It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chicago police announce new limits on use of force

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 7 2016 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Chicago has announced that police will be implementing some new guidelines that will "limit" the use of force.

Looks like a major micro-managing effort to attempt to reduce injuries and deaths associated with police and crime.

Read all about it.

Chicago police announce new limits on use of force

The Chicago Police Department, facing a U.S. Justice Department probe of allegedly widespread civil rights violations, on Friday announced new limits on when officers can use force.

The department has been heavily criticized since the court-ordered release of video showing Officer Jason Van Dyke shooting 17-year-old Laquan McDonald 16 times as the teen armed with a knife appeared to walk away from police. The fatal shooting led to sustained street protests, the firing of police Superintendent Garry McCarthy and the Justice Department probe.

•Requiring that officers see an "immediate threat" before they use force against a fleeing person suspected of a felony. Current guidelines say officers can shoot a fleeing felony suspect who poses a threat. Under the new policy, there should be another threat present — such as a gun.

•Limiting Taser discharges to three during an incident.

•Requiring that officers administer first aid or medical care, whenever possible, to subjects they have used force against. Officers will be expected to show compassion and care.

•A general emphasis on de-escalation, or helping officers use time or distance to their advantage to get control of an incident before resorting to deadly force.

posted on Oct, 7 2016 @ 01:41 PM
link   
How about the criminals stop breaking the law? Naaaaaaa!

posted on Oct, 7 2016 @ 01:49 PM
link   
Criminal Lives Matter!

edit on 10/7/2016 by CaticusMaximus because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2016 @ 01:52 PM
link   
An emphasis on de-escalation... what are they thinking !!

/sarc

Not all crimes should equate to a death sentence by a trigger happy LEO... what a new concept.
'Murka

posted on Oct, 7 2016 @ 01:53 PM
link   
Will the police continue to patrol the neighborhoods
with active awareness or just drive on through now?
I wouldn't blame them if their call response times start
to increase.

posted on Oct, 7 2016 @ 01:56 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

This is Great news!! Thanks for sharing!

To protect and serve means you might die or it might be a dangerous job! Citizens lives do matter!

posted on Oct, 7 2016 @ 01:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheBulk

Let's at least prove them guilty before their death sentencing.

posted on Oct, 7 2016 @ 02:01 PM
link   
All they will do is make it easier for criminals.

Let's all watch in real time as Chicago destroys itself so we know what NOT to do as a country.

posted on Oct, 7 2016 @ 02:11 PM
link   
Sounds like the requirements for any CCW holder honestly.

I carry pepper spray as well as my gun. Firearms use isn't always justified.

That said: police can't afford to lose a fight. If they lose, they die, or the public suffers, or both.

posted on Oct, 7 2016 @ 02:12 PM
link   
a reply to: snowspirit

In the moment, on the street, it is about survival. When someone presents a deadly threat they should be responded to in kind.

posted on Oct, 7 2016 @ 02:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Darkmadness
All they will do is make it easier for criminals.

Let's all watch in real time as Chicago destroys itself so we know what NOT to do as a country.
Yeah ok, like it could get worse

posted on Oct, 7 2016 @ 02:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: WilburnRoach

To protect and serve means you might die or it might be a dangerous job! Citizens lives do matter!

No one should have to volunteer for death to appease the sensibilities of people who don't understand deadly force encounters.

posted on Oct, 7 2016 @ 02:20 PM
link   
Look at the Hey Jackass website.

Looks like it's the criminals' fault !!

posted on Oct, 7 2016 @ 02:28 PM
link   
Wow... when they should be rolling in the military and cracking some heads they try to neuter the cops and appease the criminals. Whatever....

posted on Oct, 7 2016 @ 02:31 PM
link   

•Requiring that officers administer first aid or medical care, whenever possible, to subjects they have used force against. Officers will be expected to show compassion and care.

That one alone leads me to ponder...

Compassion and care after riddling a body with bullets? Unless they plan on traveling in ambulances I don't see how that will change anything.

The cops cuff up someone they just shot because they were / are / going to be a perceived threat. Quite different from how EMTs arrive on a scene. Last thing cops will do is expose themselves to further danger, including blood of 'victims'.

Thats above their pay scale, isn't it?

posted on Oct, 7 2016 @ 02:36 PM
link   

Welcome to the jungle
It gets worse here everyday
Ya learn ta live like an animal
In the jungle where we play
If you got a hunger for what you see
You'll take it eventually
You can have anything you want
But you better not take it from me

In the jungle
Welcome to the jungle
Watch it bring you to your shun na na na
Knees, knees
I wanna watch you bleed

Chicago , One Hell of a Town.
edit on 7-10-2016 by Zanti Misfit because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2016 @ 02:37 PM
link   
the military should be the ones to run things in crime ridden places like chicago

all gang members should be automatically executed

or better yet, screw the wall at mexico.. build one around chicago, and let the place rot

posted on Oct, 7 2016 @ 02:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Perjury

Better yet , send in " Snake " Plissken to Clean up that Mess.

posted on Oct, 7 2016 @ 02:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: snowspirit

originally posted by: TheBulk

I'm talking specifically about criminals with weapons and who are ignoring the commands of police. No officer should have to die because they're restraining themselves from shooting a mad man.

Honestly, I wish they would all quit and leave folks like you to fend for themselves. And I say this as someone who has always been against police brutality.
edit on 7-10-2016 by TheBulk because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2016 @ 02:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: projectvxn

No one should have to volunteer for death to appease the sensibilities of people who don't understand deadly force encounters.

Yes they should! Too many people are joining the military and our police forces to kill someone.

I lived in the city or hood my entire life I know all about dangerous. We need heroic people to be cops not snowflakes that need safe spaces!

Government statistics show that, except for some small blips, serious crime has decreased almost every year from 1994 through 2013. For over a decade Gallup has found that the majority of Americans polled believe crime is up, contrary to the fact that crime rates have plummeted in almost every small and large city since the 1990s. This is not to say that all cities and areas are experiencing decreases in violent crime year after year, but the overall rate of violent crime is significantly lower than historic levels.Brookings. Read more at: www.nationalreview.com...

national review

<<   2  3 >>

join