It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Experts said Arctic sea ice would melt entirely by September 2016 - they were wrong

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 15 2016 @ 03:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Greven

Maybe I misread it. I saw a prediction for 25% increase in carbon dioxide levels by 2000, which did not occur. I also saw expected cooling in certain layers of the atmosphere, which I have not heard of occurring.

If I misread the prediction you referred to, it's only because I do have other things to do besides point out the obvious.

TheRedneck

posted on Oct, 19 2016 @ 08:38 PM
link   
a reply to: TheRedneck

Uh, yeah that happened. I explained that in the post; while the report dates from 1969, the data is significantly earlier. This exceeded a 25% increase in CO2 quite considerably.

Additionally, yeah, stratospheric cooling is thing. I'm surprised you haven't heard of it.

The greenhouse effect works like this:
1) Radiation is emitted from the very hot Sun
2) Shortwave (mostly) radiation penetrates the atmosphere and strikes the Earth's surface.
3) The cooler Earth's surface emits longwave radiation.
4) Without the greenhouse effect, there would be a stable temperature at about 255K - but it's obviously higher.
5) Some escaping longwave radiation is intercepted and re-emitted by some atmospheric gases - these are greenhouse gases.
6) Part of the re-emitted longwave radiation is directed towards the Earth's surface; the rest can escape.
7) This effectively redistributes heat on Earth to lower elevations.
8) Now you know why it gets cooler with height (in the troposphere, anyway there is weirdness in the thinner atmosphere higher up) and why weather exists as we know it.

It ain't just one layer, either; outbound longwave radiation have to pass through a minefield of greenhouse gas molecules to escape. It's not just Earth that this effect appears; the upper atmosphere of Venus is vastly cooler than Earth's.
edit on 20Wed, 19 Oct 2016 20:42:37 -0500America/ChicagovAmerica/Chicago10 by Greven because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2016 @ 10:03 PM
link   
I agree 100% true American. Sadly the masses parrot what the idiot box tells them to parrot, as if its a thought, of their own. So discussing the matter is akin to banging ones head against a brick wall. Life's too short.

new topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join