouldn't be finding people guilty. It's a double edged sword. If someone plans and commits such a crime as this, should we the taxpayers pay to have them live out their lives in prison? Criminals need to know that there are some crimes that are so intolerable that their lives will be taken if they decide to pursue that path.

Just wait if the NWO takes over or the Omega Agency. Not only will there be a death penalty, but it will be swift. No more years and years of appeals. Committ certain crimes and get executed immediately.....back to basics kind of like the old west!! They used to hang people for stealing horses back then......

posted on Jan, 26 2005 @ 06:15 PM
link   
It could have been worse. He could have been executed. That is one of the reasons I am anti death penalty. Since we cannot give life, we have no right to give death. There are so many miscarriages of justice that it is just not safe to be handing out the death penalty.

For twenty years this man was considered to be a murderer. He could have been killed. Now more evidence comes along to exonerate him. At least he cam be compensated - if he'd been executed, we wouldn't have been able to bring him back from the dead.

posted on Jan, 26 2005 @ 06:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by tflon
So if you have thoughts on the death penalty, please share them here.
Just imagine if it was you, or your friend, or family sitting innocent
on death row. FYI One of my favorite songs has the line, “If you’re not
going to make something better, than you’re just IN THE WAY!” Let’s
all make something better right now.

Well, Canada abolished the death penalty in 1970 and I'm glad of it. I don't agree that taking a life for a life is the answer. Further, it doesn't appear to be a deterrent to murder in the U.S. Then there's the question of true guilt. Many times in the law's zeal to soothe the public angst the wrong person is tried and convicted. Its happened many times in Canada: David Milgaard spent 22 years in prison for a murder he didn't commit. Others wrongly convicted in Canada: Guy Paul Morin, Donald Marshall, Stephen Truscott.... In fact there was an article about it in the paper today.

Report on Wrongful Convictions

Wrongfully convicted & exonerated from CBC archives

Milgaard Inquiry

If it happens in Canada, you can bet its happening in the US, the UK and elsewhere.

[edit on 26/1/05 by AlwaysLearning]

posted on Jan, 27 2005 @ 12:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Pisky
It could have been worse. He could have been executed. That is one of the reasons I am anti death penalty. Since we cannot give life, we have no right to give death. There are so many miscarriages of justice that it is just not safe to be handing out the death penalty.

For twenty years this man was considered to be a murderer. He could have been killed. Now more evidence comes along to exonerate him. At least he cam be compensated - if he'd been executed, we wouldn't have been able to bring him back from the dead.

Could have been worse? tell him that ! Compensated? for 20 years of his life, and his reputation? pfft folk still beleive money can buy/pay for anything.
Personally Id rather be executed than rot on death row for 20 years. !!!

new topics

top topics

join