It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

America's Cartoon Characters vie for Presidency

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 8 2016 @ 08:41 AM
link   
Why does it happen to be the case that American voters have a "choice" of one of two very animated people to chose for our presidency? I call them "actors" because both disgustingly overly display the emotions (true or false) they wish to convey. Neither displays in physical appearance the core values that Americans want and usually see in their political leaders. They are both cartoonish, jokes, caricatures of real statesmen/statewomen of questionable substance. Basically, what the Hell has happened to us for these two clowns to be presented to us?

'Reminds me of that old song "Where are the clowns...don't worry they're here."

posted on Oct, 8 2016 @ 09:04 AM
link   
a reply to: Aliensun

Actually, they are very clever manipulators. Part of their image is to play dumb so we dismiss them.

posted on Oct, 8 2016 @ 09:20 AM
link   
a reply to: Aliensun

It is somewhat predictable on a historical basis. It has become clear the political process in this country is broken all to hell. Consider just the last 8 years or so. We have in place a president who is actually a good leader. His policies are not perfect (he is human), but they are decent and headed in the right direction for the most part.

But we also have in place a Congress who has actively worked to do nothing but obstruct the current president, without regard to his policies. This is a known fact.

And while it is worse with this Congress than in recent history, the trend of putting party first over everything else has been growing for a while.

The end result of all this is that people who would truly be good leaders are not interested in the job. They either have enough honor and integrity to recognize the hell the job has become, or they are more interested in their personal profit in the private sector.

Of the current crop of candidates for the job, one I think is mostly doing it out of reflex. She has been in political life for a long time and has a good chance of making history as the first woman president of the US. Noting that most advanced industrial countries have had women leaders for quite a while, and the "exceptional" US is lagging behind. She is, however, a solid member of the 1% club, so I at least am skeptical of just how much good she would do the majority of the country. Especially since if we don't get a decent Congress this time, it will just be more of the same. The GOP will band together to obstruct her at every step, the actual policies be damned.

The other one is seeking the job for reasons of self-aggrandizement. He likes the spotlight and the power. He's the Rob Ford of the US. What few policies he has set forth indicate he is totally a 1%'er, and again, skepticism is high that he will do any good for the bulk of Americans. Note that his tax plan is estimated to result in a roughly 3 ~ 8% income increase for middle class incomes, while it would result in a 14%+ increase for the wealthy and a 21%+ increase for the 1%ers. This is more trickle down crap, which has been shown repeatedly to be a miserable failure of an economic model for everybody but the wealthy.

Trump Tax Plan Analysis Source

This could go on for pages, but the bottom line is, the history of the trend of how politics works in this country, just during my personal lifetime, has resulted in a not-unpredictable situation where the only people interested in the job are the clowns and crooks (and I do not mean Hillary with "crooks"), with a few idealists who keep trying to wake the country up to a different way (even though Libertarianism would be a disaster for the US at this stage. Libertarianism requires a free market to work, and we have anything but that in the US) working around the edges.

The corporate plutocracy is in full swing, and until that is brought down, by people waking up and voting the bastards out of office, we will continue to have less than wonderful choices for this job.

new topics

join