It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Late Night TV Host Johnny Carson Dies

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2005 @ 12:50 PM
link   
TV legend Johnny Carson has died at the age of 79. He passed away "peacefully" today in California from complications of emphysema, according to family members. Carson was best known for his 30 year stint as host of late night TV's "The Tonight Show." He is survived by his wife Alexis, his sons Chris and Cory, and an extended network of family, friends and fans.

charlotte.com
Johnny Carson, the "Tonight Show" TV host who served America a smooth nightcap of celebrity banter, droll comedy and heartland charm for 30 years, has died. He was 79.

"Mr. Carson passed away peacefully early Sunday morning," his nephew, Jeff Sotzing, told The Associated Press. "He was surrounded by his family, whose loss will be immeasurable. There will be no memorial service."

Sotzing would not give further details, including the time of death or the location.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Carson served in the Navy for 3 years, after which he immediately entered the world of show biz. He started his career as a magician, then moved to radio and game shows.

In 1962, he began hosting The Tonight Show with Ed McMahon as his sidekick Each show started with McMahon's booming and now-infamous "Heeeeeeeere's Johnny!" which brought Carson sweeping onto stage to deliver a droll and always entertaining monologue on current events. Carson also played a host of characters on the show, including psychic "Carmac the Magnificent."

One of the most memorable (and relevant) events on the show was the appearance of Uri Geller as a guest. Carson wanted Geller - known for claiming he was able to bend objects with mindpower alone - to provide a demonstration of his abilities. Carson produced several spoons and invited Geller to bend them; he was unable to do so, and that night in 1973 is often regarded as Geller's first true exposure as a hoax.

Johnny Carson has, over the course of his career, won 6 Emmy awards, an induction into the Television Hall of Fame, a George Foster Peabody Award, and a Presidential Medal of Freedom.

He retired from television in 1992 and largely stayed out of the public eye since.

[edit on 23-1-2005 by Banshee]

posted on Jan, 23 2005 @ 12:56 PM
link   
Fox News is just broadcasting it also ..... how many of us fell asleep to Johnny Carson for years?

What is amazing is he was still writing material for people up until just recently.

jm

posted on Jan, 23 2005 @ 12:59 PM
link   
now being reported that he died "very peacefully" according to his nephew.

he had emphysema.

link   
I'm so sad.

Good night and God Bless, Johnny.

link   

Originally posted by justme1640
Fox News is just broadcasting it also ..... how many of us fell asleep to Johnny Carson for years?

What is amazing is he was still writing material for people up until just recently.

jm

He was actually writing material for "rival" David Letterman.

posted on Jan, 23 2005 @ 01:00 PM
link   
I'm watching it now on the television!

I remember staying up just to watch his monologue and his first guest.

It was always worth staying up late to watch his antics!

Farewell to you Johnny. You're the greatest!

[edit on 23/1/05 by Intelearthling]

posted on Jan, 23 2005 @ 01:03 PM
link   
I met Johnny when he came to accept ownership of a learjet and we were giving him a tour of the plant. I was excited to meet the guy who put me to sleep many nights. What struck me asif hit by a hammer was how shy and unimpressed he was with hmself.

Another good human being struck-down by tobacco

posted on Jan, 23 2005 @ 01:05 PM
link   
Oh, my I have not Idea I just found out here in ATSNN, how sad he was a TV host Icon, he will be missed. That is for sure.

posted on Jan, 23 2005 @ 01:07 PM
link   
Johnny was the best, he will be sorely missed...

m...

posted on Jan, 23 2005 @ 01:10 PM
link   
they.... "Fox" says he hosted over 22,000 guests over his career.

Jerry Lewis is on the phone with Fox and saying that Johnny was very very shy.... I just can't see that...

I remember, that when I was a kid, sometimes my dad would let me stay up late and watch the show... Boy I really thought I was getting something special when he would do that...

posted on Jan, 23 2005 @ 01:12 PM
link   
My god, how sad.

I grew up watching his show, many times I got in trouble for staying up late and watching his show.

He is a funny man.

I'll never forget back in the early 80's durring the gas shortage, he made a joke about a toilet paper shortage. The next day it spread as a rumor and people all over were hording toilet paper.

Everything this man did was awesome. He gave so many a chance on his show, and many of the famous stars out there today owe their big break to Johnny Carson.

He will be missed indeed.

posted on Jan, 23 2005 @ 01:21 PM
link   
Rest well and kudos for all your antics Mr. Carson.

posted on Jan, 23 2005 @ 01:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Springer
Johnny was the best, he will be sorely missed...

m...

they should put the late show reruns on tv, i could use a few laughs.

wow is he the funniest!... what a chemistry he had on that show.

go get 'em Johnny. RIP.

posted on Jan, 23 2005 @ 01:33 PM
link   
What a great loss and what a great man. He will be missed.

Godspeed to you Mr. Carson.

B.

posted on Jan, 23 2005 @ 02:19 PM
link   
Its very sad to see him go. I did'nt grow up watching him but I did see a lot of old tapes with him on Late Night.

RIP Johnny

posted on Jan, 23 2005 @ 02:20 PM
link   
Carson was a very funny man. The last joke I heard him tell was in a telephone inteview with David Letterman. Letterman asked Carson how the weather was in California and Carson answered, "Great! The mudslides are putting out the forest fires."

What great talent.

posted on Jan, 23 2005 @ 03:25 PM
link   
I'm sooo sorry...

I grew up watching him evenings and laughing at his jokes, nightime tv was never the same since he left- Rest in Peace, Johnny.

posted on Jan, 23 2005 @ 05:11 PM
link   
Good bye Johnny. I will surley miss the golf swing.

posted on Jan, 23 2005 @ 05:17 PM
link   
I can see him walking thru those pearly gates now and saint Peter yelling..."HEErrrreeesss...JOHNNY!!!!!!"

I too shall miss him as I have since he left the Tonight show.

Love and light,

Wupy

posted on Jan, 23 2005 @ 06:13 PM
link   
Very sad. Mr Carson will be missed by many and remembered by all. The king of latenight talk shows. Comedy with class.
I grew up watching this man and missed him very much after he retired.
May God be with his family and close friends at this most difficult time.

Regards,

Karen

top topics

<<   2 >>

join