It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Man Votes Illegally For Years

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2005 @ 12:46 PM
link   
Douglas Kerley, a Republican who attempted a Congressional run in 1984, has until last November, been voting illegally. Due to a felony gun conviction in 1975, which he was led to believe had been expunged from his record, he should have been barred from purchasing guns as well as voting -- but that was not the case.

seattletimes.nwsource.com
Douglas Kerley has voted in more than two dozen elections since 1995 and even served as a precinct worker in the 1980s.

But until November, the 55-year-old Lynnwood man was voting illegally.

"I shouldn't have been voting or buying hundreds of guns," he said, "but I was."

Kerley, a registered Republican who even ran a congressional campaign in 1984, said he had no idea he had cast illicit ballots in King and then Snohomish counties until about 18 months ago, when his application for a federal firearms-dealer license was denied because of a 1975 felony gun conviction.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

A unique example of the problems our system has produced. Though undoubtedly in the minority, this shows that mistakes are indeed made; though 20 years of the same mistake is a head scratcher to me. One of the main points in this article is the allowance of gun purchases despite conditions set up as preventive.

I think Douglas Kerley says it best with this,"The process is everything." The process is everything and we keep finding examples of how the process fails. There are accounts of voter fraud, intentional or not, all over the country and they continue to undermine for me the integrity of our system.

[edit on 23-1-2005 by Banshee]

posted on Jan, 23 2005 @ 03:18 PM
link   
The list just got bigger, with ~130 more illegal votes being recorded. In todays day and age, this type of oversight is completely uncalled for and tends to lend credibility towards the possibility of voter fraud and miscounted elections in other parts of the country.
More Voting Felons

new topics

join