It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

MS Internet Explorer Losing Dominance (moved from ATSNN)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2005 @ 01:16 PM
link   
In roughly six months Microsoft's Internet Explorer has lost 5% of the market, almost all of that to the same rival. Since Firefox was released about a year ago it has attracted a great deal of attention. Security concerns are the most common motive for switching. Internet Explorer's flaws are commonly targeted by spyware and other malicious programs because it is the leading browser.

story.news.yahoo.com
To be sure, Microsoft has started to deliver automated software updates for Internet Explorer as well as for the Windows XP (news - web sites) operating system. Last year, the Redmond, Washington company deployed a major interim update to Windows XP that included security enhancements for Internet Explorer, including a pop-up ad blocker.

But critics say such moves by Microsoft were too little, too late, which have led to the rapid rise in the popularity of Firefox and other Web browsers.

According to Web statistics tracking firm WebSideStory Inc., Internet Explorer held a 90.3 percent share of U.S. browser usage at the middle of January, compared with a 95.5 percent share in mid-2004.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

The biggest surprise about this article to me was simply that I've never even heard of firefox. As far as I was concerned, the microsoft monopoly was completely unchallenged, unless of course you were a Mac user. I am planning on talking to a couple of tech savvy friends, but barring heavy criticism of firefox from them, I will be switching. It is to be hoped that we are getting a look at a diverse and competitive future for the internet which will lower software prices (firefox is free) and reduce online privacy violations.

new topics

join